BYRON ALLEN'S ALLEN MEDIA GROUP ANNOUNCES MULTI-YEAR PARTNERSHIP FOR HBCU GO AND THE SOUTHWESTERN ATHLETIC CONFERENCE

It could depending on the numbers from this year.

This is the secondary deal (streaming) so if this does well, I feel confident in the Commish getting us the best deal after the deal for the primary rights with the four letters are done

Side note: I hope this nixes yall favorite cheerleader for HBCU Pass (yardtalk) because she goes hard for them as if they are the best thing since sliced bread lol

That's where I'm confused, does this deal move games away from HBCU Pass or taking the games they didn't have initially?

This is very interesting concerning some Mid Major FBS programs media deals for their primary rights. Likewise, there are some being critical of the SWAC secondary media rights deal (which is rumored to be 120 million for 10 years - which could be up to 1 million annually per SWAC member) with Byron Allen's Media group. When the ESPN primary rights deal with the SWAC expires next year, the SWAC should be able to ask for more from ESPN because of the secondary rights deal with Bryon Allen Media group or make a deal someone else for the primary rights.

Conference USA

In 2018, the league announced a five-year deal with CBS Sports Network to serve as the primary rights holder. Stadium and Facebook also carry some of the league’s football and basketball games. Schools receive between $400,000 and $500,000 annually.

Mid-American

In 2019, the league and CBS Sports Network announced a four-year extension to televise football and basketball games through the 2022-2023 season. The deal, a four-year extension from the original agreement signed in the 2015-2016 season, is through a sublicense agreement with ESPN. The deal is worth about $8 million a year, which means each of the 12 schools receives about $600,000 annually.

Sun Belt

The league announced in July that it had extended its agreement with ESPN through the 2030-31 academic year. Each school is believed to make about $500,000 annually.

Last edited:
This is very interesting concerning some Mid Major FBS programs media deals for their primary rights. Likewise, there are some being critical of the SWAC secondary media rights deal (which is rumored to be 120 million for 10 years - which could be up to 1 million annually per SWAC member) with Byron Allen's Media group. When the ESPN primary rights deal with the SWAC expires next year, the SWAC should be able to ask for more from ESPN because of the secondary rights deal with Bryon Allen Media group or make a deal someone else for the primary rights.

Conference USA

In 2018, the league announced a five-year deal with CBS Sports Network to serve as the primary rights holder. Stadium and Facebook also carry some of the league’s football and basketball games. Schools receive between $400,000 and $500,000 annually.

Mid-American

In 2019, the league and CBS Sports Network announced a four-year extension to televise football and basketball games through the 2022-2023 season. The deal, a four-year extension from the original agreement signed in the 2015-2016 season, is through a sublicense agreement with ESPN. The deal is worth about $8 million a year, which means each of the 12 schools receives about $600,000 annually.

Sun Belt

The league announced in July that it had extended its agreement with ESPN through the 2030-31 academic year. Each school is believed to make about $500,000 annually.
Jackson State needs our own deal.

WHO NEGOTIATED THIS CONTRACT???

The SWAC has been hoodwinked if this contract is really for 10 years. What if this partnership is very profitable in the beginning... Then SWAC is stuck with the minimum payments for 10 years while Byron Allen smiles all the way to the bank. What if another offer is made from another group that is better than the HBCU Go product? The SWAC would not be able to take advantage of it because of the 10 years agreement. This contract should be up for renegotiation / renewal every 2-3 years!!!

The SWAC has been hoodwinked if this contract is really for 10 years. What if this partnership is very profitable in the beginning... Then SWAC is stuck with the minimum payments for 10 years while Byron Allen smiles all the way to the bank. What if another offer is made from another group that is better than the HBCU Go product? The SWAC would not be able to take advantage of it because of the 10 years agreement. This contract should be up for renegotiation / renewal every 2-3 years!!!
I agree with you I would have not done it for 10 years. However, this is for secondary rights instead of primary rights. ESPN contract for primary rights expires next year - in which ESPN get the rights to all conference games before Bryon Allen. Hopefully, the SWAC office will do a greater deal for the primary rights next year. We know that ESPN is not currently paying the SWAC 12 million dollars a year for the primary rights. Look at this way if we get 12 million for secondary rights, ESPN will have to come up with a lot more money for the primary rights next year - or the SWAC can possibly move on to other media outlets.

Last edited:
Couple of things:

HBCU League Pass + has 3rd rights for FAMU and Grambling content. Most of that will be home football games not picked up, basketball, and baseball games. My question to the forum would you take a 5 year 600M TV deal for our primary rights. That would be 10 million for each school per year. That would be 11 million dollars in TV deals for each school for the next 5 years. That could be game changing for our universities.

Heard the payout is 12 million a year divided by 13. Each school and the SWAC office.

923k per season for the next 10 years

Heard the payout is 12 million a year divided by 13. Each school and the SWAC office.

923k per season for the next 10 years
I know that you need to start somewhere, but ain't no way in the world that the conference should be tied to a TEN YEAR contract.

ice cube what GIF

Not sure there is an opt out clause after a certain amount of time. If you haven’t seen the contract, you just don’t know…..

But it's for secondary rights. Doesn't that mean the SWAC should get more for the ESPN deal with it comes open
They should definitely get more, in that regard. But I'm having a hard time reconciling that particular contract's 10 year term.

Charles is probably better than D Sharp in negotiating contracts. We don't have a lot of leverage. Not a line of vendors waiting to pay for our volleyball, soccer, golf, baseball, softball rights other than J State football. Also lets not forget we would rather pay to see PWI football than SWAC football. We would rather send our top kids to SEC than SWAC. There is a lot of layers to this discussion. I will give it a chance.

But it's for secondary rights. Doesn't that mean the SWAC should get more for the ESPN deal with it comes open

Should get a better contract, however I’m sure the commissioner will shop around and find out if another entity can offer a formidable deal as well and then make a decision. He even have an option of shopping around for a single game of the week on one network of the conference choosing and ESPN or another network get the right of first choice for the remainder up to a certain number….The COPS and Commissioner get paid good money to make these decisions, so I will let them do their job….

If this contract is 10 years that's still good. What everyone is missing is this is the secondary revenue ave a streaming service which means this isn't primary folks. This is a step forward. I'm sure there should be an open window for renegotiation after at least 4 years. But for this being a secondary source of income outside the ESPN deal we are on a good positive path forward.

And the last few years we complained about not having some things like this and then when we get something that's even better than what the other schools in FCS have we complain even more. We are not the Big 10 yall. Once the remaining power 5 conferences get finished with ESPN and the other networks in the coming year then we will see where the TV rights stand with the SWAC.

Charles is probably better than D Sharp in negotiating contracts. We don't have a lot of leverage. Not a line of vendors waiting to pay for our volleyball, soccer, golf, baseball, softball rights other than J State football. Also lets not forget we would rather pay to see PWI football than SWAC football. We would rather send our top kids to SEC than SWAC. There is a lot of layers to this discussion. I will give it a chance.

If this contract is 10 years that's still good. What everyone is missing is this is the secondary revenue ave a streaming service which means this isn't primary folks. This is a step forward. I'm sure there should be an open window for renegotiation after at least 4 years. But for this being a secondary source of income outside the ESPN deal we are on a good positive path forward.

And the last few years we complained about not having some things like this and then when we get something that's even better than what the other schools in FCS have we complain even more. We are not the Big 10 yall. Once the remaining power 5 conferences get finished with ESPN and the other networks in the coming year then we will see where the TV rights stand with the SWAC.
Well said guys!

I know that you need to start somewhere, but ain't no way in the world that the conference should be tied to a TEN YEAR contract.

ice cube what GIF
Why not. That’s excellent for secondary rights.

Why not. That’s excellent for secondary rights.

ejoman said:

Should be or will be?

Back