Swac Media Day ESPN

You gota be a hater if you don't believe the reporter was disrespectful. Deion should've cursed him out for trying to be funny...
It was Deion who took it to a place it didn't have to go. He's there to just answer freaking questions ... and he's worried about someone calling him by his first name at what amounts to nothing more than a giant PR event where 100 percent of questions are going to be softball ones anyway.

Deion got upset because the reporter didn't treat him like Nick Saban ... which the reporter actually did by calling him by his first name ... just like he does with Nick Saban.

There is a point to be made that if Deion said don't call him Deion, then the reporter should have respected that. But Deion was wrong by calling that dude a liar.

Neither one looks good here.
He was wrong about Nick Saban. We all know that and at this point I'm sure Coach Sanders knows that as well. His point, if I'm allowed to speak for him, is that he wanted to be addressed as coach, Coach Prime, or Coach Sanders. That is reasonable.
The reporter was right about Nick. rather than do what he understood Coach Sanders wanted, he decided being right was better so he called him "Deion." Now every married man in here knows that sometimes you can be right, but being technically right instead of doing what is right in the spirit of getting along can cost you. In this case it cost the reporter.

It was Deion who took it to a place it didn't have to go. He's there to just answer freaking questions ... and he's worried about someone calling him by his first name at what amounts to nothing more than a giant PR event where 100 percent of questions are going to be softball ones anyway.
I went to med school at the Univ of Tn in Memphis. the dean of minority affairs was Kenneth Robinson at the time, a well mannered physician and pastor of a vibrant AME church locally that I ended up attending for many years.
Doctor Rob told us on many occasions that he'd worked way too hard for you not to put some respect on his name. You could call him Dr. Robinson, Reverend Robinson, Mr. Robinson, even sir, but you were not going to call him Kenny or Kenneth.
so I'm not mad at Coach Sanders at all. I get where he's coming from and so did the reporter. the reporter just decided being right was more important than acknowledging the spirit of what Coach was asking for.

I mean cmon now be honest...After he corrected him, the reported said it again (Basically a fk you). Yea the JSU posters give off MAGA vibes towards Deion but they aren't wrong on this.

I mean cmon now be honest...After he corrected him, the reported said it again (Basically a fk you). Yea the JSU posters give off MAGA vibes towards Deion but they aren't wrong on this.
MAGA vibes?

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

This is deeper than what people may think and I say that as someone who has family/ interracial family ties at both schools...The state of Mississippi or should I say the state of Ole Mississippi sees Coach Sanders as a threat to the racist status quo order of things that has ruled that state since slavery. Ole Miss and Mississippi St have always had a tradition of being garbage in football..so an HBCU like Alcorn st or JSU easily getting more notoriety in the sport has never sat well with them. I'm not shocked at all an Ole Miss alum acted in that manner towards Coach sanders.
It is not just the state of Mississippi. Any leader especially Black is seen as a threat to the racist stats quo in any profession or discipline where the minority(blacks) is receiving the majority of the benefits. I know ever since Deion college days he has been living in the celebrity bubble but I don't think he has forgotten where he comes from. I think Dieon is pushing the envelope as far and as fast as he can and when that horse drops he is going to hop down and continue to move forward one step at a time like we have always done. Hopefully JSU and the rest of HBCU's we be a little better off for it.

It is not just the state of Mississippi. Any leader especially Black is seen as a threat to the racist stats quo in any profession or discipline where the minority(blacks) is receiving the majority of the benefits. I know ever since Deion college days he has been living in the celebrity bubble but I don't think he has forgotten where he comes from. I think Dieon is pushing the envelope as far and as fast as he can and when that horse drops he is going to hop down and continue to move forward one step at a time like we have always done. Hopefully JSU and the rest of HBCU's we be a little better off for it.
As long as he wins, he should be good. He's assembled a team with top notch talent and I'd be curious if there are 3 or 4 loses up front. And how would impact the fan base? Could Deion withstand heat coming from the JSU fan base, because you can tell he doesn't like to be pushed around. Same with the newspaper...They will continue to "try" to bring him down and hopefully he doesn't take the bait when they throw it out to Prime lake.

I'd love to be in a situation where 3-4 loses would disappoint a fan base such as JSU. I'm looking forward to seeing how this year unfolds for all SWAC teams.

You gota be a hater if you don't believe the reporter was disrespectful. Deion should've cursed him out for trying to be funny...

This incident is bigger than football. As long as we tap dance and entertain, it seems that we are ok. As soon as we want to be respected. We get that just "shut up and dribble mentality". Now they want to start this "Critical Race Theory", where we have to be careful about telling the truth about how blacks were treated in America. I am unsure if we call them a"hater". It's more of being less informed about our history. See the 10 year child of the slave owner use to call the slave by his or her first name. Coach Prime was right to walk away as opposed to being involved in a continued verbal debate with the reporter.

The stadium can call him Rat Ears if they they want to. But If they want an interview they’ll call him coach lol It’s simple as that.

There are journalist in his inbox right now saying they agree with him walking off after being disrespected and that they would love to get an interview 😂.

He don’t have get over shit lol you & the unprofessional journalists are the ones who will have to get over it. Coach ain’t fucking with you new niggas 😂😂😂.
Honestly, the rest of us don’t have to do anything? If he wants to get JSU the attention he seems to want, he will be the one who might need to change. Plus, let him start out like he ended the spring and the media won’t give a damn what he wants. For the record, I think all coaches should be called “Coach ….”, but he better win something, seriously.

Back