Simmons to TxSU?

2005 - 2011 were strong NOLA years. N Phi O (band frat for NOLA natives) were deep those years. I'm not sure if the 80s/90s were strong NOLA years but I do know the Houston area public schools had strong band programs then. Since the 2010s, the Houston public school band programs have been on a major decline .... especially at the black school hence is why I feel our band declined a bit. Also our band recruiting sucks ... we lucked up with NOLA transplants joining our band.

you hit the nail on the head. In the 80s HISD had bands all over plus TSU was open admissions and always appealed to outsiders from other urban areas in the South so that was a perfect combination to build off on.

The Bayou Classic being televised in the 90s plus folks now getting access to other bands thanks to VCR changed things.

The Japan incident was a major black eye to the band in 92. They killed the band for a few months to bring it back but it was a small ensemble basically with an alum who came from the MEAC. By then, HISD bands were on the way down and the power resided at Willowridge but that incident caused a lot of folks to think twice about going there. Prairie View started to gradually pluck a lot of band folks but Southern started to infiltrate and stake its claim plus the Tennessee States and Jackson States.

Once Willowridge took a major hit, there hasn't been a strong black band presence in the city unfortunately that can drive enrollment to a certain place. Blacks that have resources move to the newer and further out burbs but they ain't letting "us" take over their bands no time soon so those kids either drop out of band or deal with the other system until college.

No coincidence Prairie View's band enrollment has grown as it has become a safe alternative for folks no matter what style they come from.

TSU thrived on aggression in the old days and being in the city, you gotta stay more aggressive but also you become the "face" of it also if done right. The Ocean was that at one time.

you hit the nail on the head. In the 80s HISD had bands all over plus TSU was open admissions and always appealed to outsiders from other urban areas in the South so that was a perfect combination to build off on.

The Bayou Classic being televised in the 90s plus folks now getting access to other bands thanks to VCR changed things.

The Japan incident was a major black eye to the band in 92. They killed the band for a few months to bring it back but it was a small ensemble basically with an alum who came from the MEAC. By then, HISD bands were on the way down and the power resided at Willowridge but that incident caused a lot of folks to think twice about going there. Prairie View started to gradually pluck a lot of band folks but Southern started to infiltrate and stake its claim plus the Tennessee States and Jackson States.

Once Willowridge took a major hit, there hasn't been a strong black band presence in the city unfortunately that can drive enrollment to a certain place. Blacks that have resources move to the newer and further out burbs but they ain't letting "us" take over their bands no time soon so those kids either drop out of band or deal with the other system until college.

No coincidence Prairie View's band enrollment has grown as it has become a safe alternative for folks no matter what style they come from.

TSU thrived on aggression in the old days and being in the city, you gotta stay more aggressive but also you become the "face" of it also if done right. The Ocean was that at one time.

I agree. HISD black band programs started to decline in the 90s and it finally went trash by 2010. Also with the explosion of Hispanics in Houston and more blacks going to diverse schools, the black bands have struggled.

Also it's important to note that many black kids in "diverse" schools don't find the corp style marching bands appealing so they skip band altogether so we hv less to recruit from in-state. Our marching band (instrumentalits) have been under 200 for most of the last couple years .... something is wrong with that in the 4th largest city in America

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I’ve said something positive about him lol. Hell I wish he would join the staff at ASU.

I don’t know too much about the old Ocean, but I hear they were a beast. They had a nice little run from like 2005-2012ish. That’s the beastly Ocean I know.

ive always admired & respected the ocean. They go in and be true to themselves, no matter who the are going against. The same Ocean that was at that BOTB against FAMU a few years ago is the same Ocean that was at a BOTB against SU. Hopefully you guys can get your numbers back up (along with Bama State).

Lol....yes, you did. I was talking about folks that represent SU. At the time only one of them had said anything good about him and not much has changed except a good endorsement by TruBluJAG. Them Jukes know something, but they are not talking.

Last edited:
Ask PV when the SU band alum tried to change things and the resistance he got. And he tried to incorporate more MEAC stuff than anything. You hold on to traditions.

Butler was a Tennessee State grad at the end of the day. The job is to enhance the product not change it totally
He’s actually not SU alum though. Also I think Brian will respect Texas Southerns roots even though I feel where @lilC is coming from. No one can deny, Simmons is talented as hell.

He’s actually not SU alum though. Also I think Brian will respect Texas Southerns roots even though I feel where @lilC is coming from. No one can deny, Simmons is talented as hell.

He’s an SU band alum - he went military or somewhere after.

I agree. HISD black band programs started to decline in the 90s and it finally went trash by 2010. Also with the explosion of Hispanics in Houston and more blacks going to diverse schools, the black bands have struggled.

Also it's important to note that many black kids in "diverse" schools don't find the corp style marching bands appealing so they skip band altogether so we hv less to recruit from in-state. Our marching band (instrumentalits) have been under 200 for most of the last couple years .... something is wrong with that in the 4th largest city in America

Blacks killed their own schools by stopping to attend for whatever reason and these new age schools where we ran to ain’t letting us change anything band wise until we turn into the majority and even then they hold us back.

That’s why you gotta respect Mr. Thornton from Willowridge as he turned a corps band into a show band and was very successful despite opposition from a majority white district at the time. They hated that but that was the only band who brought them attention so they had to bite their lips.

When we’re united with resources we can’t be stopped but we’ve bought into we gotta attend non black environments to be successful and killed our own culture.

Simmons has a blank slate to work with and if he can leverage what he learned at SU with what the potential the Ocean has it can work quickly

And it’s now official also

He said same Ocean new wave. I don't feel confident it will be remotely Ocean of Soul old or post-1999 with that statement from an su alum...

Best of luck to Simmons, I enjoyed seeing his virtual "battle" on youtube with Warren from AAMU.

I certainly can understand the apprehension, and even frustration of hiring a graduate of an opposing school to run a program. I, along with most Crats I am close to, were certainly not in favor of TN State hiring Dr. McDonald at the time. However, he has put in the work, and the band is in GREAT shape. No one even gives it a second thought anymore.

Best of luck to Simmons, I enjoyed seeing his virtual "battle" on youtube with Warren from AAMU.

I certainly can understand the apprehension, and even frustration of hiring a graduate of an opposing school to run a program. I, along with most Crats I am close to, were certainly not in favor of TN State hiring Dr. McDonald at the time. However, he has put in the work, and the band is in GREAT shape. No one even gives it a second thought anymore.
Nobody was claiming the AoB is a carbon copy of su before this with no proof but letting run around internet circles since Haymer was on here as a member and a troll.
Butler came from TnSU and UofMichigan. This dude is not only an su alum...but he's new school alum too. You oughtta see all the BS his era has said about the Ocean then and now...so why you want the job there? You never put in work on 3100 Cleburne or enrolled at my hbcu. Ijs...

He’s an SU band alum - he went military or somewhere after.

Blacks killed their own schools by stopping to attend for whatever reason and these new age schools where we ran to ain’t letting us change anything band wise until we turn into the majority and even then they hold us back.

That’s why you gotta respect Mr. Thornton from Willowridge as he turned a corps band into a show band and was very successful despite opposition from a majority white district at the time. They hated that but that was the only band who brought them attention so they had to bite their lips.

When we’re united with resources we can’t be stopped but we’ve bought into we gotta attend non black environments to be successful and killed our own culture.

Simmons has a blank slate to work with and if he can leverage what he learned at SU with what the potential the Ocean has it can work quickly

And it’s now official also
Why did you bring up Mr Thornton? Seeing as how you did that....tell me WHY Simmons has a blank slate? To make it a version of the jukebox over what Mr Thornton himself had a hand in creating with Prof Butler? Again...yall out here lying to kumbyah.

Nobody was claiming the AoB is a carbon copy of su before this with no proof but letting run around internet circles since Haymer was on here as a member and a troll.
Butler came from TnSU and UofMichigan. This dude is not only an su alum...but he's new school alum too. You oughtta see all the BS his era has said about the Ocean then and now...so why you want the job there? You never put in work on 3100 Cleburne or enrolled at my hbcu. Ijs...
I think you misunderstood what @funkie junkie was saying. I believe he was just saying that he understands the apprehension an alum of a school has when a non-alum is brought in to run the program.

he can bring elements back that disappeared - he can grow the band - he isn't inheriting a 300 member band where there will be limitations in terms of size.

And where was all this swac kumbyah for the Ocean before this dude was hired? Lol ijs...wasn't no love or respect for the Ocean before this hire. I know it...and plenty people do too. Lol yall be on these internet streets with double standards. Lol

Why are you so hostile lol

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Wasn't no well wishing or "respect" going on for the Ocean of Soul even when they did things very well and now all of a sudden...because an su alum is involved with them, people have all the love. How is it hostile to be pro-TSU? Lol like I said...yall be out here with double standards and lying for that kumbyah.

And I also said I'm not going to hinder him. But I'm entitled to my opinion on where I marched, put in work, graduated and gave back. I don't tell Bama state hornets what they should look and sound like or who they should hire...ijs...

I get that. Honestly, every HBCU band should have at minimum 4-5 properly degreed candidates in the chamber just in case an opening ever occurs.

So...is there a current Ocean alum that right now today has the qualifications and experience to be offered the head job? If so, Ocean alums should be in the President's office with his resume raising hell and letting the Prez know that "this is who we need and will support as our BD".

If he’s as good as his accolades say he is and he’s able to create his own name under the Oceans brand, then I can see the SU influence being almost nonexistent. If anything, it’ll be the aggressiveness that’ll mimick SU, but Ocean has always been an aggressive “little” band, so it’ll still be them. Recruiting, city connections, new and old traditions, and a better football program will play a huge part in how much success he’ll have in displaying his musicianship through the Ocean.

If he’s as good as his accolades say he is and he’s able to create his own name under the Oceans brand, then I can see the SU influence being almost nonexistent. If anything, it’ll be the aggressiveness that’ll mimick SU, but Ocean has always been an aggressive “little” band, so it’ll still be them. Recruiting, city connections, new and old traditions, and a better football program will play a huge part in how much success he’ll have in displaying his musicianship through the Ocean.
I think there will be more NOLA folks coming to their band.

I get that. Honestly, every HBCU band should have at minimum 4-5 properly degreed candidates in the chamber just in case an opening ever occurs.

So...is there a current Ocean alum that right now today has the qualifications and experience to be offered the head job? If so, Ocean alums should be in the President's office with his resume raising hell and letting the Prez know that "this is who we need and will support as our BD".
Yes there are and yes some applied. The committee mad ethe choice and the administration is backing them. The incoming administration probably knows nothing about Ocean of Soul, etc. TSU is a different hbcu. A check gets things done the way you want it.

Yes there are and yes some applied. The committee mad ethe choice and the administration is backing them. The incoming administration probably knows nothing about Ocean of Soul, etc. TSU is a different hbcu. A check gets things done the way you want it.
Yeah, that's unfortunate. Y'alls alumni association should be able to override that, especially if y'all could collectively present say a $25k check to the band.

Yeah, that's unfortunate. Y'alls alumni association should be able to override that, especially if y'all could collectively present say a $25k check to the band.
Can't override someone contract. That would've been the thing to do the moment the job came open. But alas...our interim administration, like the last one doesn't see the band bringing dollars and footprint. So the band takes a backseat to a backseat. Bring green, TSU will listen nahmean?

Back