Simmons to TxSU?

Oh I understand that! I just feel like some of of these bands need any help they can get. Blame poor administration if they can’t find or don’t want their own alumni. I wish Brian nothing but the best. I will be supporting him and TXSU. I’m also glad I wasn’t told I was “too young” for my current job as I am in my early 30s. Most of my peers in their 40s and 50s. It’s funny how they call me for stuff. I digress.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I know he did not leave because of money. That is all I will say

That bold part, but thanks for responding and good to hear he wasn't entangled in Haymer's scheme.

Some of you Jags are still too quiet, one of you handle that bold part.

wasn’t the last head BD from Alcorn? Seems like he kept the TxSU traditions. I understand the concern though. I wouldn’t want a new BD to change things at Bama State if he were to become the head man in charge.

The Ocean is one of my favorite bands I hope he doesn’t change anything he just needs to bring his energy to the program.

And are y’all sure Simmons will be the head BD? I think he’s too young for a head BD job in the SWAC.
Why do you think he is too young? He might have the type of energy to get them back where they were.

Oh I understand that! I just feel like some of of these bands need any help they can get. Blame poor administration if they can’t find or don’t want their own alumni. I wish Brian nothing but the best. I will be supporting him and TXSU. I’m also glad I wasn’t told I was “too young” for my current job as I am in my early 30s. Most of my peers in their 40s and 50s. It’s funny how they call me for stuff. I digress.
I can't stand that "too young." If you can do the job and surpass your co-workers, that's on them.

What else is there for the Jags to say? Brian is raw talent and a steal. I’m sad he is leaving, but I’m happy about the career track he is on. People doubted his hire in 2014. He is currently the best arranger in HBCUs. I’m sure he will go help “struggling TxSU” out. It may be too late this year from a recruiting prospective, but I’m sure TXSU will be in a much better place than we have seen from them. In my opinion, they haven’t been good since 06.

What else is there for the Jags to say? Brian is raw talent and a steal. I’m sad he is leaving, but I’m happy about the career track he is on. People doubted his hire in 2014. He is currently the best arranger in HBCUs. I’m sure he will go help “struggling TxSU” out. It may be too late this year from a recruiting prospective, but I’m sure TXSU will be in a much better place than we have seen from them. In my opinion, they haven’t been good since 06.
Honestly, as some of your fellow Jags would say, I think he will be "the next man up" for Southern. He will have more experience and I'm sure he would get Mr. Taylor's endorsement.

Other than you and the mention he wasn't part of Haymer's scheme, which is a good thing, very little has been said. If there is nothing to say then there is nothing to say. I just find it interesting that for a vocal group no one on this thread has said anything positive about him or even subtly wished him well other than you.

From what I know about Brian Simmons, he's a very talented young Brother who will definitely be an asset to the TSU Family. Many members on this board don't remember the TSU Ocean of Soul in the late 80's and early 90's, but those 3rd Ward Tigers brought the heat during that time! TSU was a Big Band with a great sound and I hope they can get back to the way they used to be. Great hire by TSU!

This is awesome news if true. Hopefully the band size, sound, and book improve ... especially considering we're one of the largest SWAC schools. It's about time we go from good to GREAT!

I have so much love & respect for SU band program and hopefully Simmons can evaluate us to that special level.

I know he did not leave because of money. That is all I will say
I’m probably reading into things too much but it seems like Simmons and Nate are still close & it seems like Taylor and Nate aren’t. I be wonder if it’s friction between Brian & Taylor

Why do you think he is too young? He might have the type of energy to get them back where they were.

when I say too young, I mean for a head director position..more power to him if he actually is the new head director. He definitely will get them back to where they use to be. His name alone will draw

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Other than you and the mention he wasn't part of Haymer's scheme, which is a good thing, very little has been said. If there is nothing to say then there is nothing to say. I just find it interesting that for a vocal group no one on this thread has said anything positive about him or even subtly wished him well other than you.

I’ve said something positive about him lol. Hell I wish he would join the staff at ASU.

I don’t know too much about the old Ocean, but I hear they were a beast. They had a nice little run from like 2005-2012ish. That’s the beastly Ocean I know.

ive always admired & respected the ocean. They go in and be true to themselves, no matter who the are going against. The same Ocean that was at that BOTB against FAMU a few years ago is the same Ocean that was at a BOTB against SU. Hopefully you guys can get your numbers back up (along with Bama State).

I’ve said something positive about him lol. Hell I wish he would join the staff at ASU.

I don’t know too much about the old Ocean, but I hear they were a beast. They had a nice little run from like 2005-2012ish. That’s the beastly Ocean I know.

ive always admired & respected the ocean. They go in and be true to themselves, no matter who the are going against. The same Ocean that was at that BOTB against FAMU a few years ago is the same Ocean that was at a BOTB against SU. Hopefully you guys can get your numbers back up (along with Bama State).

Old Ocean had an announcer who called out the other bands. They did 12 minute shows and had aggressive band directors. Anything from the 1980s on YouTube is the template

I’m probably reading into things too much but it seems like Simmons and Nate are still close & it seems like Taylor and Nate aren’t. I be wonder if it’s friction between Brian & Taylor

when I say too young, I mean for a head director position..more power to him if he actually is the new head director. He definitely will get them back to where they use to be. His name alone will draw
I don’t know their ages but I don’t think Nate or Mr. Taylor are too much older than Mr. Simmons. I would guess maybe 10 years older. If he is the head director, he will be in a good position to make other moves.

What if he was close or still is close to Nate? What does that matter? Don’t we all have people in our family that probably dealt drugs, stole, alcoholics? I have them in my family and we were close. I’m not any of those things. Brian is his own man. He should be close to Nate as Nate gave him an job offer fresh out of college at 22. Again , some of the comments here are interesting.

2005 - 2011 was the last GREAT era we had. Since then we been mediocre to better than aite.

Old Ocean had an announcer who called out the other bands. They did 12 minute shows and had aggressive band directors. Anything from the 1980s on YouTube is the template
Oh wow..I know in the past 20 or so years, it seems like only the halftime announcers for BCU & FAMU called out bands. I don’t know if they have done it lately, but they did when I was in high school in the early/mid 2000s.

We never did that at Bama State while I marched. It’ll be refreshing to hear that stuff again

2005 - 2011 was the last GREAT era we had. Since then we been mediocre to better than aite.

from the outside looking in, it seems like during that time students from New Orleans brought that fire and passion to TXSU.

did New Orleans have a strong presence in the band in the 80s and 90s?

No other city has ever been deeper in the Ocean than Houston. Yes...there have been numbers of people from New Orleans since the beginning because guess what...alot of people moved to Houston or came to TSU to...move to Houston.
original Ocean of Soul back in 1969-1973 was mostly Houston(all the wards), Dallas, Austin, Memphis and New Orleans had a few.
Lol don't get it twisted though just because you aren't familiar with Houston culture and Houston black people. That doesn't take away from New Orleans alumni of the Ocean but don't start that "New Orleans made the Ocean"....it didn't.

from the outside looking in, it seems like during that time students from New Orleans brought that fire and passion to TXSU.

did New Orleans have a strong presence in the band in the 80s and 90s?
2005 - 2011 were strong NOLA years. N Phi O (band frat for NOLA natives) were deep those years. I'm not sure if the 80s/90s were strong NOLA years but I do know the Houston area public schools had strong band programs then. Since the 2010s, the Houston public school band programs have been on a major decline .... especially at the black school hence is why I feel our band declined a bit. Also our band recruiting sucks ... we lucked up with NOLA transplants joining our band.

Back