Southland May blow up

I've said that the WAC would make a comeback a while back.

New Mexico State just got thrown a lifeline. Idaho might venture back up to FBS soon

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wonder how this will effect their football teams considering the WAC stopped sponsoring football in 2013.

I doubt most of them can afford it. HBCUs are not the only colleges and universities strapped for cash. A lot of these "no name" white schools actually have less surplus funds than a lot of the SWAC schools.

They picked the right ones out of the Southland though. Now those Louisiana Southland schools wont be able to afford it but I can see the 4 named making the jump to the WAC

It makes sense for the WAC to go after those four Texas Southland schools ...

If they move over ... they provide rivals for Tarleton for football and Texas-RGV in other sports.

Southern Utah adds a third Utah team with Dixie State and Utah Valley.

With the sheer geography of this ... the WAC more than likely is going to go to divisional play in other sports if they decide to bring back football.

It makes sense for the WAC to go after those four Texas Southland schools ...

If they move over ... they provide rivals for Tarleton for football and Texas-RGV in other sports.

Southern Utah adds a third Utah team with Dixie State and Utah Valley.

With the sheer geography of this ... the WAC more than likely is going to go to divisional play in other sports if they decide to bring back football.

Again sounds exciting lol

The issue is if they go does slc decide to step into the swac and expand East to make up for losing Texas schools? There was a backdoor push by some not too long ago before new commish took over.

With McClelland as commissioner We are the SEC of the fcs. Nobody is leaving the Swac but everyone will want to join. And don’t let us get a Swac network. Tennessee st will have their bags at the door begging

We might be able to accept Tnst St & 1 other school if they come humble, plead their case and it makes sense.....LOL

Student Enrollment SWAC East Consideration.......Just for Kicks (approximate, 1 would need to move to the west)
Mississippi Valley-2147
Bethune Cookman-2901
Alabama State 4190
Albany State-6122
Alabama A&M -6172
Jackson State 7020
Tennessee State 8081
Florida A&M 9626

Last edited:
We might be able to accept Tnst St & 1 other school if they come humble, plead their case and it makes sense.....LOL

I believe that Albany State is the most ready for the D-2 HBCUs to move up if offered. If Tennessee State and Albany move up ... you might see Jackson or Valley move over to the West.

West
Alcorn
Ark-PB
Grambling
Jackson/Valley
Prairie View
Southern
Texas Southern

East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Albany State
Bethune Cookman
Florida A&M
Jackson/Valley
Tennessee State

I believe that Albany State is the most ready for the D-2 HBCUs to move up if offered. If Tennessee State and Albany move up ... you might see Jackson or Valley move over to the West.

West
Alcorn
Ark-PB
Grambling
Jackson/Valley
Prairie View
Southern
Texas Southern

East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Albany State
Bethune Cookman
Florida A&M
Jackson/Valley
Tennessee State
Being ready to move and having the money to move up are 2 different things though. Lol. If that the case then we'd have to figure out how to make it work with 13.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore

West
Alcorn
Ark-PB
Grambling
Jackson/Valley
Prairie View
Southern
Texas Southern

East
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Albany State
Bethune Cookman
Florida A&M
Jackson/Valley
Tennessee State
@JROCK & @Journalist - This isn't a bad breakdown of a proposed SWAC East & West Division with the addition Tennessee State and Albany State. But as we've discussed before, Tennessee State would have to shell out $500,000 (2 year notice) or $750,000 (1 year notice) to the OVC along with the forfeiture of financial distribution from the OVC.

Albany State would have to pay that $1.6 Million Dollar entrance fee to transition from Division 2 to Division 1 of the FCS. Also they'd have increase scholarship money for all sports and add a few other sports to be Davison 1 compliant.

With McClelland as commissioner We are the SEC of the fcs. Nobody is leaving the Swac but everyone will want to join. And don’t let us get a Swac network. Tennessee st will have their bags at the door begging

Now we all know that Jackson State will do whatever it takes to block Tennessee State from joining the SWAC. They wouldn’t want those problems, especially if it could impact who wins the East!

Who cares what you bring up lol? They are still holding this "L" from last season and gonna hold it until fall 2021.
This is the little hornet that keeps trying. Just can't seem to get right.
tenor.gif

@JROCK & @Journalist - This isn't a bad breakdown of a proposed SWAC East & West Division with the addition Tennessee State and Albany State. But as we've discussed before, Tennessee State would have to shell out $500,000 (2 year notice) or $750,000 (1 year notice) to the OVC along with the forfeiture of financial distribution from the OVC.

Albany State would have to pay that $1.6 Million Dollar entrance fee to transition from Division 2 to Division 1 of the FCS. Also they'd have increase scholarship money for all sports and add a few other sports to be Davison 1 compliant.

Now that we have looked at the obstacles, let's examine possible pathways:

My guess on this is financial/strategic planning. In the case of TNST, $500K can be offset by 1 FBS game. However, they would need to decipher whether the move would be economically feasible to their bottom line. A comparative analysis of what revenue/expenses they're receiving from the OVC and projected amount based on historical data and prospective revenue plans in the SWAC to make a sound and informed decision.

In the case of Albany State, the pathway would be a greater transition. My first guess would be whether the 1.6M can be paid in increments or whether bonds or some type of financial instrument can be issued to extend the initial fee to lessen the initial impact. In the interim perhaps scheduling a few guaranteed money games to offset or mitigate the cost. In terms of increasing sports, again my guess is financial planning based on research and whether the school has the will to move up. My guess would be to conduct a study on how other public universities made the adjustment of increasing the number of scholarships and adding sports and make a decision on what would work for ASU.

(These are only quick thoughts and I'm sure much more financially savvy folks at those institutions can figure it out if the will is there.)

Financially - biggest issue like all is travel for Tennessee State but in divisional play it evens out. Socially, having a chance to win is something they now have across the board as they’re a non-factor in pretty much all of their sports and that lingers down the line.

But they can eliminate a lot if they do well in football. JSU is always a money game so in odd years (if the sked works) you have famu, southern/GSU, aamu or asu, etc.

But it’s like they are scared to say something publicly it

Now that we have looked at the obstacles, let's examine possible pathways:

My guess on this is financial/strategic planning. In the case of TNST, $500K can be offset by 1 FBS game. However, they would need to decipher whether the move would be economically feasible to their bottom line. A comparative analysis of what revenue/expenses they're receiving from the OVC and projected amount based on historical data and prospective revenue plans in the SWAC to make a sound and informed decision.

In the case of Albany State, the pathway would be a greater transition. My first guess would be whether the 1.6M can be paid in increments or whether bonds or some type of financial instrument can be issued to extend the initial fee to lessen the initial impact. In the interim perhaps scheduling a few guaranteed money games to offset or mitigate the cost. In terms of increasing sports, again my guess is financial planning based on research and whether the school has the will to move up. My guess would be to conduct a study on how other public universities made the adjustment of increasing the number of scholarships and adding sports and make a decision on what would work for ASU.

(These are only quick thoughts and I'm sure much more financially savvy folks at those institutions can figure it out if the will is there.)

The main reason I said Albany is that they already have the sports and facilities in place/need minor facilities upgrades. Increasing their budget and getting the entry fees would be the primary focus.

Also, a move to a 14-team SWAC would make the divisions look like the West being the "old-school SWAC" and the East being filled with old SIAC rivals.

Last edited:
Back