Southland May blow up

Now that we have looked at the obstacles, let's examine possible pathways:

My guess on this is financial/strategic planning. In the case of TNST, $500K can be offset by 1 FBS game. However, they would need to decipher whether the move would be economically feasible to their bottom line. A comparative analysis of what revenue/expenses they're receiving from the OVC and projected amount based on historical data and prospective revenue plans in the SWAC to make a sound and informed decision.

In the case of Albany State, the pathway would be a greater transition. My first guess would be whether the 1.6M can be paid in increments or whether bonds or some type of financial instrument can be issued to extend the initial fee to lessen the initial impact. In the interim perhaps scheduling a few guaranteed money games to offset or mitigate the cost. In terms of increasing sports, again my guess is financial planning based on research and whether the school has the will to move up. My guess would be to conduct a study on how other public universities made the adjustment of increasing the number of scholarships and adding sports and make a decision on what would work for ASU.

(These are only quick thoughts and I'm sure much more financially savvy folks at those institutions can figure it out if the will is there.)
Adding on to what you said @JROCK: The $500,000 can easily be made for Tennessee State. The Tigers are scheduled to travel to Mississippi State during the 2021 season.

The revenue/expenses they're receiving from the OVC is always a tricky figure. For example, during the 2018-19 basketball season Belmont and Murray State made the NCAA Tourney and another team went to the NIT. So you know that the OVC a lot of funds from the NCAA for that. Tennessee State could always ask Oprah for a donation to help out (Wishful thinking)...

A feasibility study is probably in the works for a school like Albany State. I think the $1.6 Million dollars can be payed with installments. Currently, the UNA (North Alabama) Lions are making the transition from D2 to Division 1 FCS in football. The football team can't compete for the conference crown or postseason until 2022. Other varsity teams are good to go. So that leaves me to believe that payments can be paid with installments.

Extending the SWAC's footprint into the state's of Tennessee and Georgia would be a game changer for the conference.

they would have to get in line with some of the Alabama HBCUs and Georgia HBCUs that are on wait and see alert...

What D1 Alabama & Georgia HBCU's are there ready to switch conferences?
Don't tell me about some wishes about D2 schools, they are not ready financially to make that journey.

Reactions: EB
What D1 Alabama & Georgia HBCU's are there ready to switch conferences?
Don't tell me about some wishes about D2 schools, they are not ready financially to make that journey.

maybe not , but are we trying to keep the conference HBCU or are we mixing with pwi and HBCU ? And Albany state is the most ready to move up if they chose.

maybe not , but are we trying to keep the conference HBCU or are we mixing with pwi and HBCU ? And Albany state is the most ready to move up if they chose.
So they have the filling fee? I doubt it.. If they had the resources they would of made the jump already...

Again, what's wrong with it us just adding Tennessee State and making it work with 13 if we don't want b to add any PWIs and there are no other viable D-1 HBCU options?

Again, what's wrong with it us just adding Tennessee State and making it work with 13 if we don't want b to add any PWIs and there are no other viable D-1 HBCU options?

unbalanced divisions, for starters. An odd number of teams in divisional formats causes unequal scheduling

unbalanced divisions, for starters. An odd number of teams in divisional formats causes unequal scheduling
The Big Ten made it work for years before they added Nebraska. And the ACC is doing it now. We could always get rid of the divisions and have the conference championship be between the top 2 teams. The way I see it is there aren't any viable HBCU candidates that want to move up from D-2. And I doubt any PWIs would want to join or if any of our presidents would be willing to let them in. So that leaves us with 2 options. Either bring in Tennessee State and raid the MEAC again for either South Carolina State or North Carolina Central. Or just bring in Tennessee State and make it work with 13.

The Big Ten made it work for years before they added Nebraska. And the ACC is doing it now. We could always get rid of the divisions and have the conference championship be between the top 2 teams. The way I see it is there aren't any viable HBCU candidates that want to move up from D-2. And I doubt any PWIs would want to join or if any of our presidents would be willing to let them in. So that leaves us with 2 options. Either bring in Tennessee State and raid the MEAC again for either South Carolina State or North Carolina Central. Or just bring in Tennessee State and make it work with 13.

The Big Ten wasn’t in divisions until 2014. And there were problems with the unbalanced conference scheduling from adding Penn State Until they added Nebraska and moved to divisional play.

The ACC has 14 true members. Notre Dame (still somehow a football independent while being an ACC member in other sports) has an agreement to play ACC schools, and the pandemic is the only reason they’ve been allowed to play a full conference schedule and play for the ACC title.

The Big Ten wasn’t in divisions until 2014. And there were problems with the unbalanced conference scheduling from adding Penn State Until they added Nebraska and moved to divisional play.

The ACC has 14 true members. Notre Dame (still somehow a football independent while being an ACC member in other sports) has an agreement to play ACC schools, and the pandemic is the only reason they’ve been allowed to play a full conference schedule and play for the ACC title.
True. But many conferences are considering moving away from divisions in football and just go with the top 2 teams for the conference championship based on win percentage. Possibly the pandemic has spured this thinking considering most are using this format for the season. At that point it wouldn't matter if you have an odd number of teams or an even.

Back