NCAT FBS Bound?

I only sought to disprove the allegation that JSU has consistently led HBCU attendance,hands down, as Jay Rob contends.
JaySBlue, you caught this Earle dude in another lie of omission. There's a reason he stopped at 2011.
It's because JSU won at least SWAC attendance in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016 and the most recent in 2018.
When you total up the average attendance over a 15 year period, JSU has the best average among ALL HBCU's even though Baton Rouge has almost twice the population of lil ol Jackson, MS.
JayRob ain't gotta lie to kick it.

NC A&T has forgotten when they were the doormat of the MEAC....had Broadway not returned they would still be a doormat. The interesting thing is how long can they keep the momentum and recruiting. Once some of the assistants start getting head coaching gigs elsewhere we will see the true nature of their program.
You want us to fail sooo bad it’s SAD😂

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yall stop BSing....HBCUs don't have the finances. Simple as that.

Exactly! I doubt if NCAT could get four FBS schools to play them at home if they moved up to the FBS level as an independent. NCAT's only option in a move up would be to join the Sun Belt conference. Also, black folks don't purchase season tickets. The Jeffersons moved on up, I doubt if NCAT can. 1566391353082.png

Don't forget moving up to to FBS in football also requires the school to sponsor more D1 sports. That means more money has to be raised for more non-revenue generating sports.

If JSU and SU have the attendance then why hasn’t either tried to move up?

This is not throwing shade at either but a question.

The answer is simple....FINANCES

I look at FBS programs like ULM. They have not accomplished a damn thing since moving up. The reason they was because they wanted to compete with Tech not necessarily against them in games but in the media etc....

Now the only way moving up to the FBS would work is if it were done collectively by a few schools.

I would love to see GSU move-up but we are not prepared for it at all. Not by a long shot...

In my opinion Hampton made the worst decision ever. If anything if I were Hampton I would have become a FCS Independent.

I only sought to disprove the allegation that JSU has consistently led HBCU attendance,hands down, as Jay Rob contends.

this STILL makes no sense when fans have been attending games since football was started. How bout you go as far back as the NCAA allows? Wouldn’t that make more sense instead of trying to fit your own narrative? Sheesh. Some of y’all try too hard man lol

If JSU and SU have the attendance then why hasn’t either tried to move up?

This is not throwing shade at either but a question.

The answer is simple....FINANCES

I look at FBS programs like ULM. They have not accomplished a damn thing since moving up. The reason they was because they wanted to compete with Tech not necessarily against them in games but in the media etc....

Now the only way moving up to the FBS would work is if it were done collectively by a few schools.

I would love to see GSU move-up but we are not prepared for it at all. Not by a long shot...

In my opinion Hampton made the worst decision ever. If anything if I were Hampton I would have become a FCS Independent.

Man ain’t none of us moving up no time soon. Too much money needs to be raised and other things would have to be Accomplished before any of our schools move anywhere and that could take YEARS the way all of our schools are set up.

Man ain’t none of us moving up no time soon. Too much money needs to be raised and other things would have to be Accomplished before any of our schools move anywhere and that could take YEARS the way all of our schools are set up.

THANK YOU!!!!!

We got folks on this thread talking big stuff. LOL

Only time will tell with this one. If it happens, I will definitely support with my $$$! But it's a long road until that point.

I am also more excited about reaching that R1 research status and hitting over $100 million in our endowment. Any FBS move would be icing on the cake at that point.

Only time will tell with this one. If it happens, I will definitely support with my $$$! But it's a long road until that point.

I am also more excited about reaching that R1 research status and hitting over $100 million in our endowment. Any FBS move would be icing on the cake at that point.

There's no problem in looking to strike the iron while it's hot.

Your 10 biggest D1 HBCU money-makers/money-spenders as of 2017-18 academic year (according to https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/)

*—NOTE: Hampton isn't available because it's a private school and doesn't have to disclose information.

Total Revenue Generated
1. Prairie View, SWAC: $18,564,920
2. Delaware State, MEAC: $14,615,460
3. North Carolina A&T, MEAC: $14,420,476
4. North Carolina Central, MEAC: $13,861,765
5. Norfolk State, MEAC: $13,777,940
6. Alabama State, SWAC: $13,551,412
7. Southern, SWAC: $13,449,133
8. Tennessee State, Ohio Valley: $12,292,230
9. Morgan State, MEAC: $11,658,115
10. Texas Southern, SWAC: $11,620,247

Total Expenses
1. Prairie View: $18,618,700
2. Southern: 14,677,060
3. Delaware State: 14,615,460
4. North Carolina A&T: 13,847,414
5. Alabama State: 13,828,387
6. Norfolk State: 13,777,940
7. Morgan State: 13,405,720
8. North Carolina Central: 13,323,995
9. Tennessee State: 12,292,230
10. Texas Southern: 11,620,247

Smallest C-USA budgets (LaTech and Southern Miss) are $5-7 million than Prairie Views, although PV's budget is slightly larger than UL-Monroe's (Sun Belt's smallest budget for a football-playing member).

JaySBlue, you caught this Earle dude in another lie of omission. There's a reason he stopped at 2011.
It's because JSU won at least SWAC attendance in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2016 and the most recent in 2018.
When you total up the average attendance over a 15 year period, JSU has the best average among ALL HBCU's even though Baton Rouge has almost twice the population of lil ol Jackson, MS.
JayRob ain't gotta lie to kick it.

Hmmm ... you've made a good point there, but ... I gotta nitpick and poke a hole through the "lil' ole Jackson, MS" angle ...

According to the Census Bureau's most current data, Baton Rouge's population is 225,374 while Jackson's is 166,965. A difference if around 58,500 people ... put those numbers in a calculator and Jackson's population is 74 percent of BR's .... not exactly the "almost half' you're pushing.

Metro Jackson population is 576,382 while Metro BR population is 830,480 ... if you want to say metro areas, then you'll have a better argument for your "almost half" ... (although Metro Jackson's population is 70 percent of Metro BRs)

Funny thing is Jackson's TV market (92) is slightly larger than Baton Rouge's (97) .. go figure!

Moving up to FBS means more money from the state. It also means a bump in enrollment because even as low profile as the bottom of the sunbelt is it's still higher profile than the fcs.

Moving up to FBS means more money from the state. It also means a bump in enrollment because even as low profile as the bottom of the sunbelt is it's still higher profile than the fcs.

NCAT would be in the Sun Belt's east division with Coastal Carolina, App State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and Troy. That's not bad geographically for NCAT. However, if the Sun Belt's serious, they've gotta bring in a school to the west in order to balance the divisions.

If I'm the Sun Belt, I would listen to the possibility of bringing Southern or Jackson State to balance the West. Don't know how UL-Monroe and/or UL-Lafayette would feel about adding Southern, plus would the Sun Belt let Southern play the Classic against Grambling at the usual Saturday after Thanksgiving spot?

Jackson would probably be a better pick-up for the Sun Belt because they won't have in-state members blocking the move and they could have regional matchups with Arkansas State and South Alabama.

However, any school talking about moving up needs a solid 10-year plan of fundraising, infrastructure and personnel upgrades before doing so.

But NCAT is in a unique case — located in a top 50 TV market with Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte in close proximity. That could be some extra bread out there for them if they're going to make this move.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ain't no folks from JSU going in droves on the road to them redneck schools just like they ain't coming to JSU for their road game.
Our attendance would plummet over night.
Look at Tenn. State as a case example.

Hmmm ... you've made a good point there, but ... I gotta nitpick and poke a hole through the "lil' ole Jackson, MS" angle ...

According to the Census Bureau's most current data, Baton Rouge's population is 225,374 while Jackson's is 166,965. A difference if around 58,500 people ... put those numbers in a calculator and Jackson's population is 74 percent of BR's .... not exactly the "almost half' you're pushing.

Metro Jackson population is 576,382 while Metro BR population is 830,480 ... if you want to say metro areas, then you'll have a better argument for your "almost half" ... (although Metro Jackson's population is 70 percent of Metro BRs)

Funny thing is Jackson's TV market (92) is slightly larger than Baton Rouge's (97) .. go figure!
You also forgot to add the fact that quite a few of your fans are from the New Orleans area as well.

You also forgot to add the fact that quite a few of your fans are from the New Orleans area as well.

The post-Katrina NOLA diaspora made some of those folks resettle to Houston, Dallas, Atlanta and other places. The city has come back somewhat, as recruiting has shown in the last six- to seven-year span.

Don’t forget about our Southwest Louisiana fans too. But y’all got fans throughout Mississippi. Don’t sandbag on y’all support.

By reading this thread, you would think that the chancellor said we were going FBS next year..A bunch of haters wishing that we fail so they can say “I told you so”..There was no timeline discussed, so how can you ppl automatically say something can’t be done? The hate for NCAT is unmatched!

By reading this thread, you would think that the chancellor said we were going FBS next year..A bunch of haters wishing that we fail so they can say “I told you so”..There was no timeline discussed, so how can you ppl automatically say something can’t be done? The hate for NCAT is unmatched!
Dude, why are you trying to create so-called "hate" where there is none? Why would folks hate to see NCAT succeed?
These same folks were pulling for your school when your football team was highly ranked in the FCS polls.
Folks are looking at the history of other schools who've tried to move up and it didn't pan out. Those schools weren't hated and they didn't claim to be hated. The decision they made to go FBS just didn't work out like they planned, but by no means were they hated.
And who is this "you people" you're referring too.

NCAT would be in the Sun Belt's east division with Coastal Carolina, App State, Georgia State, Georgia Southern and Troy. That's not bad geographically for NCAT. However, if the Sun Belt's serious, they've gotta bring in a school to the west in order to balance the divisions.

If I'm the Sun Belt, I would listen to the possibility of bringing Southern or Jackson State to balance the West. Don't know how UL-Monroe and/or UL-Lafayette would feel about adding Southern, plus would the Sun Belt let Southern play the Classic against Grambling at the usual Saturday after Thanksgiving spot?

Jackson would probably be a better pick-up for the Sun Belt because they won't have in-state members blocking the move and they could have regional matchups with Arkansas State and South Alabama.

However, any school talking about moving up needs a solid 10-year plan of fundraising, infrastructure and personnel upgrades before doing so.

But NCAT is in a unique case — located in a top 50 TV market with Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte in close proximity. That could be some extra bread out there for them if they're going to make this move.
After taking my son on a visit to A&T the thing that shocked me was their facilities for sports. They'd easily be in the bottom half of swac football stadiums & basketball arenas. I can't imagine how good they'd be if they had bama st, pv, su, jsu football facilities

I believe if they DID move up, the A&T faithful would show up whether they played a dear ole hbcu or not.

Back