Southern University - Human Jukebox 📻
Florida A&M University - Marching 100 🐍💯
Talladega College - Great Tornado 🌪
Prairie View A&M - Marching Storm ⛈☔
Tennessee State - Aristocrat of Bands 🐯🔵
Miles College - Purple Marching Machine 🐻
North Carolina Central - Marching Sound Machine 🔊

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I wouldn't, FAMU is way better than NCCU lol. You have to be thinking about NC A&T lol

I used to be the biggest FAMU fan in high school because that’s who we were modeled after..

But then I went to a SWAC school & went up against the 100 in 2008. One of the most underwhelming & disappointing moments in my life. They were so sloppy on the field & boring in the stands.

Them & Cookman sound good but they might be the most boring HBCU bands in the country.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
While I think the 'BOTB' itself is a great thing, I think the scheduling/timing of this one is awful....

Who really wants to have a so-called 'battle' at the very beginning of the season?? In fact, this may be the first time all of these bands hit the field? Don't expect perfection when every band will be marching freshmen and newbies. Don't expect elaborate drills right out of the gate.... Yanno?? And don't expect monster books... Nobody will have them then.

That's the only point I'm making..

Had this been the second weekend in December?? When all the bands are 'battle-tested' and seasoned, THEN you would've had a true battle.....

This is going to be an exhibition, not a battle... Kinda like the 1st or 2nd NFL pre-season game - no REAL competition....

While I think the 'BOTB' itself is a great thing, I think the scheduling/timing of this one is awful....

Who really wants to have a so-called 'battle' at the very beginning of the season?? In fact, this may be the first time all of these bands hit the field? Don't expect perfection when every band will be marching freshmen and newbies. Don't expect elaborate drills right out of the gate.... Yanno?? And don't expect monster books... Nobody will have them then.

Had this been the second weekend in December?? When all the bands are 'battle-tested' and seasoned, THEN you would've had a true battle.....

This is going to be an exhibition, not a battle... Kinda like the 1st or 2nd NFL pre-season game - no REAL competition....

Bama State is always ready no matter what time of year it is 🤷🏽‍♂️

Most of the top-tier bands that participated in the Queen City BOTB seemed to be on point. The problem with December is that some bands may not be able to participate depending on when students leave for the break, then you have lack of practice time with finals going on around that time. Also you might not have access to Southern, NCAT, Alcorn, or other schools favored to play in the SCG and the Celebration Bowl.

Most of the top-tier bands that participated in the Queen City BOTB seemed to be on point. The problem with December is that some bands may not be able to participate depending on when students leave for the break, then you have lack of practice time with finals going on around that time. Also you might not have access to Southern, NCAT, Alcorn, or other schools favored to play in the SCG and the Celebration Bowl.
Good point, Numma-One

I find it strange Cracker Barrel is attached to it but college battle of the bands is big business!

I'm excited and I hope this goes very well. The only bands I don't like on the list are FAMU and NCCU. Both are kinda boring (typical of MEAC bands) but with great musicianship (terrible song selection tho which is typical of MEAC bands too) .... hopefully they get their act together in 2019 and shock us all.

Last edited:
I find it strange Cracker Barrel is attached to it but college battle of the bands is big business!

I'm excited and I hope this goes very well. The only bands I don't like on the list are FAMU and NCCU. Both are kinda boring (typical of MEAC bands) but with great musicianship (terrible song selection tho which is typical of MEAC bands too) .... hopefully they get their act together in 2019 and shock us all.

100% truth in this post. FAMU & Cookman sound good but I’d rather watch paint dry.

Norfolk & Howard are the only MEAC bands I can listen to

Back