Southern's "Home Game" in Jackson/They talking every year now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Yep.........a lot more money for SU than they would make in Baton rougue.

But like you and SU fans are saying, it's more than a paycheck to SU's athletic department involved in this decision.
There are a lot of businesses in Baton Rougue that was counting on this game.
Now business in Jackson is going to reap the benifit's of a game they was not even planning for just 4 month's ago.

This is a cash windfall for the Jackson Metro that go way beyond how much JSU is getting from ticket sales, etc.
Everybody that got 4 wall's and a product to sell is going to make unexpected money in Jackson this weekend.
On top of that, JSU fans won't have the expense of traveling and hotel cost either.

It's sad when most Black politicians, which is what Southern's Board is mainly comprised of, don't understand global economics enough to make sound decisions. Most of them have tunnel vision, which is how much money can they make for themselves. They are pure sell outs.

I would have moved this game to Shreveport before I moved it to Jackson, seriously. Tailgating is there, the game would make BOTH schools travel, and considering Grambling would be in Dallas for this weekend, we could have freaking racked up on recruiting and everything else. Not to mention Independence Stadium has over 50,000 seats so you can bury that excuse. Just one way thinking muthafuggas all around.

I'm not even pissed with the J-State fans who have rolled us all summer for this .... they should have.

:shame: I can't get over my own fools who are going to make this stupidity a damn success because they want to have a good time. All I can say is if you would have brought your ass to Mumford last year and this year, maybe we wouldn't be in this spot.

Since many of you state you are only going to "support the kids", why didn't you support the kids IN MUMFORD? They had nothing to do with the fieldhouse not being there. They had nothing to do with the schedule. They definitely had nothing to do with the dumbasses outside who made it harder to enjoy an SU gameday.

I would have moved this game to Shreveport before I moved it to Jackson, seriously. Tailgating is there, the game would make BOTH schools travel, and considering Grambling would be in Dallas for this weekend, we could have freaking racked up on recruiting and everything else. Not to mention Independence Stadium has over 50,000 seats so you can bury that excuse. Just one way thinking muthafuggas all around.

I'm not even pissed with the J-State fans who have rolled us all summer for this .... they should have.

:shame: I can't get over my own fools who are going to make this stupidity a damn success because they want to have a good time. All I can say is if you would have brought your ass to Mumford last year and this year, maybe we wouldn't be in this spot.

Since many of you state you are only going to "support the kids", why didn't you support the kids IN MUMFORD? They had nothing to do with the fieldhouse not being there. They had nothing to do with the schedule. They definitely had nothing to do with the dumbasses outside who made it harder to enjoy an SU gameday.
Dont buy that exuse they use about folks not coming to the games. SU still averaged over 16,000 last season and with the ticket prices we have and tailgating fees, we made more many than any HBCU. SU only had a $900,000 deficit. Only 5-6 schools in the country make money off athletics. They had a report in the advocate, that said behind LSU, SU made the most money in this state in athletics, thus they got less SUpport from the state. I been saying Lefleur was a dummy. No one listen. I told yall we should have never gotten rid of the best AD we ever had in Floyd Kerr.

79...if the game remains in Jackson after 2010, will you continue to boycott?

Very good post.

Honestly, as far as coming to the game or not. ... I'm not sure what i'd do in this situation. You want to support your team (by being there basically) and really support your school (financially) but... It really seems the SU fans are being taken advantage of in this situation. "Forget what they want... they will do what I say. It's for the overall good..." In essence LaFleur is basically saying "Let's burn down these trees so we can save the forest"... :retard:

Tough decision to make... but I think ya Jag fans aughta do the right thang and come on to Daddy's place Saturday. :) You can't boycott the game EVVVERY year... You'll get used to it. :)

Now, I could have gone along with that 79. I know we are supposed to be mad at Shreveport about the last game we played there. So I don't know what the relationship is. But yeah that would have been okay with me IF and I do mean IF we need to play the game in a bigger stadium. Don't move your home game out of state. The only reason I am going to this game is to cheer for the team, plus I aint got to spend no hotel money or extra isht in Jackson. Those kids didn't have nothing to do with this decision and even Pete didn't like it either....but he don't have no power around there no more.

I am pissed at how TC and them have blatant disreguard for the surrounding community businesses that see good revenue when we have a home game of this magnitude. You destroy the good will in the community when you do isht like this. Not to mention, I don't give a fugg how well our fan base travel. It aint nothing like having a home game on our own campus. The team has a more normal routine for a home game. I pray this cats get what is coming to them soon. Because they about to make me fly down to BR to go off in the next board meeting. Yall gone be reading about ole JR in theAdvocate if this foolish isht keeps up. :upset:

Hell I wouldn't count on anything outside of 2010. SU politics have shown in the past.....that all these mofos will probably be gone before 2010 is even over. :shame: That's why they in a hurry to get something signed right now. But if I was JSU I wouldn't agree to isht with this group of folks. Seriously.

Dont buy that exuse they use about folks not coming to the games. SU still averaged over 16,000 last season and with the ticket prices we have and tailgating fees, we made more many than any HBCU. SU only had a $900,000 deficit. Only 5-6 schools in the country make money off athletics. They had a report in the advocate, that said behind LSU, SU made the most money in this state in athletics, thus they got less SUpport from the state. I been saying Lefleur was a dummy. No one listen. I told yall we should have never gotten rid of the best AD we ever had in Floyd Kerr.

I don't care about making more than any HBCU. Any HBCU is not doing what our leadership is about to do. Kerr ain't innocent in this either. And averaging 16,000 in a 25,000 seat stadium (now a 29,000 seat stadium) ain't worth a damn when you figure we have to do this a year later.

We made money .... where did it go if you have to do something like this?

Absol-fugging-lutely!

My father had small businesses in Scotlandville for over 20 years. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2003, but I'll be damn if I support another city when my university is giving money that could have come to small businesses like ours.

Having fun and supporting your school is one thing. I will still support the Jags at Mumford and a few on the road and in years where we would have normally been in Jackson, I might make the trip. NEVER will I allow SU to exploit my love for my alma mater in this manner.

I don't care about making more than any HBCU. Any HBCU is not doing what our leadership is about to do. Kerr ain't innocent in this either. And averaging 16,000 in a 25,000 seat stadium (now a 29,000 seat stadium) ain't worth a damn when you figure we have to do this a year later.

We made money .... where did it go if you have to do something like this?
16,000 is sad for SU I agree, but guess who was responsible for the drop, Lefluer and Clayton. When Kerr was here we set records with season book ticket sales. When Kerr was here everyone knew exactly what was going on in the athletic department, because he always made himself available thru certain forums to get the word out. When Kerr was @ SU, he met with each booster group once a month. When Kerr was here we had the Jagathon where he raised millions, not $30,000 :shame: like Lefluer. When Kerr was here we won the commissioners cup every year except 1, look @ us now :shame: . When Kerr was here he got us a 3 million dollar scoreboard without spending a penny. When Kerr was here we installed a 1 million dollar field, and a 5 million dollar pressbox. When Kerr was here he got us a regional TV deal with Cox :tup: . I could go on and on, but im sure you get the picture.
Kerr only made $65,000. Lefluer makes $125,000 I think, plus he has two assistants that make $95,000.

Last edited:
Absol-fugging-lutely!

My father had small businesses in Scotlandville for over 20 years. Unfortunately, he passed away in 2003, but I'll be damn if I support another city when my university is giving money that could have come to small businesses like ours.

Having fun and supporting your school is one thing. I will still support the Jags at Mumford and a few on the road and in years where we would have normally been in Jackson, I might make the trip. NEVER will I allow SU to exploit my love for my alma mater in this manner.

I can appreciate your outlook and your opinion...but this attitude does not help your school.

Just do like me when JSU plays in Bham. GR drives from Jackson to Meridian, GR stops in Meridian, GR gets gas, food, piss, he puts some gas in a can. GR continues to drive to Bham. After the game is over, GR turns right around and heads back to Jackson. My car is hard on gas, so when GR gets to Eutaw Al, he does not stop for gas. He pulls over, gets out that gas can and fills up again. The state of Alabama does not get one red cent of mine....NO NOT ONE.

GR hates everything about Bham and believes the game should be moved to Jackson. I dont even pay to park. I park about 5 blocks from the stadium.
GR would rather drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log than give Alabama ONE RED CENT. so GR kinda knows where you are coming from....sorta.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
:shame: Its sad how ONE school gets screwed over by THREE states (ie: LA, MS, AL)

This should be recorded in the History Books or something

16,000 is sad for SU I agree, but guess who was responsible for the drop, Lefluer and Clayton. When Kerr was here we set records with season book ticket sales. When Kerr was here everyone knew exactly what was going on in the athletic department, because he always made himself available thru certain forums to get the word out. When Kerr was @ SU, he met with each booster group once a month. When Kerr was here we had the Jagathon where he raised millions, not $30,000 :shame: like Lefluer. When Kerr was here we won the commissioners cup every year except 1, look @ us now :shame: . When Kerr was here he got us a 3 million dollar scoreboard without spending a penny. When Kerr was here he got us a regional TV deal with Cox. I could go on and on, but im sure you get the picture.
Kerr only made $65,000. Lefluer makes $125,000 I think, plus he has two assistants that make $95,000.

Kerr did great things, but don't make this out to be he is the sole reason we were excelling and Lafleur is the sole reason why we are where we are now.

YOU know as well as I do .... neither of them had any major power to complete anything. You tell me all of thengs Kerr did and the money he made ... man, where did it go?

Kerr didn't get the fieldhouse finished (neither did Lafleur for that matter), but many of our fans said that was one of the reasons why they didn't renew. Our season tickets were high as hell in 2003 ... under Kerr, but from that point until now, they dropped to the 5500 + we have now. And yes, Lafleur has done little to increase it, I know.

Kerr was also responsible for the inital ticket increase. That didn't just happen last year.

Kerr got us the scoreboard, but we can't even make changes to it to gain more revenue as far as sponsors. The Jagathon was, IMO, his best accomplishment as it got our kids faces' on TV.

But, I fail to see how multiple years of "greatness" from Kerr could get pulled down by two years of Lafleur, since neither of them had that much power. So, either Kerr's greatness wasn't that great, or it's something bigger than both of them. IMO, it's a combination of the two.

Nice post man. :tup:

I can appreciate your outlook and your opinion...but this attitude does not help your school.

Just do like me when JSU plays in Bham. GR drives from Jackson to Meridian, GR stops in Meridian, GR gets gas, food, piss, he puts some gas in a can. GR continues to drive to Bham. After the game is over, GR turns right around and heads back to Jackson. My car is hard on gas, so when GR gets to Eutaw Al, he does not stop for gas. He pulls over, gets out that gas can and fills up again. The state of Alabama does not get one red cent of mine....NO NOT ONE.

GR hates everything about Bham and believes the game should be moved to Jackson. I dont even pay to park. I park about 5 blocks from the stadium.
GR would rather drink muddy water and sleep in a hollow log than give Alabama ONE RED CENT. so GR kinda knows where you are coming from....sorta.

I agree with you on this. I do this for any Southern game .... after all three SCG's, I have driven back home. I don't spend money in away cities as far as hotels and crap. I've been to 13 Bayou Classics in my 30 years .... I only stayed in New Orleans for one, when I was on SU's yearbook staff. Otherwise, I hop in the Tundra (or Saturn at the time) and roll back those 84 miles to Baton Rouge.

I help my school at home ... in Mumford Stadium. I help my school with donations. I will not help my school take money out of Baton Rouge, especially north Baton Rouge, which I am a product of, PERIOD!

JSU fans wouldn't travel to Shreveport and SU would actually sit on the home side there. There is also a chance that it is State Fair time in Shreveport and that would drive up the SU Ticket prices even higher for SU to still bring home the bank the great minds are planning and contracting to pocket. All of that would go against the Masterminds' plans.

In addition, remember, can't get a strong hold on recruiting in MS if the game is in LA.

Peace...

JSU fans wouldn't travel to Shreveport and SU would actually sit on the home side there. There is also a chance that it is State Fair time in Shreveport and that would drive up the SU Ticket prices even higher for SU to still bring home the bank the great minds are planning and contracting to pocket. All of that would go against the Masterminds' plans.

In addition, remember, can't get a strong hold on recruiting in MS if the game is in LA.

Peace...

LB, I know you are being sarcastic. LOL.

But for a moment I was like.......Shreveport makes too much sense and that's why our powers that be would be against it. I mean we should just have all our games in Jackson with their logic.

LB, I know you are being sarcastic. LOL.

But for a moment I was like.......Shreveport makes too much sense and that's why our powers that be would be against it. I mean we should just have all our games in Jackson with their logic.

Outside of the Superdome, that was a no-brainer to keep shat in state.
I asked about Shreveport when this game was announced.
Almost got my head bit off cause I really don't think ya'll expected this game to be moved at the time.

All you Louisana SWAC members are mad as hell at Shreveport.
What is the problem?

Peace...

JSU travels to Grambling, but won't go to Shreveport? Getting the game there at State Fair time wouldn't be horrible, except for space. Hell, going to Jackson two years in a row isn't going to get us some extra players out of there. Going to Shreveport may have let us snag kids that otherwise would have looked at Grambling or ULM though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back