Your Greatest HBCU Athlete

I remember several games in which Jackie just laughed in the face of the people guarding them....seconds before she either took them to the hole or drilled a trey in their grill...

The coldest part about Jackie was she just made it look easy as hell.
:lmao: :lmao:

I think SU will soon get another player like her. They have one now but she has to get consistent. I agree with you though.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
In YOUR OPINION, whose your alma mater greatest athlete while he or she was in college ? Just because an athlete had a professional career doesn't automatically mean they were the greatest,

I'm talking about why they were in college.

Try to leave out athletes who are or will eventually be in a professional hall of fame (for example, leave out a Walter Payton or Michael Strahan of that magnitude).

Also, whose the greatest athete of a HBCU other than your alma mater with the same parameters above.

Please don't turn this thread into smack or a debate. I just want to know YOUR individual opinion. That's why you should include 1 name for your university and 1 for another other than yours.

Football= Steve "Air McNair"
Basketball= Eddie Archie
Women's B-Ball= Ella Williams
Track = Mildred Netter Olympic Gold Medalist

Or how she would dribble the ball in the backcourt until 15 seconds were left on the shot clock, and proceed to make some kind of move and make the shot every time.

Or when she would just rip some poor shmuck and coast for a layup like it wasn't nothing.

I remember in Birmingham when the women won the first time..Alabama State had big Kitt'nem. Alabama State made a run in the second half, Jackie looked into that crowd and commenced to assinate their hopes. Everytime she pulled up and knocked down a bucket, she put a finger over her mouth to tell the fans to shut the *** up. That was one of the coldest hoops performances -- male or female -- that I ever saw in my time watching SWAC games while I was in school.

Second to that was when Mama Jag kept messing with Randy Hymes one time..kept saying "quarterback, you can't play no ball." Hymes shut that down when he came from the wing and dunked on someone from Southern. He smiled at her when he came down the court.

Or when she would just rip some poor shmuck and coast for a layup like it wasn't nothing.

I remember in Birmingham when the women won the first time..Alabama State had big Kitt'nem. Alabama State made a run in the second half, Jackie looked into that crowd and commenced to assinate their hopes. Everytime she pulled up and knocked down a bucket, she put a finger over her mouth to tell the fans to shut the *** up. That was one of the coldest hoops performances -- male or female -- that I ever saw in my time watching SWAC games while I was in school.

Second to that was when Mama Jag kept messing with Randy Hymes one time..kept saying "quarterback, you can't play no ball." Hymes shut that down when he came from the wing and dunked on someone from Southern. He smiled at her when he came down the court.
I remember that dunk by Hymes. It was the first round of the Swac tournament, when they played the first rounds on campus sites. I remember because that night SU beat Lsu for the first time in baseball. I was damn mad at myself for missing the baseball game. I remember rushing home, from the basketball game to watch the last couple of innings when all of a SUdden the tv went blank. Them fU*kers COX cut the game off in the last inning :angry:. They came on an appologized the next day, and rebrodcasted the game.

I remember that dunk by Hymes. It was the first round of the Swac tournament, when they played the first rounds on campus sites. I remember because that night SU beat Lsu for the first time in baseball. I was damn mad at myself for missing the baseball game. I remember rushing home, from the basketball game to watch the last couple of innings when all of a SUdden the tv went blank. Them fU*kers COX cut the game off in the last inning :angry:. They came on an appologized the next day, and rebrodcasted the game.

Shole did....

I remember high-tailing it out of the minidome that night over to Alex Box...soon as I got there..it was like the 7th innning..some LSU fans walked past me on my way in there disgusted as hell..tehy said "Cador got lucky tonight... I was :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Come to think about it...I think Hymes dunked on Bates that night.

Best Athletes- QB Ricky Jones, a threat running or throwing. Led ASU to the SWAC's last undefeated season.

Basketball- Steve Rogers in the late 80s, early 90s, could create his own shot, drain the long jumpers. Ranked very high nationally in scoring (can't remember exactly where, but he was in the top 5)

Best QB- Darnell Kennedy, threw the most perfect passes. Made it look sooo easy. Could stand in there and right when the pocket was collapsing, he could zip out a missle on a rope.

Da hell happened to hm?!?! I remember his yella arse was a BEAST!

~walks out~

women's basketball @ AAMU

Carmelia Bloodsaw....probably the best female basketball player i have seen in person. Too bad she fell victim to the streets.

:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

Dude it?s awfully hard to stay in the parameters of this thread!

For SU
Devin Lewis Football, Mike Woods baseball (could have been a better football player), Brian ?Long arse Jumping? Johnson Track/Basketball, Jackie Mitchell Football/Basketball, Alfred Ard Football/Baseball, Jumbi Jones Basketball (the Swac?s Spud Webb), Kenyatta Sparks Football/Track

Around the SWAC
I can?t remember or know how to spell everyone?s name.
MVSU Karey Weaver Terrel Adams, Corey Holmes, Timmons,
Mike Archie He was the best wide receiver the SWAC never had a chance to see on the gridiron. Speed, size and enormous hands.)
JSU (The tall arse receiving corp of 2001 three of them should be NFL vets. Kent, Picaso Nelson Graylin Pratt, Shawn Gregory
GSU (Hymes, Lionel Hayes very underated QB who was a hooper in high school, The 2000-02 Defense) Walter Dean and Gant, anybody that size with speed like that is an athlete in my book. Same could be said for Bruce
ASU (Kennedy, The big tight end in 2001. I thought Pettway had the potential to dominate the SWAC bball)
TSU (Rakim Hollis, The qb that ruined SU 96 Homecoming
PVU (Bobby Perry just a pure dog, Greg Burks)
AAMU (the dude at pg that got all the steals).
UAPB (The QB that took SU to 3OT in 97 and the two headed running machine of 2000)
Alcorn (Marcus Hinton made it look so easy and I guess you could when you got Mack getting you the ball, about 5 cats from the 01-02 basketball squad, Kris Peters, Nate Hughes and Charlie Spiller, the SU killers. D. Carrey

Women?s
Jackie Winfield
Ro Monroe

Most of the SWAC?s women?s track in field from 89-present. Unsung, under appreciated, unpubliciezed and most importantly under funded.

Women- basketball- MVSU Pat Hoskins- led the nation in scoring and rebounding. The record A held until a few years ago.
Men- basketball- The late Al Ford- could score from anywhere on the court. I remember he and Lindsey Hunter going neck and neck.
Track-MVSU- Larry White- from Canton,Ms.- Only man to ever win the indoor 60 meter dash indoors as well as the 100 and 200 meters during the SWAC track meet 4 years in a row from 79-83. To my knowledge, no one has dup;icated this feat.
Football- The undertaker- Vincent Brown

Dude it?s awfully hard to stay in the parameters of this thread!
For SU
Devin Lewis Football, Mike Woods baseball (could have been a better football player), Brian ?Long arse Jumping? Johnson Track/Basketball, Jackie Mitchell Football/Basketball, Alfred Ard Football/Baseball, Jumbi Jones Basketball (the Swac?s Spud Webb), Kenyatta Sparks Football/Track

Around the SWAC
I can?t remember or know how to spell everyone?s name.
MVSU Karey Weaver Terrel Adams, Corey Holmes, Timmons,
Mike Archie He was the best wide receiver the SWAC never had a chance to see on the gridiron. Speed, size and enormous hands.)
JSU (The tall arse receiving corp of 2001 three of them should be NFL vets. Kent, Picaso Nelson Graylin Pratt, Shawn Gregory
GSU (Hymes, Lionel Hayes very underated QB who was a hooper in high school, The 2000-02 Defense) Walter Dean and Gant, anybody that size with speed like that is an athlete in my book. Same could be said for Bruce
ASU (Kennedy, The big tight end in 2001. I thought Pettway had the potential to dominate the SWAC bball)
TSU (Rakim Hollis, The qb that ruined SU 96 Homecoming
PVU (Bobby Perry just a pure dog, Greg Burks)
AAMU (the dude at pg that got all the steals).
UAPB (The QB that took SU to 3OT in 97 and the two headed running machine of 2000)Alcorn (Marcus Hinton made it look so easy and I guess you could when you got Mack getting you the ball, about 5 cats from the 01-02 basketball squad, Kris Peters, Nate Hughes and Charlie Spiller, the SU killers. D. Carrey

Women?s
Jackie Winfield
Ro Monroe

Most of the SWAC?s women?s track in field from 89-present. Unsung, under appreciated, unpubliciezed and most importantly under funded.

Definitely hard to limit it to just one.......but I would have to say the greatest HBCU/UAPB athlete in my time was QB Chris "Coach Rob" Robinson ('94-'95)!

Bobby Jett, Jr (RIP) was damn good on complete punt returns for us as well......affectionately named "Coast-to-Coast".

The UAPB QB that took SU to triple OT in '97 was Kevin Williams (#8)........and he was pretty awesome. The 2-headed running machine in 2000 was punned "Thunder & Lightning" by the GLF.......Ron Johnson and Dwight McKissic!

I have enjoyed watching other HBCU/SWAC atheletes........A. Joubert, Terrance Levy (RIP), Quincy Richard, Tramon Douglas, Robert "Superman/Clark" Kent, Dante Wesley, Kevin Williams, Kevin Thornton, Raymond Webber.......I'm biased on offense, especially WRs, so any good receiver goes down as great in my book!:)

Oh yeah......I admit I loved watching Michael Hayes and Randy Hymes, too!:tup:

Last edited:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Track-MVSU- Larry White- from Canton,Ms.- Only man to ever win the indoor 60 meter dash indoors as well as the 100 and 200 meters during the SWAC track meet 4 years in a row from 79-83. To my knowledge, no one has dup;icated this feat.

Maybe no man but a Woman, TSU Mary Onyali won both the 100 & 200 4 years in a row 86-89

TSU - Mary Onyali (Track & Field)
AAMU - Dannette young (Track & Field) 84-88

Your said name one so I am going with TSU track great, Jim Hines. He was the 1968 olympic gold medal and world record holder in the 100 meters (9.9). I think he held the record for some 20 years.

Jearl Miles Clark
Miles-Clark_Jearl.JPG

Career Highlights: 5-time Olympian; 1996 and 2000 Olympic gold medalist (4x400); 92 Olympic silver medalist (4x400); 93 World 400m champion; 97 World Indoor 400m champion; 93, 95, 2003 World Outdoor Championships gold medalist (4x400); 97, 99 World Outdoor Champs silver medalist (4x400); 4-time U.S. Outdoor 400m champion (93, 95, 97, 02); 4-time U.S. Outdoor 800m champion (98, 99, 03, 04); 2001 U.S. Indoor 800m champ; 1992 World Cup 400m champion; two-time World Championship 400m bronze medalist (95, 97)

Current American record holder Miles-Clark at age 36 ran 1:58.84 to win her third U.S. 800m title, at that time the fastest American time of the year at the 2003 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championshipslong the top U.S. 400m runner, in 2002, Miles-Clark trained for the 400m indoors but at the end of the season popped off a 1:59.02 for 800m at The Armory in New York Cityfor the second time in her career, Miles-Clark at the 2000 Olympic Games captured a gold medal in the 4x400m relayshe also pocketed relay gold at the 1996 Olympics in AtlantaMiles-Clark is coached by her husband, J.J. Clark, himself a 3:41.5 runner at 1,500mthe two were married November 30, 1996sisters-in-law are fellow 800m Olympians Joetta and Hazel Clark...originally a long jumper, Miles-Clark left that event behind when she graduated from collegeAlabama A&M never placed lower than 3rd at NCAA Division II nationals when Miles-Clark competed for themshe earned her degree in business in 1988. Became a godmother in September 1998, to the daughter of Nekita Beasley (former Florida 800 star)in 2002 Miles-Clark was ranked #1 in the 400m in the U.S. for the seventh timeher 11-appearances in the T&FN rankings is an event recordin 2002 Jearl and J.J. relocated from Gainesville, Fla., to Knoxville, Tennwhere J.J. is the womens head coach at the University of Tennessee. Jearl says getting used to the winters has been an adjustment.

Back