Your Greatest HBCU Athlete

TSUalum05

In YOUR OPINION, whose your alma mater greatest athlete while he or she was in college ? Just because an athlete had a professional career doesn't automatically mean they were the greatest,

I'm talking about why they were in college.

Try to leave out athletes who are or will eventually be in a professional hall of fame (for example, leave out a Walter Payton or Michael Strahan of that magnitude).

Also, whose the greatest athete of a HBCU other than your alma mater with the same parameters above.

Please don't turn this thread into smack or a debate. I just want to know YOUR individual opinion. That's why you should include 1 name for your university and 1 for another other than yours.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
For AAMU in recent memory I have to say Barry Wagner. He was probably the most dominant wide receiver I have ever seen.

While attending Alabama A&M University, Wagner starred in football and broke many school records held by former Pittsburgh Steeler John Stallworth
As a senior, he caught 112 passes for 1,817 yards (16.22 yards per rec. avg.), won Associated Press and Football News Division II All-America honors, was the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year, and played in the 1989 Senior Bowl. In one game against Clark Atlanta University, he caught 23 passes, setting two school single game records with 370 receiving yards and 5 receiving touchdowns.

He was a lil "too" arogant for NFL officials... Basically he acted like T.O. but in college lol.... So he joined Arena Football league where he is the alltime AFL all porpose yardage leader. Won 6 straight Ironman of the Year awards (AFL's version of the league MVP)

I use to love to Tracey Kendall throw to Barry Wagner. Wagner could catch anything throwed to him.

Best Athletes- QB Ricky Jones, a threat running or throwing. Led ASU to the SWAC's last undefeated season.

Basketball- Steve Rogers in the late 80s, early 90s, could create his own shot, drain the long jumpers. Ranked very high nationally in scoring (can't remember exactly where, but he was in the top 5)

Best QB- Darnell Kennedy, threw the most perfect passes. Made it look sooo easy. Could stand in there and right when the pocket was collapsing, he could zip out a missle on a rope.

For AAMU in recent memory I have to say Barry Wagner. He was probably the most dominant wide receiver I have ever seen.

While attending Alabama A&M University, Wagner starred in football and broke many school records held by former Pittsburgh Steeler John Stallworth
As a senior, he caught 112 passes for 1,817 yards (16.22 yards per rec. avg.), won Associated Press and Football News Division II All-America honors, was the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference player of the year and played in the 1989 Senior Bowl. In one game against Clark Atlanta University, he caught 23 passes, setting two school single game records with 370 receiving yards and 5 receiving touchdowns.

He was a lil "too" arogant for NFL officials... Basically he acted like T.O. but in college lol.... So he joined Arena Football league where he is the alltime AFL all porpose yardage leader. Won 6 straight Ironman of the Year awards (AFL's version of the league MVP)

Barry Wagner also played on the basketball team with me. He shared the SIAC POTY with Shannon Sharpe.

Barry Wagner also played on the basketball team with me. He shared the SIAC POTY with Shannon Sharpe.

Shannon Sharpe played basketball also? I remember Barry and Ondaray playing basketball, but I didnt recall Shannon playing.

I think to this day that Barry was jeolous of Shannon Sharpe's NFL career, because Wagner was a much better receiver than Sharpe was at Savannah State. I was in school when Barry came back to AAMU for grad school. He would always walk around with this "I know you know who I am" attitude. I just wanted to say ONE time, igga you in the ARENA league. He was just TOO arrogant for my liking... but he was a damn good receiver.

Best Athletes- QB Ricky Jones, a threat running or throwing. Led ASU to the SWAC's last undefeated season.

Basketball- Steve Rogers in the late 80s, early 90s, could create his own shot, drain the long jumpers. Ranked very high nationally in scoring (can't remember exactly where, but he was in the top 5)

Best QB- Darnell Kennedy, threw the most perfect passes. Made it look sooo easy. Could stand in there and right when the pocket was collapsing, he could zip out a missle on a rope.

I would also add Eddie Robinson and Reggie Barlow to the list..

For Tuskegee... it had to be that fat ass qb.. Maurice Heard (late 80s early 90s). If you looked at him you would laugh but that igga could throw the damn football.

mighty hornet said:

Can't argue with Mighty Hornet on those choices. Especially my all-time favorite ASU athlete . . . Darnell Kennedy. I can't say enough good things about that guy. He played for three different head coaches, and about five or six different offensive coordinators, and was a bonafide STAR under every one of them. He was also one of the nicest, most pleasant young men you ever wanted to meet. :tup:

Let me add Kevin Loder to the basketball line-up, and Tarvaris Jackson at QB also. Two great athletes with great collegiate careers.

BAMA STATE IN BASKETBALL-- I WOULD ADD TYRONE LOVETT. I TIHINK HE IS IN ITALY NOW PPLAYING. AND YOU CANT FORGET ABOUT LEWIS JACKSON. I NEVER SEEN HIM PLAY BUT HEARD THAT HE USE TO LIGHT THE SWEATBOX UP.

NOT TO LEAVE THE WOMEN OUT, SHAMEKA JACKSON FROM BAMA STATE AS WELL.

For AAMU basketball I would put Fred Clemons on the list. Man Big Daddy use to slam and the crowd would go crazy.

For AAMU basketball I would put Fred Clemons on the list. Man Big Daddy use to slam and the crowd would go crazy.

when it came to dunks... yeah Fred Clemons and Dirk Williams....Dirk transferred in from Virginia Tech and use to do some crazy ish.

overall players(from the years I can remember)Willie Hayes, Craig Lottie, Deartrus Goodman, Desmond Cambrige and Obbie Trotter...

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Prairie View A&M
Football - Charlie "Choo Choo" Brackins at QB/Otis Taylor at WR

Basketball - Zelmo Beatty at center

Granted, these are old school names, but they are talked about in very high terms. Brackins and Taylor were on the 75th anniversary SWAC team. Beatty is rated as one of the top 10 players from an HBCU. His team was so good that a basketball scholar player, Ken Houston, decided to play football instead. Houston is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

As for other sports like Barbara Jackett's women's track team, I will let others add the names.

Fred was a good player,too. He had a lotta heart. He's a Parole Officer in Cleveland,Oh and recently welcomed a new addition to his family- a baby girl.

when it came to dunks... yeah Fred Clemons and Dirk Williams....Dirk transferred in from Virginia Tech and use to do some crazy ish.

overall players(from the years I can remember)Willie Hayes, Craig Lottie, Deartrus Goodman, Desmond Cambrige and Obbie Trotter...

AAMU FOOTBALL - DB's - Brawnski Towns; Grady Brown; Brandon Reed

LB's - Walter Rodgers; Walter Bailey; Jamaal Ware; Johnny Baldwin

WR's - Thomas Jones; Cleophus Mann; Joe Jennings; John Stallworth; Neal Lindsey; Barry Wagner; Nic Wells; Kenyon Hambrick

RB's/FB's - Reginald Gipson; Alvin Pressnell; Mike Horton; Oliver Ross; Maurice Coleman; Jeremiah Bonds

QB's - Charlie Webster; Onree Jackson; Tracy Kendall; Kelcy Luke; Roland Hayes

P/K - Erskine Valerie; ; Travis Shugg; Rashard & Rashaun Cylar; Jose Osorio, Nduka Uriah

Lineman - James Kendricks; Richard (KY) Murreill; Robert Mathis; Rod Coleman; Frankie Smith; Kevin Lockhart; Sturgis Barnes; Joe Patton

AAMU FOOTBALL - DB's - Brawnski Towns; Grady Brown; Brandon Reed

LB's - Walter Rodgers; Walter Bailey; Jamaal Ware; Johnny Baldwin

WR's - Thomas Jones; Cleophus Mann; Joe Jennings; John Stallworth; Neal Lindsey; Barry Wagner; Nic Wells; Kenyon Hambrick

RB's/FB's - Reginald Gipson; Alvin Pressnell; Mike Horton; Oliver Ross; Maurice Coleman; Jeremiah Bonds

QB's - Charlie Webster; Onree Jackson; Tracy Kendall; Kelcy Luke; Roland Hayes

P/K - Erskine Valerie; ; Travis Shugg; Rashard & Rashaun Cylar; Jose Osorio, Nduka Uriah

Lineman - James Kendricks; Richard (KY) Murreill; Robert Mathis; Rod Coleman; Frankie Smith; Kevin Lockhart; Sturgis Barnes; Joe Patton

rb/fb.... you cant leave out Reginald Whitehead...

Two come to mind.....

Alberto White

and

Theon (sp) Dotson

Alberto was the first player drafted in the NFL (modern draft) before his senior year from a HBCU. Funny you bring his name up. He just mailed in his renewal dues for TSUNAA.

That dude ran his 40 for the scouts in army boots. :lmao:

Alberto was the first player drafted in the NFL (modern draft) before his senior year from a HBCU. Funny you bring his name up. He just mailed in his renewal dues for TSUNAA.

That dude ran his 40 for the scouts in army boots. :lmao:

That boy was thrown off.... Negro would walk around campus with mohawk., wife beaters, shorts and sandals when its 30 degrees outside.

Back