Your Greatest HBCU Athlete

Al Ford, Marcus Mann, Ashley Ambrose, Corey Holmes, Tyler Knight, Tyrone Timmons, Henry Jordan, Dewayne Jefferson, and Michael Archie (damn if that boy hadn't got shot)

For JSU, you'd have to begin with Walter Payton. He set virtually all rushing records at JSU, before going to the Bears. Then comes Lewis Tillman, Willie Richardson, Kevin Dent, Jimmy Smith, Sylvester Morris, Dennis Conner, Charles 'Ray' Davis, and Robert Kent.

Basketball-wise, you have to list the Short brothers, Eugene and Purvis. Followed closely by Lindsey Hunter and Trey Johnson. On the women's side, Bertha Hardy comes to my mind.

On the baseball diamond, it's Dennis 'Oil Can' Boyd.

In Track-n-Field, it's (Ohhh, I forget his name, National Champ a few years ago)... That dude..

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
If I remember correctly wasnt Andrew "poncho" Glover all SWAC in football basketball and track all in the same year? I think '88 or '89?

If I remember correctly wasnt Andrew "poncho" Glover all SWAC in football basketball and track all in the same year? I think '88 or '89?

Yep. :tup: I think he left in '91. I think he played with Jake Reed and Walter Dean.

Yep. :tup: I think he left in '91. I think he played with Jake Reed and Walter Dean.

Well in that case by true definition,if any other swac athletes can't compare accomplishments, Glover would be considered the greatest "athlete" because he performed and acheived at a high level.

"S"

Here are the one's I saw personally.
Football-Aneas Williams,Micheal Ball, Maurist Hurst,Shawn Wallace, Nathaniel"Nat the Great" Harrison,Roger Sarriono,Carlos Leach, Ronald Scott, Rufus Porter,Demarcus Miller, and Nathaniel Bell.

BasketBall-Avery Johnson, Bobby Phills, Jervoughn Scales, D. Battle, Kevin "Ice Man" Flourent, Carlos Sample, Jeff Faulkner, and Lenord White.

Baseball-Rickie Weeks, Fred Lewis, Dewan Day, Andrew Toussiant, Marcus Townsend "RIP", Micheal Woods, Antoin Gray, Fernado Puebla

Womens Basketball- Jackie Winnfield GOAT in the SWAC, and Yolonda Monroe

To me, the person who would get the nod for this would not only be exceptional at their primary sport, but they would have to also be good at other things.

I arrived in Jackson in '79. We played pickup basketball with some sawed-off, muscle-bound, soft-talking dude from down in the country. I found out he was an alumnae in town to visit with W.C. Gordon for a few minutes. Dude could jump out of the gym, hand great handles, and was excellent from 15-18 feet. He was in the Union later bowling a couple of games in the 200's and had been out golfing with some of the folks in the tower earlier in the day. I later found out his name was Walter Payton.

He gets my vote.

Some of you guys are horrible and can't follow directions. You were to choose 1 from your university and one from another. Without people who are or going to to the hall of fame.

Some of you guys just put down 1-15...Everyone has plenty of great athletes, but can you find one meeting those parametersabove??????????

Some of you guys are horrible and can't follow directions. You were to choose 1 from your university and one from another. Without people who are or going to to the hall of fame.

Some of you guys just put down 1-15...Everyone has plenty of great athletes, but can you find one meeting those parametersabove??????????

You need to change the name of the thread then... How can you have a "GREATEST HBCU ATHLETE" thread and not include the "GREATEST" players....?

Maybe you shoulda said something like ... "the best players that are unknown" or something...

2 unknowns that are forever entrenched in PV's yearbooks that helped to create the monsters that were the Nat'l championship teams of '53 and '54 (?) are DTs Ira Franklin and his twin brother Eric Franklin (RIP to both :( ). Standing @ ~ 6' 0" and weighing in @ ~290-300lbs of pure country-boy muscle from head to toe, they were the catalyst that maintained the "middle" of PV's glory years. :read: From what I understand, they were totally unblockable. They would've been the first brother-pair HBCU grads chosen for the NFL had they not been called to serve in the Korean conflict. :read: A close 2nd would be another unknown, unless you were there to be a "witness," is Earnest Brow (RIP :() native of Hitchcock, Texas. In my eyes and I've seen plenty and I also was a pretty decent one back in the day according to texas uil :retard:, he's the greatest QB I'd ever witnessed. :tup:

Kendrick Nord of Grambling State and Mark Washington of Jackson State are my selections for others. :tup:

newboy, look who you asked. :dizzy:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
You need to change the name of the thread then... How can you have a "GREATEST HBCU ATHLETE" thread and not include the "GREATEST" players....?

Maybe you shoulda said something like ... "the best players that are unknown" or something...

Good point, someone change this thread to

"the best players that are unknown"

Good point, someone change this thread to

"the best players that are unknown"

In that case. I'd said ... probably say:

JSU-Mark Washington (GREAT QB)
SU - Michael Hayes.... my God did this guy drop a single pass while he was at SU???? He beat us by himself in the championship game.

Basketball. Ryan Lothridge. dude was smooth..

Football.. Carlos Knight Train, Michael Hayes from SU,

Really this is kind of hard because we all know the name guys.

From my time on the yard and what I've seen in person.

The best ATHLETE I've seen from another school was Grambling's Randy Hymes (saw him play football AND basketball). An absolutely amazing physical talent.

From Southern...

Lil' Mike was probably the best athlete on campus when he was there, Rickie was fun to watch. But with Mike, Rickie, Townend (R.I.P), Fred Lewis kind of got lost in the shuffle in terms of attention. Damn that Barry Bonds holdin' on to glory, Fred would've been in the show quicker if it weren't for him.

I'm kind of torn on the men's side with Lil' Mike, Rickie, Fred, Townsend from baseball...along with Melvin Williams, Steve Wofford, Michael "PS" Hayes and Ryan Lewis.

Females....Jackie Winfield, bar none from Southern and any other school in the conference. She dominated from the word "go."

I'm kind of torn on the men's side with Townsend from baseball...

That boy was nice...Fast as a deer and in 2004 at SU, he hit a ball that went foul down the left field line that got out of the park in 1.5 seconds...Thank god it was foul because if it was fair, he deserved 6 runs for the run rocket...

That boy was nice...Fast as a deer and in 2004 at SU, he hit a ball that went foul down the left field line that got out of the park in 1.5 seconds...Thank god it was foul because if it was fair, he deserved 6 runs for the run rocket...

The thing is Fred Lewis was faster. SU baseball team could have won the SWAC in track between 02,03.

For JSU, you'd have to begin with Walter Payton. He set virtually all rushing records at JSU, before going to the Bears. Then comes Lewis Tillman, Willie Richardson, Kevin Dent, Jimmy Smith, Sylvester Morris, Dennis Conner, Charles 'Ray' Davis, and Robert Kent.

Basketball-wise, you have to list the Short brothers, Eugene and Purvis. Followed closely by Lindsey Hunter and Trey Johnson. On the women's side, Bertha Hardy comes to my mind.

On the baseball diamond, it's Dennis 'Oil Can' Boyd.

In Track-n-Field, it's (Ohhh, I forget his name, National Champ a few years ago)... That dude..

You left off some great JSU bball players like Audie Norris(tore down the backboard against Alcorn), Kenny O'Banner, Northern "Doc" Shavers.

Now as far as I saw up close and live during my lifetime, it would Walter Payton and Jerry Rice in Football. Everybody else was secondary to them. Maybe Doug Williams and Steve McNair can be added that I saw.

Basketball..............Harry "Machine Gun" Kelly of TxSU was probably the baddest dude I saw. Alot of other great ones. But he stood out to me.

Baseball.......Rickie Weeks of SU

Like I said, hands down, She was the GOAT, female athlete during my lifetime in the SWAC.

I remember several games in which Jackie just laughed in the face of the people guarding them....seconds before she either took them to the hole or drilled a trey in their grill...

The coldest part about Jackie was she just made it look easy as hell.

I remember several games in which Jackie just laughed in the face of the people guarding them....seconds before she either took them to the hole or drilled a trey in their grill...

The coldest part about Jackie was she just made it look easy as hell.

Or how she would dribble the ball in the backcourt until 15 seconds were left on the shot clock, and proceed to make some kind of move and make the shot every time.

Back