Will anyone in the SWAC make Grambling play honest football?

a competent offensive line can solve all that jazz. I sat and watch receivers wide open during the night, but our offensive line's inability to pick up simple stunts, twists, and delayed blitzes resulted in the constant pressure directly up the middle. I guess that can be expected because we were starting a true freshman at center.

this thread isn't based off one game though. I watched them the week before as well. They make some slight adjustments with gap control but this is pretty much their style of play.

On the big runs that Valley made, we had guys (lb's) over pursuing and not maintaining gap integrity. Once we got that ironed out, it was a different story. Our DLine impressed me...didn't know we had such a good rotation beyond the starters. Good feet on all of them.

On the big runs that Valley made, we had guys (lb's) over pursuing and not maintaining gap integrity. Once we got that ironed out, it was a different story. Our DLine impressed me...didn't know we had such a good rotation beyond the starters. Good feet on all of them.

man yall Dline is crazy. Can't lie they play like Grambling of old.

DGTM I saw that too, they weren't picking anybody up at all lol. Wish I could watch the endzone view of Gram's front 7 to see what kind of stunts & blitz packages they were specifically running to cause so much confusion. I did see a few delayed blitzes in there a few times.

Dude you got like two players back. This is STILL the same ole sorry team that went to Alcorn. If you play Alcorn in Houston... it's gonna be worse. They gonna be way to fired up them... LOL Lawd the jokes. I kinda hope ya'll luck up and go. :lol:

2? You sure about that?

When you have a factor like Willie Quinn on your offense it will force your defense to play honest! I hope and pray Grambling send pressure! Quick slants to Quinn will be deadly! What make our offense so tough right now is the balance!

2? You sure about that?

Isn't it amazing? First they were making jokes about how many players(more than 2) we were missing due to those issues, but now that the team is whole again and winning, they want to minimize the effect that had on our team.

When you have a factor like Willie Quinn on your offense it will force your defense to play honest! I hope and pray Grambling send pressure! Quick slants to Quinn will be deadly! What make our offense so tough right now is the balance!

Exactly, but I'm not worried about Grambling right now. I am focused on TXSU and Valley first. You know both are going to give us their best shot.

a competent offensive line can solve all that jazz. I sat and watch receivers wide open during the night, but our offensive line's inability to pick up simple stunts, twists, and delayed blitzes resulted in the constant pressure directly up the middle. I guess that can be expected because we were starting a true freshman at center.

You actually have a good o-line coach. You may not have the depth there.

Watching these Games make me wonder, did any Coach study(not Watch) the lamar Game.. It is Really Sad to see SWAC coaches and QBs can't beat a defense that not Hiding anything. All you have to do is have a underneath Route and a Deep Route on the Same Side.. You don't have to hide nothing from Our Defense, they can Not stop that combination.. Jackson State did it, But went away from that game. Started putting 81 on a Island instead of sitting him by the Slot receiver.

Kill or be killed defense....let's face it a QB with legs can do something. This was shown during the Alcorn game and early in Valley game. Doing this leads your QB to be beat up with potential injuries. Valley's QB came to the side lines on multiple occassions and his arm was just dangling. The cameras showed him in clear pain. This was evident when Comegy pulled him.

Now what I like about Jonathan Williams (our QB) is that he is a moble threat and can pass in motion. Also I noticed the height and size of some of our WRs and I was like damn at the right camera angle you see the advantage.

Last night we had too many turnovers.

THIS!

When we played GSU, our problem wasn't offense, it was (like it's been for this & last year) defense. You can't take anything away from GSU; outstanding performances all season & a coach not getting caught up in the hype about how he & his staff have turned things around but taking it all in stride, not focusing others' record .......that's how you get it done. GSU totally annihilated us (63-39); yet our offense led in passing & rushing.

The first half of that game, especially going into the half, even though we were at a ten-point deficit (18-28), our defense held GSU & held them well. Had they came back after the half with that same drive and put more pressure on Johnathan Williams, forcing him to turn over, I think the score would have favored us better. Again, not taking anything away from Grambling (Johnathan Williams is probably my 2nd favorite QB in the SWAC), and I'm not saying we would have won; I just think if our defense wasn't a one-half-game-unit, we would have definitely given GSU a run for their money.

Last edited:
Simple and plain...the tight end will kill all that noise and we have two really good ones....now CG is an A-Hole who is stubborn about using them consistently, but if he does...hot routs with the tight end in the middle of the field will kill that, also the occasional will rout and/or screen with Tyree Brackens is gonna make Grambling re-think their whole defensive game plan....

All that you guys are saying sounds good, but while scheme is important this team is winning off two things all good teams must have to win...Effort & Execution. Grambling plays with GREAT effort every snap and the execution is good MOST of the time. That is why we are winning!

Watching these Games make me wonder, did any Coach study(not Watch) the lamar Game.. It is Really Sad to see SWAC coaches and QBs can't beat a defense that not Hiding anything. All you have to do is have a underneath Route and a Deep Route on the Same Side.. You don't have to hide nothing from Our Defense, they can Not stop that combination.. Jackson State did it, But went away from that game. Started putting 81 on a Island instead of sitting him by the Slot receiver.

At least you keep it real. The way some people are putting, there is no offense that can move the ball on GSU. I will say this, if we don't stop putting the damn ball on the ground so much, we will not beat anybody. Luckily, it didn't cost us yesterday. Interceptions have gone down, but our RBs are putting the ball on the turf too much. That's why our O can't put a complete game together. Defense has played well, the past few weeks. It is going to be a blood bath in the Super Dome, you can bet on that.

All that you guys are saying sounds good, but while scheme is important this team is winning off two things all good teams must have to win...Effort & Execution. Grambling plays with GREAT effort every snap and the execution is good MOST of the time. That is why we are winning!

I agree totally. Players play the game. Schemes can be overcome. It's all about the execution and determination by the players.

Back