Will anyone in the SWAC make Grambling play honest football?

Brave

Da Better U get, Da Better we get & That's IT
So far from the looks of it no one has been able to do it. That defense lines up & you are defeated before you even snap the ball because Grambling doesn't respect your QB or spread offense. There is no chess match at all. The Pre-Snap read is a no go because Grambling has already beaten you with a defensive formation of 3-3-5 variant (3-2-6/nickelback at LB).

They line a LB up on your RB's side to cover him, blitz you heavily off the weak side and dare your QB to beat them with his arm. He can't do it with his legs because they sometimes run a double spy with a LB & middle shallow safety. You can't run on them with your backs because their Dline & LB's are so good. The Defense's only weakness is crossing routes and slants which is negated with adequate pressure from the blitz and the double spy-zoning of the MLB and the middle shallow safety.

On top of that, just when you think you got a play out of the spread to protect it, they send the house (all LB's and Dlineman) with Zero coverage behind it (no deep safety). Now your QB is stuck with no one running a slant or cross, every wr is running a fly & the QB doesn't have time to even look at them....sacked. :lol:

all I can say is :clap:

Great coaching job Fobbs

Last edited:
If we had a QB worth shyt we would have beat them. Our QB's just don't fit our system.

Kill or be killed defense....let's face it a QB with legs can do something. This was shown during the Alcorn game and early in Valley game. Doing this leads your QB to be beat up with potential injuries. Valley's QB came to the side lines on multiple occassions and his arm was just dangling. The cameras showed him in clear pain. This was evident when Comegy pulled him.

Now what I like about Jonathan Williams (our QB) is that he is a moble threat and can pass in motion. Also I noticed the height and size of some of our WRs and I was like damn at the right camera angle you see the advantage.

Last night we had too many turnovers.

From what I've seen, JSU gave Grambling a lot of fits during their matchup earlier this season. If not for three really bad turnovers by LaMontiez Ivy, JSU would have won that game.

And I thought MVSU did some some really good things against Grambling in the run game last night, too. They just could not capitalize consistently on red zone opportunities.

Grambling runs a defense that dares you to pass. If an offense can hit the open spots with the pass or run then they will be in trouble.

High risk, high reward.

If we had a QB worth shyt we would have beat them. Our QB's just don't fit our system.

but everybody has left a Grambling game this year saying similar stuff. Nobody has proved Grambling wrong for playing that style of defense. Anytime someone runs Zero coverage pretty much all game its a sign of disrespect for the QB. Bama St will probably get crushed. They have some good wideouts but their QB isn't there yet.

JSU matches up well with Gram but they are poorly coached. Valley did too..same problem (defensive issues aside).

SU can pass but I don't know how talented their Wideouts are or their QB. There are formations that SU uses like the Pistol that will probably hurt Grambling some but you still have to execute it against heavy pressure. We'll see, so far Fobbs has bet right against the SWAC QBs

Last edited:
SU played the same defense style in 2010 and it hurt us big time but we got sacks, we blitz like crazy that year Lol with 0 help...

I think it can help you and it can hurt, we'll just have to see how ASU or SU can do damage to it, if so...

We would have a week to practice it so...again' we'll see..

but everybody has left a Grambling game this year saying similar stuff. Nobody has proved Grambling wrong for playing that style of defense. Anytime someone runs Zero coverage pretty much all game its a sign of disrespect for the QB. Bama St will probably get crushed. They have some good wideouts but their QB isn't there yet.

JSU matches up well with Gram but they are poorly coached. Valley did too..same problem (defensive issues aside).

SU can pass but I don't know how talented their Wideouts are or their QB. Their are formations that SU uses like the Pistol that will probably hurt Grambling some but you still have to execute it against heavy pressure. We'll see, so far Fobbs has bet right against the SWAC QBs

I've seen the SWAC wideouts and SU has the best in the conference and they are tall and big and fast..so it will be a good chess match with our O.C and their D.C. thus making the football game more exciting...

SU can pass but I don't know how talented their Wideouts are or their QB. Their are formations that SU uses like the Pistol that will probably hurt Grambling some but you still have to execute it against heavy pressure. We'll see, so far Fobbs has bet right against the SWAC QBs

Huh???

I really liked Q and how he looked against Grambling early (and even late. It was 28-23 in the 4th).

If Southern's QB can do something similar to that with more experience WR's, then it could be a great BC (that is if they beat us and have something to play for :lol:)

When you really sit back and look at how Grambling has won, they haven't been steamrolling people so that's why I give Alcorn (or AAMU) a shot against them in the BC if they make it there. They barely eeked by PV and JSU and were in a fight with us for most of the game. JSU really put up yards and points against them.

I haven't seen yall since the Alcorn game and that wasn't a good game to judge yall offensively

if you all do have big fast wrs that will help. Valley should have used that big number 80 they had in the redzone more.

I really liked Q and how he looked against Grambling early (and even late. It was 28-23 in the 4th).

If Southern's QB can do something similar to that with more experience WR's, then it could be a great BC (that is if they beat us and have something to play for :lol:)

When you really sit back and look at how Grambling has won, they haven't been steamrolling people so that's why I give Alcorn (or AAMU) a shot against them in the BC if they make it there. They barely eeked by PV and JSU and were in a fight with us for most of the game. JSU really put up yards and points against them.

interesting!!!!

Did you expect a team that won 3 games in the previous 2 seasons to steam role people? Hell I expect us to beat SU by 3 or less. Truth be told not one GSU Alum thought we would be in this position this year. Not one!!!

I talk shit because I love my school. Hell I talked shit the season after we won 1 game....but Fobbs has motivated this team and if we win by 1 point then I'm hapy for the W. Quite frankly I'm glad we are not steam rolling people. It keeps us ground.

this is true, I really wish I could have witnessed our game against Grambling. It would tell me more. I do agree that if anyone unlocks the code to Gramblings Defensive formation & its pressure they would probably be in deep trouble.

But I haven't seen them run any Cover 2 or Cover 3 so I can't really judge what Grambling is capable of in those style's of defense either. Either way, that would create more running lanes & that's is what Grambling Defense cannot afford to give up.

I haven't seen yall since the Alcorn game and that wasn't a good game to judge yall offensively

if you all do have big fast wrs that will help. Valley should have used that big number 80 they had in the redzone more.

Fair enough!

I do with well. But hopefully with another year in the system and Stafford leaving, he can become more of a focal point in the offense.

SU is a totally different team. SU had players out due to compliance and injury. Also they keep things real vanilla for the freshmen QB. Since then we have open the playbook up. SU is really balanced and I dare someone to try to check our WR's man to man lol.

your QB has to be mobile and be able to get rid of the ball quickly....our LB's are coming..#59 Aaron Breed, #15 Steve Orisake, #32 David Smith are coming......for the 1st quarter I thought Valley had figured us out Defensively, but I think our defense finally settled in once we scored our first TD, and Valley could really get nothing going after that...our Front 7 & is the strength of our Defense and we have depth at those positions...#27 Tyree Hollins is our best DB....Fobbs and Staff are doing a good job coaching these kids up

your QB has to be mobile and be able to get rid of the ball quickly....our LB's are coming..#59 Aaron Breed, #15 Steve Orisake, #32 David Smith are coming......for the 1st quarter I thought Valley had figured us out Defensively, but I think our defense finally settled in once we scored our first TD, and Valley could really get nothing going after that...our Front 7 & is the strength of our Defense and we have depth at those positions...#27 Tyree Hollins is our best DB
Alabama St front 7 is way better.

SU is a totally different team. SU had players out due to compliance and injury. Also they keep things real vanilla for the freshmen QB. Since then we have open the playbook up. SU is really balanced and I dare someone to try to check our WR's man to man lol.

Dude you got like two players back. This is STILL the same ole sorry team that went to Alcorn. If you play Alcorn in Houston... it's gonna be worse. They gonna be way to fired up them... LOL Lawd the jokes. I kinda hope ya'll luck up and go. :lol:

SU's oline has given up 5 sacks all year long. You better blitz to get pressure *snicker*

Dude you got like two players back. This is STILL the same ole sorry team that went to Alcorn. If you play Alcorn in Houston... it's gonna be worse. They gonna be way to fired up them... LOL Lawd the jokes. I kinda hope ya'll luck up and go. :lol:

SU was missing it's DB's, O and D-linemen, LB's and 3 RB's. Against PV and Alcorn our starters had to play on special teams. We had Tillery running down on kickoffs and punt returns because we had no depth then. Again always wrong.

Last edited:
Back