USC starting point guard killed in Louisiana

jag77

:smh:

USC starting point guard killed in Louisiana

May 14, 2006

AP - May 13, 4:51 pm EDT
More Photos

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California freshman point guard Ryan Francis was shot and killed early Saturday while riding in a car in Louisiana, where he was visiting his mother.

The 19-year-old Francis was killed about 3:30 a.m. in Baton Rouge, said Tim Tessalone, USC's director of sports information.

Francis was among four passengers whose vehicle pulled up to a stoplight. The driver of another vehicle got out and opened fire, said Lt. Keith Bates of the Baton Rouge Police Department. The driver of the car Francis was in attempted to drive away but Francis, who was sitting in the back seat, was shot multiple times.

Bates said no one else in the vehicle was injured.

One person has been arrested, Bates told the Los Angeles Times and The Advocate of Baton Rouge.

ADVERTISEMENT

Francis was the starting point guard this past season for USC (17-13) and averaged more than seven points a game. He ranked seventh in the Pac-10 in assists (111) and fifth in steals (47).

Francis was a standout in high school. He scored 22 points a game at Glen Oaks High School in Baton Rouge, leading his team to a 36-0 record and the state's 4-A championship in 2004-05. Francis was named the 2005 Louisiana Class 4-A Player of the Year.

"We're all devastated," said USC coach Tim Floyd. "We've lost a special young man who in his short time at USC made an impression that will last forever."

Francis' teammates were stunned when they heard of his death Saturday morning.

"He was a tough player on the court and a really cool guy off of it," said sophomore Nick Young, the Trojans leading scorer. "It hurts really deep to see something like that happen. We became really close. I'm really at a loss for words. He helped me out in so many ways. Not only on the court but off it as well."

Sophomore starter Gabe Pruitt added: "Ryan was a really good friend, teammate and person. we really got close in the short time he was here. He will truly be missed."

Updated on Sunday, May 14, 2006 1:04 am EDT

Email to a Friend | View Popular

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Very sad. We were at the Cajun Dome last year when Glen Oaks won the State Championship. He was a good player. Prayers are up for his family.

Ryan was a good kid...I ran a biddy basketball league here in Baton Rouge..Southern Lab Biddy Basketball and Ryan was one of our stars...We were national runnerups our first year...His smile would light up a room...Ryan was loved by all....I WILL MISS TALKING TO RYAN...RIP...

Man this is horrible.Especially before Mother's Day. Man what is wrong with our brothas? I am tired of hearing and reading stories like this. You really don't see sistahs killing each other as much like their brothas. What did this brotha do to get shot multiple times? Sadly it's not the last time we are going to hear about storie like this either. My heart go out to his family.

Advocate said:
Floyd said Francis, 19, was home to be with his mother on Mother?s Day. She lives less than 3 miles from the intersection of Winbourne Avenue and North Acadian Thruway ? where the shooting took place.

?He loved basketball, he loved USC and he loved his mother very much,? Floyd said.

Francis was riding in a 2006 Chevrolet Impala, driven by a friend, about 3 a.m. when they stopped at a red light next to a 2000 Mitsubishi Montero Sport, Bates said.

Detectives said that is when the driver of the Mitsubishi, D?Anthony Norman Ford, 19, 3617 Lanier Drive, recognized the driver of the Impala as someone with whom he had an earlier dispute and pulled into the intersection to block the Impala.

Ford allegedly pulled out a gun and started firing at the Impala as its driver tried to speed away, striking Francis multiple times, detectives said.
:shame: :shame:

:redhot: THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF!!!!

Are folks that jealous? that envious? that dayum evil?

What reason can be given for such a pointless act?

My heart breaks for his mother and his family.

WAKE UP, MY YOUNG BROTHAS! WHY ARE YOU KILLING YOURSELVES?:smh:

pbla said:
Man this is horrible.Especially before Mother's Day. Man what is wrong with our brothas? I am tired of hearing and reading stories like this. You really don't see sistahs killing each other as much like their brothas. What did this brotha do to get shot multiple times? Sadly it's not the last time we are going to hear about storie like this either. My heart go out to his family.

Ditto. It is said to die like this at anytime but Mother's Day wkend. I wish our brothas will wake up and stop all of this senseless killings. Was he the only one that got shot? If so it is a blessing that we are not talking about the others in the car. RIP my young brother.

OnlySU said:
Something else thats sad,is the kid driving the other car lives not that far from Ryan...

I was saddened when I heard of the shooting on Sat but was taken to a new low when I found out who the alledged shooter is. This boys mother is running a program trying to give kids a second chance and he is out at 3:00am shooting at people in cars.

What kind of history was there between these guys? I'm sure they knew each other.

cat daddy said:
I was saddened when I heard of the shooting on Sat but was taken to a new low when I found out who the alledged shooter is. This boys mother is running a program trying to give kids a second chance and he is out at 3:00am shooting at people in cars.

What kind of history was there between these guys? I'm sure they knew each other.

Ryan was an only child.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
cat daddy said:
I was making reference to D?Anthony Ford. He has been arrested in the shooting. His mother runs Second Chance Academy.

I read that. Very sad for both parents.

This is senseless. My prayers are with the Francis family. I watched Francis play against The Lab. He had a solid future ahead of him. :smh: :(

Why are these Hip-Hop generation Nukka's such Sissy ARSE Hoooo's?

These Nukka's are scared to swing those hands, but will do a drive by in a second. If you got static with a Mo-Fo, ain't no better satifaction in the world than knowing you whipped as Mo-Fo ARSE with those fists.

Any Sissy ARSE Mo-Fo can pull a trigger, but a real Mo-Fo can swing them thangs!

**** take and ARSE whipping, but atleast you live another day to fight again. Now this punk ARSE Mo-Fo done took someone's life and lost his as well.........:smh:

TruBluJAG said:

These Nukka's are scared to swing those hands, but will do a drive by in a second. If you got static with a Mo-Fo, ain't no better satifaction in the world than knowing you whipped as Mo-Fo ARSE with those fists.

Any Sissy ARSE Mo-Fo can pull a trigger, but a real Mo-Fo can swing them thangs!

**** take and ARSE whipping, but atleast you live another day to fight again. Now this punk ARSE Mo-Fo done took someone's life and lost his as well.........:smh:
They don't just fight anymore, thats the thing. BR nightclubs need police security point blank. Until that happens, problems will always occur. I think there is some kind of law that prevents police from working at clubs in BR.

TruBluJAG said:

Frat:

My point exactly...Just like you said...a sissy....:smh:

People don't fight...... I haven't heard of a fight in a long time.... YES it is very sad, but these are the times we are living in and we have to adapt and move forward...

I wish I would try and fight someone in 2006:argue: ...... It wouldnt be me.... It seems like it is just kids.... But it is everyone.... And there reasoning is why fight when I can shoot and get it all over with quickly :shame: ....

cat daddy said:

Ryan went Glen Oaks and i think the other kid went to Belaire...Greenwell St. and Lanier sits between the two neighborhoods,and both are black neighborhoods...One night at a basketball game a kid from Belaire high ran on the court and filp off the Glen Oaks kids,and it was on...This is soooooo SAD...

And we wonder why Central, Zachary, and possibly the Woodlawn District want to be separate.

Back