LOUISIANA'S BEST(boy's basketball)

I am kinda biased when it comes to Baton Rouge scholols since I went to Southern Lab and I am from Baton Rouge, but how about Coach Joel Hawkins winning his 1027th game in his coaching career becoming the states all time leader in basketball victories in the state...he also won the National Coach of The Year award after winning his 1000th game in the state championship last year. Good job Glen Oaks as well, I think Hawkins and Adger are two of the best coaches in the state as far as getting the best out of their players even when they may not have the height or the best talent.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Way to go!!

www.2theadvocate.com

Gatorade picks Mitchell as state's boys basketball player of year

Advocate staff report
To say that Tuesday was a notable day for Denham Springs basketball standout Tasmin Mitchell might be an understatement.

In addition to playing in an All-Star game in Chicago at the United Center, the 6-foot-7 LSU signee garnered a top national honor.

Mitchell was selected as the Gatorade Circle of Champions Boys Basketball Player of the Year for Louisiana.

Mitchell also scored 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the Roundball Classic on Tuesday.

As a senior, Mitchell averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots per game, leading the Yellow Jackets to the quarterfinal round.

Mitchell is the third straight Baton Rouge player to grab the Gatorade honor. He is the fourth straight LSU signee to win it.

In 2004, Glen Davis of University High won the award. Reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Brandon Bass won the award as a senior at Capitol in 2003. Current LSU guard Darrel Mitchell of St. Martinville was the 2002 winner.

"Tasmin is a very unselfish player," DSHS coach Paul Smith said in a press release. "He is a great player, person and leader."

Mitchell is now eligible to win the national Gatorade Circle of Champions award that will be announced later this spring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright ? 2004 2theAdvocate.com, The Advocate, WBRZ. All Rights Reserved.

JagBR said:
Way to go!!

www.2theadvocate.com

Gatorade picks Mitchell as state's boys basketball player of year

Advocate staff report
To say that Tuesday was a notable day for Denham Springs basketball standout Tasmin Mitchell might be an understatement.

In addition to playing in an All-Star game in Chicago at the United Center, the 6-foot-7 LSU signee garnered a top national honor.

Mitchell was selected as the Gatorade Circle of Champions Boys Basketball Player of the Year for Louisiana.

Mitchell also scored 17 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the Roundball Classic on Tuesday.

As a senior, Mitchell averaged 23 points, 10 rebounds and 3.5 blocked shots per game, leading the Yellow Jackets to the quarterfinal round.

Mitchell is the third straight Baton Rouge player to grab the Gatorade honor. He is the fourth straight LSU signee to win it.

In 2004, Glen Davis of University High won the award. Reigning Southeastern Conference Player of the Year Brandon Bass won the award as a senior at Capitol in 2003. Current LSU guard Darrel Mitchell of St. Martinville was the 2002 winner.

"Tasmin is a very unselfish player," DSHS coach Paul Smith said in a press release. "He is a great player, person and leader."

Mitchell is now eligible to win the national Gatorade Circle of Champions award that will be announced later this spring.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Copyright ? 2004 2theAdvocate.com, The Advocate, WBRZ. All Rights Reserved.
We need to get some of those nuckle heads on Southern's campus. What kills me is when they are growing up you see them a Southern football games , even the away game but when its time for them to make a choice they go running across town. :mad: . Not so much for Mitchell but I have seen Davis, Bass, and especially Semoine, and Channey(SU lab graduate) at Southern games when they were coming up.

Thibodaux's leading scorer hasn't signed...6'7" and can shoot and handle the ball. Grades are a problem, though.

More honors!

www.2theadvocate.com/prep/

Denham Springs star Mitchell named on Parade All-America team

Postseason honors continue to roll in for Denham Springs basketball standout Tasmin Mitchell.
The 6-foot-7 LSU signee is part of the Parade All-America basketball team that will be announced April 3.

"This means a lot," Mitchell said of the award. "I've worked hard to improve every year. There are still things I'm working on. An award like this shows that all the work has paid off."

As a senior, Mitchell averaged 26.9 points, 10 rebounds, 6.0 assists and 3.5 blocked shots per game, leading Denham Springs to the District 4-5A title and to the quarterfinal round of the Class 5A playoffs.

Mitchell will be Brady's 4th Parade All-American in the last three years. If these guys want to win, they better play for Pokey.

Yeah, I know some of the players and some of things they received along the way in high school to be pushed towards LSU. A kid would have to just want to go to one of ours schools for us to compete because if it was a recruiting contest, we don't have a chance.

GSUperTiger said:
Mitchell will be Brady's 4th Parade All-American in the last three years. If these guys want to win, they better play for Pokey.

Next basketball season, LSU will have Tasmin Mitchell (Denham Springs), Kentrell Gransberry (Woodlawn), D J Augustin (Brother Martin). I hope those guys talent want be wasted. They all had excellent High School years.

Back