Hornets Are Picked to Win Swac Eastl, With Offensive and Defensive POTY

Re: Hornets Are Picked to Win it All, With Offensive and Defensive POTY

MH,

We'll see about this East thang. You need to stop ringing that BELL and focus on Alcorn with Hobson as the Freshmen of year and defense that will stop the run.

hornetboy01 said:
YEP, THE TALL RECEIVER FROM BAMA STATE IS BACK AND HE WAS A SECOND TEAM SELECTION.

That guy has the potential to play pro ball.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

JROCK said:
That guy has the potential to play pro ball.

He was just a Sophomore last season. He will get some serious looks when his Senior Season comes around.

Sting said:
He was just a Sophomore last season. He will get some serious looks when his Senior Season comes around.

I am aware........He is one of the best young receivers I've seen in the SWAC. That is where the potential comes in at. That opener against SC State will be fun to watch.

Guys overlooked for All SWAC

Anthony Overstreet WR Southern
Randolph FB Bama State
Kevin Lockhart DL Alabama A&M

The news at SWAC Media Day was Chris Traylor, who is listed as first team All SWAC, will be the back up defensive end to Malasta Hill and Lieutenent Dukes. How was this kid voted All SWAC. Was it because he had the most sacks in the SWAC?

Poll has JSU finishing last

http://clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050730/COL0504/507300330/1025

July 30, 2005
Poll has JSU finishing last

By Rick Cleveland
rcleveland@clarionledger.com

Think things will get easier for James Bell and the Jackson State football team? Not if the predictions of SWAC coaches and sports information directors hold true. The Tigers ? coming off a 4-7 season in 2004 ? are picked to finish last in the league this year.

BIRMINGHAM ? Where the Jackson State football Tigers are concerned, one Old Testament phrase seems to fit best:

"Oh how the mighty have fallen."

Jackson State, for so long the SWAC's dominant football program, goes into the 2005 season picked to finish dead last in the East Division of the SWAC by the league's coaches and sports information directors.

Yes, last.

Dead last.

And that's a first for Walter Payton's school.

Behind Alabama State. Behind Alabama A & M. Behind Alcorn State.

Behind even Mississippi Valley State, a program Jackson State has owned (45 victories, five defeats and two ties) over the years.

"That hurts; that really hurts; it's got to be a first and it better be a last," said JSU junior running back David Kinnebrew at SWAC Media Day here Friday. "No offense to Mississippi Valley, but based on our tradition that hurts and it hurts bad."

Safety Cletis Gordon, the Tigers' lone pre-season first team All-SWAC selection, took it a step further.

"It's an insult," Gordon said. "It's an insult to us, and to our alumni and fans. It will definitely be a motivational factor."

'Looks awfully weird'

The pre-season poll had other long-time SWAC watchers shaking their heads.

Take for instance MVSU athletic director Lonza Hardy, who first went to work in the SWAC in 1980 as the sports information director at Alcorn.

"It looks awfully weird, doesn't it?'" Hardy said. "For so many years, Jackson was the most feared team in the SWAC. They dominated the '80s and much of the '90s. It just doesn't look right.

"To me," Hardy continued, "it's a sign of the other schools upgrading their programs."

Perhaps, but the poll also signals just how miserable these last two seasons have been at JSU. James Bell's first team finished 2-10. Last year, the Tigers improved to 4-7.

"Based on last year and the year before, the poll isn't all that surprising," Kinnebrew said. "But after the spring our confidence is a lot higher. We have a rededication to the program that will be evident on the field."

Pick cause for motivation

The Tigers, Kinnebrew said, will not lack for motivation.

"When somebody tells you you're going to finish last, that's big-time motivation to prove them wrong," he said.

The Tigers need all the motivation they can get, because the poll also shows that the league's coaches and publicists realize just how heavy graduation losses were at JSU. The Tigers lost 12 starters, including three each in the offensive and defensive lines. They also lost their leading passer, their leading receiver and their leading tackler.

Nevertheless, Bell remains as optimistic as ever ? and few are more optimistic than he. Some people see their glass as half empty, some as half-filled.

Bell sees his as overflowing.

During his press conference remarks, Bell pointed out the 2004 Tigers lost three games by a total of 11 points. He bragged about about a recruiting class that includes 18 linemen.

"We were better last year than we were the year before. We will be better this year," Bell declared.

Pre-season polls mean nothing, of course. Last year, Alcorn was picked to win the East. The Braves finished third. On the other hand, Jackson State was picked to finish fourth in 2004. That's exactly where the Tigers finished, ahead of only Valley.

A season later, the Tigers are picked to finish even lower, and that surprised Willie Totten, who knows better than most how dominating the Tigers have been.

"I'm sure that's hard to swallow for them," Totten said. "But predictions are just that ? predictions. I wouldn't be surprised if they surprised some people. I just hope it's not Valley."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Columnist Rick Cleveland at (601) 961-7210 or rcleveland@clarionledger.com.

JROCK said:
I am aware........He is one of the best young receivers I've seen in the SWAC. That is where the potential comes in at. That opener against SC State will be fun to watch.

He made some clutch catches down the stretch against Grambling...I like our true freshman (last year) Clyde Edwards who led us in receptions. He really emerged down the stretch and remained at the top of the depth chart through the Spring. He will benefit from the return of veteran Mose Harris who was the top returning receiver last year prior to being lost for the season prior to the first game. Both Edwards and Harris can stretch a defense with their deep ball catching ability ( something that Bruce throws very well).

good luck to all the Devils that made first and second team, MVSU gonna finally break through this year. Aries Nelson, Tyrone Timmons, Shang Moore, Marcus April, and Carlton Cotton gonna be forces on offense. Tyler Knight and Jarret Prout will head up one of the best linebacking corps in the SWAC, so it's all good in Itta Bena!

Back