HBCU's enrollment

I don't know what drives black folks to USM, guess they want to get away from home or they want to attend college with white folks, I guess the ice water is colder at USM. When national magazines rank the colleges in Mississippi, academically USM is usually ranked on the same tier as Jackson State.

USM almost lost it's accreditation about seven years ago. http://hnn.us/blogs/entries/8956.html

You are correct about academics... They are not getting the state's brightest. They are getting a few locals who don't want to venture far and the white kids who couldn't get into MSU or Ole Miss.

Lol.. Out of my crew, 3 went to USM, I went to JSU. Only 1 of the three at USM finished. However, if not for a football scholly, I would have been right at USM with all of my homeboys from high school. USM does a good job recruiting students. Hattiesburg is more welcoming to students than Jackson to me too.

IMO, the real difference between the PWC and HBCU is who's in charge and what are the goals and direction of the university.

Back