HBCU's enrollment

tomcat1

At work and decided to look up the enrollment figures. Two questions how did FAMU & NCAT grow so quickly and what is happening at Southern?

PVU numbers are growing too.

1.) FAMU 13,284
2.) NCA&T 10,795
3.) Howard 10,379
4.) TxSO 10,200
5.) Tenn ST 8,930
6.) JSU 8,850
7.) PVU 8,744
8.) NC Cent. 8,565
9.) SU 6,897
10.) Norfolk 6,840

Most people hate dealing with SU's enrollment office

Mason will get them back up soon. In my hometown, I talk to parents & students about attending JSU or other HBCU's on a monthly basis. Most of the parents didn't finish high school, but they will quickly say, "My child is going to a white school" and most of them do but they end up transferring to JSU or Alcorn.

What kills me is the fact that I use to give complimentary football tickets to JSU home games to many of those parents who say that.

Our schools are just as good as any and yes we are relevant. If anybody ask me if we are relevant, I simply respond with "yes we are, we been relevant since 1877". Then I ask? Is Ole Piss relevant? The answer should be yes, all colleges are relevant.

We must do a better job and promote, promote, promote.

Most people hate dealing with SU's enrollment office

LOL. That is not the real reason.

Baton Rouge Community College is bursting at the seems and it is hurting SU. That was supposed to be a feeder into SU and it has not materialized
Then you have had the negative local press
The entrance requirements have gone up over the years. I think it is the same as LSU's now. I could be wrong.

So it has been a lot of things to hurt our enrollment. Having bad administrations don't help either. The good thing is, Graduates are kicking arse coming out of there. Just had a conversation with some power player company representatives that were ranting and raving about the quality of the Engineering grads coming off the bluff.

Same in Texas as I've seen community colleges in less than 10 years grow into 15K schools on several sides of town....plus, we've killed open admissions and raised the cost up which makes competing for a academically sound black kid even harder (all wants that)

1. Higher admission standards

2. Expansion of the community college system

3. People badmouthing HBCUs every chance they get

Same in Texas as I've seen community colleges in less than 10 years grow into 15K schools on several sides of town....plus, we've killed open admissions and raised the cost up which makes competing for a academically sound black kid even harder (all wants that)

This ^^^. There's a CC system about to start offering <b>athletic scholarships for a football team and basketball team male/female to compete in NAIA</b>. (if memory serves correct) They're a 78,000+ enrollment CC system. :smh: Do the math (for athl fees).

Just had a conversation with some power player company representatives that were ranting and raving about the quality of the Engineering grads coming off the bluff.

Yep my fiance is recruiting them at her company left and right. PV grads too.

I've been informed by people in the know that applications are actually up from last year at SUBR...

FAMU never touched 15k. That was the plan and except for two bad presidents, we would be on the way to 20k, which is still in the plan, but I am doubtful due to the economy.

1. Higher admission standards

2. Expansion of the community college system

3. People badmouthing HBCUs every chance they get

4. Other schools working out deals to have slots available for kids from certain schools to attend. Spelman & Morehouse is doing this with the KIPP schools starting 2013 with 18 slots for graduates of Kipp schools (all 109 of them).

5. Public schools with college credit earning classes like we have in Dallas with Early College, Middle College and Gilliam having agreements with DCCCs.

PV's enrollment actually increased back when they raised the admission standards.

Last edited:
Enrollment has increased everywhere. My son did not do so well on the ACT and we are having a helluva time finding a school for him.

Mississippi laws were passed last month to allow our public universities to waive out of state fees for certain states. Word on campus is JSU might offer out of state fee waivers for students along our Mississippi River Route. (Detroit, Chicago, St. louis, Memphis) which will cover Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Tennessee.
Another avenue is to allow Louisiana (New Orleans), Tennesse (Memphis) and Alabama (Mobile) waivers.

With these new laws JSU, Alcorn and Valley should increase their enrollment.

Southern got real issues to deal with but I think they will be okay. Dr. Haynes is still mad as hell about not getting that job Mason got. He mentions it anytime Jackson State is brought up.

It's much better now than in the past. But that ain't the reason. Admissions requirements changed.

Also, FAMU was at 15k 10 years ago.

I think it is the admission requirements at each of universities that caused a drop in enrollment.

I think it is the admission requirements at each of universities that caused a drop in enrollment.

I don't know, that's what everyone believed would happen, but TSU had the drop from 10K to 8K students for two years and are now back up to 10K with the projection to be closer to 11K soon. I think PVs enrollments increased after they closed enrollment as well. If marketing does their job and no huge media crisis happens, we should be back at our mid 2000's peak of 12k by 2015 or 2016. With the new innovative undergrad and graduate degree programs recently added, we could exceed that. I would assume PV has the potential to increase enrollment to 10K by that time and they have the land & campus master plan to support the growth.

Enrollment has increased everywhere. My son did not do so well on the ACT and we are having a helluva time finding a school for him.

Ken if he wants to attend an HBCU talk to someone about the summer bridge programs for individuals that do not meet the admission standards. Most HBCUs and quite a few PWI regional institutions have programs like that where the students are accepted on a conditional basis until they complete the summer academic programs. The preliminary data from the one at TSU shows that the students who attended their summer program had high retention rates from their freshman to sophomore years and had a better transition from high school to college. Those students live together, have some block classes, and have mandatory study groups, which resulted in a lasting support system. Again, I know a lot of schools have those programs, but they are called different things. Ask about summer bridge or conditional acceptance programs. Good luck to you and your son on finding the right fit! :tup:

Mississippi laws were passed last month to allow our public universities to waive out of state fees for certain states. Word on campus is JSU might offer out of state fee waivers for students along our Mississippi River Route. (Detroit, Chicago, St. louis, Memphis) which will cover Michigan, Illinois, Missouri and Tennessee.
Another avenue is to allow Louisiana (New Orleans), Tennesse (Memphis) and Alabama (Mobile) waivers.

With these new laws JSU, Alcorn and Valley should increase their enrollment.

We need to figure out a way to throw Georgia (Atlanta) Texas ( wedo well in Dallas/Plano area) and have huge Alumni bases there to push kids to JSU

I don't know, that's what everyone believed would happen, but TSU had the drop from 10K to 8K students for two years and are now back up to 10K with the projection to be closer to 11K soon. I think PVs enrollments increased after they closed enrollment as well. If marketing does their job and no huge media crisis happens, we should be back at our mid 2000's peak of 12k by 2015 or 2016. With the new innovative undergrad and graduate degree programs recently added, we could exceed that. I would assume PV has the potential to increase enrollment to 10K by that time and they have the land & campus master plan to support the growth.

SU is in that Initial enrollment drop phase. They are now heavily recruiting and coming up with programs to allow Mississippi, Arkansas, and Dallas/Houston/Austin students to come to SU and avoid out of state fees.

SU is in that Initial enrollment drop phase. They are now heavily recruiting and coming up with programs to allow Mississippi, Arkansas, and Dallas/Houston/Austin students to come to SU and avoid out of state fees.

Yall will be fine. I don't think anyone with sense would worry about SU's enrollment drop. The only thing that does scare me is the number of HBCUs that are working on these in-state tuition waivers for out-of-state students. Yes they are innovative, but if they are not done right they could have lasting negative financial implications. The U of A had a drastic increase of students due to allowing TX and Missouri students to attend at in-state rates. Now the taxpayers in Arkansas are up in fits about it and want it reversed and the politicians are considering getting involved. The administration is nervous because if that happens they know those students will look elsewhere and it will significantly decrease the budget that is based on those students' tuition dollars. U of A could possibly sustain losing the students that they had budgeted for in projections since they matched the 121 million that they recieved from the state with 121 from private donations last year. I am afraid if that happen at a sister HBCU that we could not do the same with our low giving rates. I just encourage HBCU administrators to make sure the taxpayers and legislators really support it before making the change. Seeing what is taking place here has not been pretty.

I visited Texas Southern for the 2nd time since the 2002 and the campus looks great. Keep up the good work TSU.

Back