Ex-WNBA star Cooper accepts Prairie View A&M job

Good move P.V. you now have the most recognized coach in the conference, that includes men's basketball and football.

c'mon Dahill,
Roundtree doesn't begin to compare to Cooper.

Cooper has won professional championships and MVPs and has national notoriety. Roundtree was a good college player.

My initial response when I saw her name was 'Who is that'? But I did a google search on her. More people are prone to know Cynthia Cooper due to her collegiate championship teams, Olympics, and her stellar WNBA career.

mighty hornet said:
c'mon Dahill,
Roundtree doesn't begin to compare to Cooper.

Cooper has won professional championships and MVPs and has national notoriety. Roundtree was a good college player.

Co Sign. Even though Roundtree probably was a better player in college than Cooper. Cooper was on a team where she was the 4th wheel behind Cheryl Miller and the McGee twins, while Roundtree was UGA's star and took them to the Final Four. Still Cooper's name is bigger due to her WNBA career. Nobody knew who she was before then. Unless you followed her career overseas.

Good Job PV in hiring her. I think she will definitely be able to recruit. I don't what her patience will be with the young ladies. Most of the time, great players make bad coaches. There have been exceptions but that is normally the rule. Most of your best coaches were average to below average players or maybe didn't even play.

At this point the SWAC women teams have better coaches than the men's.

Jackson at ASU
Walker at Alcorn
Taylor at JSU
Pugh at SU
Cooper at PVU.....based on her name and the little coaching she did in WNBA.

What a coup by PV, getting a big name like that. I wish her well, but they can have John Wooden coaching everybody in the SWAC and they still wouldn't beat SU with lady jordan on they team.

that's the key....patience....we'll have to wait and see...

however, in Houston, she's damn near a legend off and on the court. Roundtree isn't as diversified off the court as Cooper when it comes to the business community. Cooper has done work wit GM, NIke, etv

the band fan said:
I want to also give thanks to a certain school with an 8,100 seat arena off Cleburne for their AD saying she does not like bus rides two years ago. Great PR move....

I didn't know she applied for the Yates job? :confused:
And there gym doesn't hold 8,100. :mad:

the band fan said:
that's the key....patience....we'll have to wait and see...

however, in Houston, she's damn near a legend off and on the court. Roundtree isn't as diversified off the court as Cooper when it comes to the business community. Cooper has done work wit GM, NIke, etv

Co-Sign again. That sums it up. Plus Cooper has connections to California as well, which will serve her well. Hell who knows who Coop knows. But for sure she will bring some sponsorship to the table. Maybe she can get Mattress Mac to give PV some funds. LOL.

Hey TBF, now that you guys just hired an ICON in Coop who can draw a crowd . Do you think the SWAC BB tourney should be moved to H-town? Isn't that just one more reason to do so.

runs out of thread before this :argue: begins. ~snicker~

if the finances ain't right...the SWAC won't move it....that's the major reason the baseball tournament isn't where it should be

FYI - Yates is on Sampson

watch for quick firings in the next year in women's hoops....mock my words

JR said:
Co Sign. Even though Roundtree probably was a better player in college than Cooper. Cooper was on a team where she was the 4th wheel behind Cheryl Miller and the McGee twins, while Roundtree was UGA's star and took them to the Final Four. Still Cooper's name is bigger due to her WNBA career. Nobody knew who she was before then. Unless you followed her career overseas.

Good Job PV in hiring her. I think she will definitely be able to recruit. I don't what her patience will be with the young ladies. Most of the time, great players make bad coaches. There have been exceptions but that is normally the rule. Most of your best coaches were average to below average players or maybe didn't even play.

At this point the SWAC women teams have better coaches than the men's.

Jackson at ASU
Walker at Alcorn
Taylor at JSU
Pugh at SU
Cooper at PVU.....based on her name and the little coaching she did in WNBA.

I remember her at USC. It is true that she was the fourth option.

It would be good if she had an experience assistant coach. It definitely helps young and inexperience coaches. It is what Larry Bird had with Harter (???) in Indiana. Nate McMillan has Bob Weiss in Seattle.

Patience will be needed. First, PV will have to be patient. For instance I am not expecting an undefeated season (an obvious statement). Again not only was she a great player, she played with great players in college and the pros. Her teaching the game to the players will be important too. Not every great player can adequately teach the game.

Next season should be interesting. I am looking forward to it.

Cooper to become Prairie View coach
Ex-Comets star has big plans for women's program
By W.H. STICKNEY JR.
Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Former WNBA superstar Cynthia Cooper is expected to be named the new women's basketball coach at Prairie View A&M within the next two weeks.

Cooper confirmed Friday she has tentatively accepted the post, contingent on details of a contract being worked out. Athletic director Charles McClelland said that should take place within the next 14 days.

"(This) gives us the ability to take our women's basketball program to heights it's never seen," McClelland said.

Although the Lady Panthers (6-21 last season) never have advanced beyond the semifinals of the annual SWAC tournament, Cooper is talking about far larger accomplishments.

"I have the same goals that the school has and that the athletic department has," Cooper said. "I want to be No. 1. I want to win. I'd like to see a historically black university not only make it to the NCAAs, but win a championship, win an NCAA championship. There's no reason why not."

The job opened up this month when Robert Atkins announced he was stepping downas of May 31. He compiled a 138-423 record over 20 years.

Cooper, 42, is one of the most decorated players to compete in the WNBA. The four-time WNBA Finals MVP retired in 2000 after leading the Comets to a fourth straight championship.

She was named coach of the Phoenix Mercury in 2001 and remained in that post for a little more than a year. After resigning, she twice attempted to return to the Comets as a player but each comeback was cut short by injuries.

Cooper realizes fund raising will be a large part of the job at Prairie View.

"The more success we have in the program, the more funds will come into the program and the more sponsorships we will get," she said. "Right now, it's just on faith.

"But hopefully, we can get some sponsorships, based on faith in the program, faith in my abilities and Mr. McClelland's abilities. Then later on, hopefully, they (will) judge us on our abilities, our performance. So, sure, it's a challenge."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/3171589

she's already coming in talking about sponsorships.....business before pleasure...I like that... :bowdown:

with recruiting already taking place and unsure what she'll put on the court, I hope fans are patient with the development of the program. Most fans didn't expect Francis to win it all after 1 year and expectations went through the roof...

I just hope Joe Fan is patient and don't bail after 1 season....

goal 1 already is just get back to the SWAC Tournament after 2 years

Good pick up PVU.

Wasn't Cooper a WNBA coach at one time? I don't think she did well as a coach or maybe I have her mixed up.

Originally posted by the Houston ChronicleI'd like to see a historically black university not only make it to the NCAAs, but win a championship, win an NCAA championship. There's no reason why not."

According to the above, we both believe the same thing. With so many black young men and women, an HBCU should be able to make to the Final Four or further. That statement confirms to me that she was the right choice.

:lecture:
More so than most other team sport, the young men and women must realize that the PWC basketball teams are only as good as the players they recruit. So, they should go to HBCU to make their teams good while avoiding a "miseducation of themselves (the negro)". At PWC, you can be educated and miseducated culturally.

I am against this move all the way :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

But who knows it's not like the Lady Panthers have been winning SWAC Titles. A marquee name like C. Coop may be just what the doctor ordered at Dear ole PV! :shades:

purple hill II said:
I am against this move all the way :uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

But who knows it's not like the Lady Panthers have been winning SWAC Titles. A marquee name like C. Coop may be just what the doctor ordered at Dear ole PV! :shades:

hill II stirring it up early! lol

I'll say this and leave it at that! :lecture:

First of all! PV needs a coach who will be around for the long haul! Not just another fly-by-night coach who will be building their resume! A rebuilding team like the Lady Panthers need longevity! Like I said in my earlier reply this may be just what the doctor ordered! Only time will tell! For PV Lady Panthers sake hopefully, it's not just a publicity stunt!

purple hill II said:
I'll say this and leave it at that! :lecture:

First of all! PV needs a coach who will be around for the long haul!

when you say 'long haul' do you mean a coach that will be there for another 20 years with a 138-423 record? This is a good move.

Storm96 said:
when you say 'long haul' do you mean a coach that will be there for another 20 years with a 138-423 record? This is a good move.

Let's just hope PV doesn't get this type of result:

She was named coach of the Phoenix Mercury in 2001 and remained in that post for a little more than a year. :smh:

Back