Bruce Eugene signs free agent deal...

im a Grambling man all the way, but its messed up that we have Two players going in the 2nd and 3rd round(highest picks in six years) in no one gives them props or even want to talk about their realistic furture in the NFL. Congrads to Bruce, but lets be real, bruce and hatcher will not be on the field at the same time this year.... Jackson will be on the field with hactcher. I understand that the SWAC does't judge talent well, because like i said before Jackson and that boy from valley is better than bruce, point blank.

UAPB '97 said:
Seriously, Jackson has a realistic chance of getting on the field THIS SEASON......
I hope he doesnt. They have veteran quarterbacks in Minnesota (Brad Johnson and Mike McMahon). I hope they give him time to hold the clipboard and learn as much as possible before putting him on the field.

GramFan said:
I hope he doesnt. They have veteran quarterbacks in Minnesota (Brad Johnson and Mike McMahon). I hope they give him time to hold the clipboard and learn as much as possible before putting him on the field.
True, true, but..... The way they jumped up to get him and, with Johnson being 37 and McMahon being horrible, I can see Jackson getting a few snaps if the circumstances present themselves (not in playoff contention, late in the season, etc.).

stroke said:
im a Grambling man all the way, but its messed up that we have Two players going in the 2nd and 3rd round(highest picks in six years) in no one gives them props or even want to talk about their realistic furture in the NFL. Congrads to Bruce, but lets be real, bruce and hatcher will not be on the field at the same time this year.... Jackson will be on the field with hactcher. I understand that the SWAC does't judge talent well, because like i said before Jackson and that boy from valley is better than bruce, point blank.

Apparently the league thought Jackson was the better pro qb prospect, but he was not a better qb than Bruce Eugene. Bruce cut a swarth through the SWAC's defenses. He completely mastered the passing game and dominated with his arm...and when needed made plays with his feet. No denying that.

Jackson is an athlete and very good quarterback...he was good in college and he will be good in the league. But as a collegian, Bruce was better...much better. The numbers (last year) and career bear that fact. Maybe Jackson would have put up similar numbers in the Grambling offense...I can't say. But in terms of productivity and being an unstoppable offensive force (even in the games he lost), Bruce was the deadliest to hit the conference since McNair.

UAPB '97 said:
True, true, but..... The way they jumped up to get him and, with Johnson being 37 and McMahon being horrible, I can see Jackson getting a few snaps if the circumstances present themselves (not in playoff contention, late in the season, etc.).

Jackson is waaaaay better than McMahon... with the Vikings jumping up to take him in the second round means they see him as a future (immediate) starter. I agree...he will serve behind Johnson and McMahon, but if Johnson gets injured and they are out of the playoffs...I think Jackson will show that he's really number 2.

Jax said:
:tup: Bruce. Way to go. This could actually be a good deal for him. Granted N.O. will keep 4 QB's (Brees, Martin, Bouman and McPherson) but then again, if Bruce shines during training camp then Bruce will be signed to the practice squad, then of course, he'll be sent to the NFL-E to get better.
No NFL team will keep 4 QB's. Wish u luck Bruce. Should be interesting.

MikeBigg said:
Bruce was the deadliest to hit the conference since McNair.
I would have to agree. Big Bruce was something else and will be talked about for years, just like we talk about McNair's swac days.

G-Man75 said:
Who does SU have going to an NFL camp this year? Does anybody know?

Dude,

You really need to get S.U. out of your systems. Those beat downs have you posting like a scolded woman. :lol: :emlaugh:

(somebody needed to enlighten you) :lol: :emlaugh:

I'm big on publicity and at the present time publicity is the key...The Rams picked up Denzel's son not just because of his skills but sure would be nice to cameo Denzel at the games, also the owner or somebody is the brother of the guy who played Jesus in the passion of Christ, and Denzel and the guy are either starting a movie together or finishing one together.

Bruce is good for morale of New Orleans...the Big Easy went back home to the Big Easy....now what if...this is a BIG what if...Bruce shows them that he has what it takes in training camp...do you know the publicity New Orleans will recieve......

The support...we have the top running back in NCAA matched with a hometown kid....

I know it sounds crazy and far out in left field...but crazier stuff has happend.

stroke said:

I said the same thing about 4 or 5 years ago when Greg Wesley of UAPB went to the Chiefs in the 3rd round and couldn't get one sentence of attention on the SWACPage. Greg has started EVERY Game for the Chiefs and is one of the top FREE Safeties in the league.

Good luck Bruce, but reality is he will be sent home the first cut in training camp.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
I'm big on publicity and at the present time publicity is the key...The Rams picked up Denzel's son not just because of his skills but sure would be nice to cameo Denzel at the games, also the owner or somebody is the brother of the guy who played Jesus in the passion of Christ, and Denzel and the guy are either starting a movie together or finishing one together.

Sweets, please hush.

Do not be foolish enough to think that the Rams just signed Denzel's son just because he is "Denzel's son". If you have not ever seen J.D. Washington play you are in no position to say this. Because if you have seen him play (and I have) you would not be saying this. The kid does have skills. There is something to be said about a kid who is one of the best football players to attend Morehouse.

So hush!

SAME OLD G said:
Sweets, please hush.

Do not be foolish enough to think that the Rams just signed Denzel's son just because he is "Denzel's son". If you have not ever seen J.D. Washington play you are in no position to say this. Because if you have seen him play (and I have) you would not be saying this. The kid does have skills. There is something to be said about a kid who is one of the best football players to attend Morehouse.

So hush!

I never said the kid didn't have skills I just said it's a helluva publicity stunt...hell I would have signed his ARSE to...

SAME OLD G said:
Sweets, please hush.

So hush!
Lol! Soggy tellin the sweetman to hush...... :lol:

In all honesty, I thought with Doug at TB, they would have considered picking up Bruce. :confused: Is Doug still at TB?

Jax said:
In all honesty, I thought with Doug at TB, they would have considered picking up Bruce. :confused: Is Doug still at TB?

I don't want to sound like a downer on Bruce, but lets be real for a minute...it was his weight, and only his weight that kept him from being drafted. The NFL today doesn't look for reasons why to draft a player...they look for reasons NOT to draft a player. Bruce has only himself to blame for that. He had 6 year at Grambling to work on it. Doug told him he needed to work it and Spears told him he needed to work on it. Hell, Coach Spears even sent him to a fat farm to fix it. Yeah, he lost a lot of weight before the start of the 06 season, but he slowly picked some of that weight back up also during the season. Now Bruce is slimmer than ever, but it was too little too late to get drafted.

Don't get me wrong, I am very happy that Bruce will get a chance to prove himself with the Saints, but he only has himself to blame for not controlling the weight when he had the chance to do it earlier. And it may have cost him financially.

Ask any team in the NFL and they will tell you that when the 6th and 7th rounds of the draft come around, they are simply trying to find the best available player on the board. You can't tell me that D.J Shockley (who only played on full year of football) is a better QB than Bruce, but yet Atlanta picked him up late in the 7th round.

I am telling you. It was the weight.

JROCK said:
Dude,

You really need to get S.U. out of your systems. Those beat downs have you posting like a scolded woman. :lol: :emlaugh:

(somebody needed to enlighten you) :lol: :emlaugh:
:confused: :confused: Makes no sense....... My thing is you people, especially SU, are in here bad mouthing the best QB the SWAC has seen since McNair. Eventhough yawl hate to admit it this is good publicity for the SWAC. On the real, if Grambling weren't in the SWAC, little to no publicity would be given to the SWAC. Like Ralph said on I-AA Waves, no one can touch Grambling. We get I-A attention and no HBCU football program is on Grambling's level. We get more attention than any HBCU program, a lot of I-A programs, and the majority of I-AA programs. Just face it Grambling Football is something special that all of you covet. Point blank!!!

G-Man75 said:
:confused: :confused: Makes no sense....... My thing is you people, especially SU, are in here bad mouthing the best QB the SWAC has seen since McNair. Eventhough yawl hate to admit it this is good publicity for the SWAC. On the real, if Grambling weren't in the SWAC, little to no publicity would be given to the SWAC. Like Ralph said on I-AA Waves, no one can touch Grambling. We get I-A attention and no HBCU football program is on Grambling's level. We get more attention than any HBCU program, a lot of I-A programs, and the majority of I-AA programs. Just face it Grambling Football is something special that all of you covet. Point blank!!!

G-Man75, I have taken the time to thoroughly review this thread and I don't see any SU folks bad mouthing the quarterback that you think is the best thing the SWAC has seen since McNair. Since I fall into the "you people" (read SU) category, here is how I see it.

Publicity for the SWAC, or any conference for that matter, is a good thing, as long as it is positive. Given that, I think the bands of the SWAC get more attention that any of the sports, but that is for another forum.

Now, looking at the thread, JROCK was the first person to give big ups to Bruce; that was in post #6. The first 5 posts were informational or comments about where the info came from, etc. Also in post #9, another one of the "you people" gave props to Bruce.

There were a total (at the time) of 8 negative or less than praiseworthy comments made about Bruce in the thread. ONLY ONE of those comments was by someone from SU. But yet, you target SU for "bad-mouthing" Bruce? The person who busted on Bruce first wasn't even from SU.

As far as "if Gram wasn't in the SWAC"...this, that, and the other...the door is always open for Gram to leave when they are ready. Is Gram still trying to step up to the "big division"? Since y'all get so much attention, maybe one of the "major" programs/conferences will extend an invite. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think that "all of us" covet the football program at Gram.

Now, given all of that, I would like to extend congrats to Bruce for signing on as a free agent with my favorite team other than the falcons; the saints!! I hope he does well. We know he has put up some big numbers in college and hopefully, he has similar success at the pro level.

:lecture:

Back