Bruce Eugene released from Saints

Yeah....GR thinks he did get his degree in Leisure Recreational Activities or something. Hell he been at Gram long enough to have a doctorate.

Get Ready said:
Yeah....GR thinks he did get his degree in Leisure Recreational Activities or something. Hell he been at Xram long enough to have a doctorate.

Get Ready did Robert Kent graduate? I heard he's a shoe shine boy down on Lynch Street. I think Bruce is in grad school, so he's still well prepared for life after sports. I can't say the same for Kent.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
buckwheat1911 said:
Get Ready did Robert Kent graduate? I heard he's a shoe shine boy down on Lynch Street. I think Bruce is in grad school, so he's still is well prepared for life after sports. I can't say the same for Kent.

Dayum!

As much as I hate to say it, being from Grambling High we had a powerhouse in Basketball...I graduated in 92. So 92 on back is what I know; and quite frankly we kicked ASS. Literally, say what you want just go in the high school gym and see the banners. We had negroes who could play the fugg out of basketball but were not on the team because they could not be coached; and were not willing to learn mechanics. Dude Michael Lyons could pull a dude out of the crowd and the kid could throw up 15.

Then the guys that played, some went on to play college ball others couldn't make it to that next level. My classmate went to play for Texas A&M on scholarship but could not pass in the classroom, another went to Southern on scholarship but kicked it too much; both of their college careers were over and one was working on his undergrad and I a Grad Assistant teaching him. Only one GHS player went on to play pro basketball and that was Gerald Honeycutt class of 93, and he didn't play long.

The point I'm making is that you could be a STAR on one level, but to make it to that next level you need 100 times what you had before. Bruce in my opinion put his best foot foward but he didn't put his heart in to it. You have to want it want it if you know what I mean. Mechanics, self discipline, and an awareness of what is required is what gets you to the other level.

FYI, Bruce is half way finished with a Master's degree, one of the reasons why he went back to Grambling.

buckwheat1911 said:
Get Ready did Robert Kent graduate? I heard he's a shoe shine boy down on Lynch Street. I think Bruce is in grad school, so he's still is well prepared for life after sports. I can't say the same for Kent.
Yall take things so personal on a mesage board. GR thinks Kent was an Engineering or some kind of rocket science major or something. But thats neither here nor there for GR. The fact is Bruce was a Recreational Studies major or Playground major or something like that. If not, prove me wrong.

It is what it is.

Bruce is in grad school? DID HE HAVE A DAMN CHOICE? Hell he been there 7 years. But then again, it does take yall a little longer to learn, sooooo...

oh well...

Get Ready said:
Yall take things so personal on a mesage board. GR thinks Kent was an Engineering or some kind of rocket science major or something. But thats neither here nor there for GR. The fact is Bruce was a Recreational Studies major or Playground major or something like that. If not, prove me wrong.

It is what it is.

Bruce is in grad school? DID HE HAVE A DAMN CHOICE? Hell he been there 7 years. But then again, it does take yall a little longer to learn, sooooo...

oh well...

GR it's sad that you even make a comment about people taking stuff personal when you inspired the SMACK BOARD. Come on dude every post you make you cracking on someone so you can't even go there.

Who cares what major they had, **** as long as they got an education.

The Only reason the Saints gave Bruce a try-out was to see how disciplined or dedicated he is. They didn't want ot see his arm strength, but how much weight he would lose. Then maybe, he would be given an opprotunity to throw.

Blacknbengal said:
So are you saying that since Brugene was sitting back there (in shotgun formation) throwing up haymakers that that may have something to do with him not being drafted?

:shame: on u BB that is not what I am saying at all.

well, it's all on bruce now. what happens from here on out only he can determine. you don't have to be a 2nd round draft pick to make it in the nfl (though it helps). delhomme wasn't drafted but somehow has made it and made it to a pro bowl. so it's not over until eugene says it over. the question is.....how much does he want it? he has the brain power and the physical tools. does he have the desire to do what it takes to lose the weight, correct the mechanics and play where and whenever he can until he can get to the nfl? the only thing stnding between him and the nfl is .....him. he has to prepare like he's an autistic kid in upstate new york hoping that he can get in just one game....and drop 22 and hit 6 3pts....by the way has gsu offered this kid yet? yall know someones gotta shoot for the departed Rush. just kidding.

This dude has got to be feeling miserable after being dumped by perhaps the worst franchise in the NFL.

Sting said:
This dude has got to be feeling miserable after being dumped by perhaps the worst franchise in the NFL.
:lol:

Sting, you got that right. When a team like the Aints dont want you, you must really feel unwanted cause they take anybody.

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
As much as I hate to say it, being from Grambling High we had a powerhouse in Basketball...I graduated in 92. So 92 on back is what I know; and quite frankly we kicked ASS. Literally, say what you want just go in the high school gym and see the banners. We had negroes who could play the fugg out of basketball but were not on the team because they could not be coached; and were not willing to learn mechanics. Dude Michael Lyons could pull a dude out of the crowd and the kid could throw up 15.

Then the guys that played, some went on to play college ball others couldn't make it to that next level. My classmate went to play for Texas A&M on scholarship but could not pass in the classroom, another went to Southern on scholarship but kicked it too much; both of their college careers were over and one was working on his undergrad and I a Grad Assistant teaching him. Only one GHS player went on to play pro basketball and that was Gerald Honeycutt class of 93, and he didn't play long.

The point I'm making is that you could be a STAR on one level, but to make it to that next level you need 100 times what you had before. Bruce in my opinion put his best foot foward but he didn't put his heart in to it. You have to want it want it if you know what I mean. Mechanics, self discipline, and an awareness of what is required is what gets you to the other level.

That was a interesting story and some very good points.

At 6 foot, you do not have alot of room for extra weight. He shouldn't really weigh more than 220 lbs. Maybe quarterbacking wasn't for him. Could he play anything else?

BigBoi1919 said:
SOMEBODY SHOULD TOLD HIM NOT TO SIGN WITH SAINTS. HE SHOULD HAVE KNOW THAT HE WASN'T GOIN TO PLAY FOR THE SAINTS.HE SHOULD DO NOW IS GO TO NFL EUROPE A PLAY A SEASON OR TWO AND LOSE SOME MORE WEIGHT AND PUT UP SOME IMPRESSIVE NUMBERS OVERTHERE AND THEN COME BACK INTO THE LEAGUE WITH A VENGENACE
:topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: I know we all make a few errors with our grammar but, who in the hell was this posters grammar instructor and has the English department at his/her schoool been condemned.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
enswaclopedia said:
:topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: :topic: I know we all make a few errors with our grammar but, who in the hell was this posters grammar instructor and has the English department at his/her schoool been condemned.

BigBoi1919 is really Get Ready!

Get Ready said:

It is what it is.

oh well...

Get Ready, .

Actually if Bruce was on the Falcons, he would probably be the best QB on the team since they have a punt returner playing QB.

Bruce would probably be best served if he gets his masters degree and begin to look at coaching opportunities.I hope he gets a break in the CFL or somewhere.

JR said:
Come on MB. You can't use the GM aint in Minnesota deal. T Jackson was a Brad Childress pick. And it was Brad Childress and others who ran that GM Foley arse out of Minnesota. He lied on his resume and was obnoxious around the Vikings front office. So Childress went to owner Ziggy and got him fired. Childress has final player personnel say just like his old boss Andy Reid has in Philly. As a matter of fact Foley is sueing them over that saying Childress conspired to get him out of here. So make no mistake not only were the Vikings enamored with Jackson so was other teams. Jackson was going to get drafted no matter what. That kid can run, throw, and he also has some other intangibles that I didn't see Bruce have. Bruce was a great college Qb that is very football smart. But his athletic ability not to mention he has a repaired knee he is putting those 300lbs on determined his fate.

That shows a lack of discipline when they realize he has had 6 years to control his weight. Doug and Spears tried to tell him. He should have had time to do nothing but work out at Grambling since he was a 6th year Sr. How many classes could he have had at that point. Sean Payton is a Bill Parcells guy and you know as a player that he aint playing and you need to be ready to go with a coach like that. I wish him luck and hope he gets the message that he needs to weigh less than 250. Even Daunte Culpepper has lost some weight since his injury and will not play at that 250-260 range and he is almost 6'5. Got to take care of your body.

I agree and was not trying to knock Jackson... rooting for him to do well. I thnk he was (and is) a good qb. Very impressive athletically...but as a passer and college qb, Bruce was better. What I agree with is that he has no one to blame but himself for allowing his weight to be so out of control during his playing days.

I know genetics has something to do with some of his size, but the bottom line is the dude simply ate too much. But I ain't gonna knock what he did while in the SWAC...dominate!

It amazes me that after all these years and examples of record setting QBs (Kent, Kennedy, etc...) not making it in the NFL, we still act amazed that Eugene got cut. Not only does the NFL not give a damn about stats in the SWAC, they don't care about stats anywhere. Ask them QBs that's been lighting it up at Texas Tech and Hawaii these last few years. Ask Jay Cutler or Brody Croyle how the hell they got drafted when they barely threw for any yards for their teams. It's all about what type of system you played in, physical attributes and mechanics.

If that kid arrived at mini-camp at 255 lbs and gained weight, he should have been cut and NEEDED to be cut. He didn't wanna be there. And when did he get up to 300 lbs.??? I coulda sworn he wasn't THAT big during the season. Why would he allow himself to balloon like that knowing what was at stake??? He's his own worst enemy right now.

Robber said:
It amazes me that after all these years and examples of record setting QBs (Kent, Kennedy, etc...) not making it in the NFL, we still act amazed that Eugene got cut. Not only does the NFL not give a damn about stats in the SWAC, they don't care about stats anywhere. Ask them QBs that's been lighting it up at Texas Tech and Hawaii these last few years. Ask Jay Cutler or Brody Croyle how the hell they got drafted when they barely threw for any yards for their teams. It's all about what type of system you played in, physical attributes and mechanics.

If that kid arrived at mini-camp at 255 lbs and gained weight, he should have been cut and NEEDED to be cut. He didn't wanna be there. And when did he get up to 300 lbs.??? I coulda sworn he wasn't THAT big during the season. Why would he allow himself to balloon like that knowing what was at stake??? He's his own worst enemy right now.

I can agree with everything you said but after seeing "Season of the Tiger", I was thinking that he was 300 lbs at the most. I guess it's true that TV does on pounds.

Back