Bruce Eugene released from Saints

It seems as if he's not taking this weight issue very serious. He had 6 years at Grambling to get the weight off and he never did. He deserves to be cut. If this isn't motivation enough for him to get rid of the weight then he doesen't deserve another shot.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
In the words of Dave Chapell - "Tough break ni99a".

:lol:

The Icon right????????? :lol:

I was really pulling for BEugene. That weight issue coupled w/ his not getting the reps he felt he needed did him in. He should've been LIVING in the weight rooms @ GSU and really watching his diet from Dec '05 forward. This is (was) his future.

Hope he gets another shot w/ another squad and hope he gets that weight issue resolved. :tup:

Get Ready said:
Any of you guys still want to have the whose better (Jackson or Eugene) debate?

Daaaayum...ouch!!!!!: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Some of us knew...alllllll ready!:shh:

Get Ready said:
I have no issue at all with debating who's a better quarterback. That is, unless you want to use, as criteria, who was drafted in the NFL and who wasn't or who was cut and who was not. I've seen both play and I feel that Bruce is the better overall quarterback.

GramFan said:
I have no issue at all with debating who's a better quarterback. That is, unless you want to use, as criteria, who was drafted in the NFL and who wasn't or who was cut and who was not. I've seen both play and I feel that Bruce is the better overall quarterback.

Take off the blinders........

Anonymous said:
This is the way professional sports work... Just ask Steve McNair...

Steve McNair........Bi* Bruce......C'mon :rolleyes:

Ole blue told y'all he didn't stand a chance as a snowball in h@ll to make the Saints roster.

Get Ready said:

Dude be real... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Jackson is good, but not a lot of folk shared the GM's vision that he was a 2nd round pick. That GM is no longer in Minnesota. Just because Bruce was released doesn't mean he's not as good as others. He never even got a chance...why? Because the Coach at New Orleans had veterans in camp and because he didn't like Bruce's body dimensions. Notice that he didn't even get any reps... you mean to tell me a guy with Bruce's arm and stats doesn't deserve a chance to make some throws in live competition.

He will have to do an apprenticeship somewhere but he has the tools to make it in the NFL. But he's gonna need two things... an opportunity with the right team, and committment to keep his weight off. His ability to read defenses is something that's also to his credit...(resisting temptation to comment on Kent's lack of same).

SOMEBODY SHOULD TOLD HIM NOT TO SIGN WITH SAINTS. HE SHOULD HAVE KNOW THAT HE WASN'T GOIN TO PLAY FOR THE SAINTS.HE SHOULD DO NOW IS GO TO NFL EUROPE A PLAY A SEASON OR TWO AND LOSE SOME MORE WEIGHT AND PUT UP SOME IMPRESSIVE NUMBERS OVERTHERE AND THEN COME BACK INTO THE LEAGUE WITH A VENGENACE

MikeBigg said:
Dude be real... beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Jackson is good, but not a lot of folk shared the GM's vision that he was a 2nd round pick. That GM is no longer in Minnesota. Just because Bruce was released doesn't mean he's not as good as others. He never even got a chance...why? Because the Coach at New Orleans had veterans in camp and because he didn't like Bruce's body dimensions. Notice that he didn't even get any reps... you mean to tell me a guy with Bruce's arm and stats doesn't deserve a chance to make some throws in live competition.

He will have to do an apprenticeship somewhere but he has the tools to make it in the NFL. But he's gonna need two things... an opportunity with the right team, and committment to keep his weight off. His ability to read defenses is something that's also to his credit...(resisting temptation to comment on Kent's lack of same).

Dude....you refuse to listen to reason from an unbiased bystander that happens to be a serious football fan and is ONLY interested in the truth. I pointed out a long time ago that Jackson was a better QB. Now even the white folks have spoken and you still want to fight this battle.

Actually, Bruce aint even in the same league with Jackson. Jacksons arm was just as strong, he was taller, faster, and he played in a pro style offense. The pros dont have to spend years trying to uncoon him.

Furthermore, you guys keep talking about bruces stats. The pros couldnt care less about Bruces stats playing in the SWAC. Hell the game against A&M in the SCG probably hurt his draft chances. Those passes he threw against A&M would have been picked off against respectable college talent. As a senior he still threw the ball off his back foot.

Face it, the guy had a bunch of bad habits that he refused to overcome. His strong arm was probably is worst enemy. He refused to work on his form and other important parts of his game.

If I'm an NFL GM, I'd have serious doubts about taking a chance on a QB that's under 6'0, has a weight problem and doesn't know how to come from under center. The weight problem would be a real concern because it shows a lack of dicipline. These teams have enough to worry about keeping the O-line and D-line in shape. Then you have to worry about the 3rd string/practice squad QB as well? It isn't worth the trouble. Dude's arm aint that special.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
MikeBigg said:

Come on MB. You can't use the GM aint in Minnesota deal. T Jackson was a Brad Childress pick. And it was Brad Childress and others who ran that GM Foley arse out of Minnesota. He lied on his resume and was obnoxious around the Vikings front office. So Childress went to owner Ziggy and got him fired. Childress has final player personnel say just like his old boss Andy Reid has in Philly. As a matter of fact Foley is sueing them over that saying Childress conspired to get him out of here. So make no mistake not only were the Vikings enamored with Jackson so was other teams. Jackson was going to get drafted no matter what. That kid can run, throw, and he also has some other intangibles that I didn't see Bruce have. Bruce was a great college Qb that is very football smart. But his athletic ability not to mention he has a repaired knee he is putting those 300lbs on determined his fate.

That shows a lack of discipline when they realize he has had 6 years to control his weight. Doug and Spears tried to tell him. He should have had time to do nothing but work out at Grambling since he was a 6th year Sr. How many classes could he have had at that point. Sean Payton is a Bill Parcells guy and you know as a player that he aint playing and you need to be ready to go with a coach like that. I wish him luck and hope he gets the message that he needs to weigh less than 250. Even Daunte Culpepper has lost some weight since his injury and will not play at that 250-260 range and he is almost 6'5. Got to take care of your body.

Get Ready said:
Dude....you refuse to listen to reason from an unbiased bystander that happens to be a serious football fan and is ONLY interested in the truth. I pointed out a long time ago that Jackson was a better QB. Now even the white folks have spoken and you still want to fight this battle.

Actually, Bruce aint even in the same league with Jackson. Jacksons arm was just as strong, he was taller, faster, and he played in a pro style offense. The pros dont have to spend years trying to uncoon him.

Furthermore, you guys keep talking about bruces stats. The pros couldnt care less about Bruces stats playing in the SWAC. Hell the game against A&M in the SCG probably hurt his draft chances. Those passes he threw against A&M would have been picked off against respectable college talent. As a senior he still threw the ball off his back foot.

Face it, the guy had a bunch of bad habits that he refused to overcome. His strong arm was probably is worst enemy. He refused to work on his form and other important parts of his game.

I agree with you I watch Eugene and Jackson play and I think that Eugene has the ability to play in the league. He just have to get into the right system and get his weight down. There is no way with his height he can be as big as he is. He has some bad habits he need to work on. I also agree that Jackson played in a pro style offense which helps him tremendously. You got to remember Satellite put a lot of numbers up in SWAC also, and by the way I think back then there was more talent, and he didnt do spit. Sometimes a system you play in can kill you. IMHO

First let me say I like Big Bruce, so Gram fans don't get unnerved at my comments, but the truth of the matter is I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did with the Saints. Bruce was a great SWAC quarterback, nothing more. I know looking at stats has a way at blinding folk, but after the great Andre Ware, and David Klingler experiment didn't work in the pro's, a quarterback had to have more than great stats, and Bruce didn't.

He couldn't control his weight, he's short, and outside of the SWAC he did very little. He had one decent game against McNeese, but his first game against McNeese he got pulled, against Nicholls he got pulled, and the games against a very beatable San Jose St team, and Washington State he couldn't lead them to scoring drives.

Also, when every other draft prospect in America was trying to improve their draft status, by going to collegiate all star games, and what have you, Bruce was working on getting his weight down. Outside of the combine's, he didn't get too many looks other than what scouts saw of him on film.

Also, a lot y'all think it's real easy to get pro tryout's, or that he could've just signed with any team in the league, man wake up. Who really knows how many teams wanted to give Bruce a tryout, the Saints COULD'VE been one of, if not his only option. Just be thankful he got a tryout, because every qb doesn't get that chance, especially if they've hovered around 270 - 300lbs their entire collegiate career, and they're barely 6'0 tall.

Again I like Bruce, and I hope he gets his weight under control, but I really don't see a career in the NFL for him as a quarterback. He's never taken his weight seriously, and maybe he's one of those guys that's just going to be big, I know a lot people who work, and work, and work, but can't keep that weight down. I think it's time for him to seriously look at being a fullback. He understands blocking schemes, he has good size, and quick feet, and soft enough hands to catch flares out of the backfield.

NICE

Croft84 said:
Sometimes a system you play in can kill you. IMHO
So are you saying that since Brugene was sitting back there (in shotgun formation) throwing up haymakers that that may have something to do with him not being drafted?

MikeBigg said:

Come on MB, take the blinders off man, you know you need more than just a strong arm to make it in the NFL pottna. So don't knock TJ for Bruce's shortcomings. You know how the NFL draft works, for Minnesota to even trade up to get Jackson, word had gotten around that somebody else was getting ready to take him, and Minnesota pulled the trigger on the trade to get him, because more than likely he wouldn't have been there when they picked again. So say what you will about Minnesota's GM, somebody other than the Vikings had interest in Jackson, and he would've been gone no matter what.

In a perfect world Bruce would've been given an opportunity to prove himself against live competiton, but the truth of the matter is, he was a long shot, just like any other late round draft pick, or undrafted free agent. Those guys really have to show their worth in the short time they have in NFL camps, especially the undrafted guys, and Bruce is no exception.

NICE

D-NICE said:
Also, when every other draft prospect in America was trying to improve their draft status, by going to collegiate all star games, and what have you, Bruce was working on getting his weight down. Outside of the combine's, he didn't get too many looks other than what scouts saw of him on film.
You've said alot right there. What Bruce did against other collegiate players? Nothing, cause he didnt go.

D-NICE said:
First let me say I like Big Bruce, so Gram fans don't get unnerved at my comments, but the truth of the matter is I'm surprised he lasted as long as he did with the Saints. Bruce was a great SWAC quarterback, nothing more. I know looking at stats has a way at blinding folk, but after the great Andre Ware, and David Klingler experiment didn't work in the pro's, a quarterback had to have more than great stats, and Bruce didn't.

He couldn't control his weight, he's short, and outside of the SWAC he did very little. He had one decent game against McNeese, but his first game against McNeese he got pulled, against Nicholls he got pulled, and the games against a very beatable San Jose St team, and Washington State he couldn't lead them to scoring drives.

Also, a lot y'all think it's real easy to get pro tryout's, or that he could've just signed with any team in the league, man wake up. Who really knows how many teams wanted to give Bruce a tryout, the Saints COULD'VE been one of, if not his only option. Just be thankful he got a tryout, because every qb doesn't get that chance, especially if they've hovered around 270 - 300lbs their entire collegiate career, and they're barely 6'0 tall.

Again I like Bruce, and I hope he gets his weight under control, but I really don't see a career in the NFL for him as a quarterback. He's never taken his weight seriously, and maybe he's one of those guys that's just going to be big, I know a lot people who work, and work, and work, but can't keep that weight down. I think it's time for him to seriously look at being a fullback. He understands blocking schemes, he has good size, and quick feet, and soft enough hands to catch flares out of the backfield.

NICE

Y'all got to admit (if you saw his combine workouts on the NFL channel) he looked horrible. He was slow, his passes missed the mark 60% of the time (I'm talking about missing the target). Then he resorted to the arching floaters that the receivers ended up waiting 1 to 3 seconds to get there. Those quick sideline routes that he threw so well while at Gram had no pop and just were not there and did not happen.

Listen, most every QB can throw the bomb and let a wide receiver run under it, however, the NFL teams are looking for Qb that posess quickness, and can throw the quick popping sideline route, the very low quick pass to the flat, and the hot shot across the middle......................Bruce's NFL combine workout jsut had no energy. Somewhere I read where someone posted that the reason the Saints gave him a tryout was because of Doug Williams interceding on his behalf. Bruce looked as though he had no energy????

Bruce Eugene was the better college quarterback, but the college game is completely different from the pros and T. Jackson would make a better pro because he is the better athlete. He has a stronger arm. He also has better speed and size. This is not to say Eugene wouldn't make a good NFL quarterback. But the NFL no longer has time to mold a young quarterback especially when they don't have the desired weight or height they are looking for. I was just hoping the Saints would send Eugene to NFL Europe to prove himself, but that didn't happen and now he can only hope another team will pick him up or it's off to the CFL, Arena, Arena2, Indoor football league or a high school coaching job. No smack. That's just life.

JR said:
make no mistake not only were the Vikings enamored with Jackson so was other teams. Jackson was going to get drafted no matter what. That kid can run, throw, and he also has some other intangibles that I didn't see Bruce have.
That shows a lack of discipline when they realize he has had 6 years to control his weight. Doug and Spears tried to tell him. He should have had time to do nothing but work out at Grambling since he was a 6th year Sr. How many classes could he have had at that point.

The kid had 6 yrs. to get the weight issue resolved and improve his mechanics.
He basically ate himself out of pro career, literally saying "f'em" on that BET show to those who had concerns. Not smart. His fate was sealed at that point. Spears preached, got him a nutrionist, even his mom was on him. All that and he's still ballooning up says a lot. That the Saints pick him as an undrafted free agent and dropped him so quickly does also, no need to go there. Hopefully, he has his degree and will do something with it or it's h.s. coaching. Is there an indoor league team in La.? If not, he might want to take a look at the Maulers.
http://www.montgomerymaulers.com/

Back