Are we getting our money worth in the SWAC for coaches?

I think that is an assumption more than a reality. Just because we are HBCU fans/supporters/enthusiast and have platforms to discuss internal thoughts and workings of our athletic departments doesn't mean others are without issues.

A white coach employed at a DII PWI penned this in a letter to other coaches upon departing for another opportunity:

In that letter, he laid out some of the stark realities of being the head coach at the small, private Division II program located in east Tennessee.
Among the challenges he shares are having to sleep on couches in recruiting and only recruiting in areas where your coaches live to so they can save money, sharing the indoor facility with 24 other sports, and having to hire coaches 30 or younger because of the low salaries available. Those coaches will also have to wear multiple hats like painting the fields, helping with equipment and being an academic advisor to their players.

On a positive note, Odom shares that the next head coach will be set up with more resources and competitive scholarship packages, and raves about the leadership at the school, despite the many challenges.

I believe in having standards/ expectations, but sometimes HBCU'S & the culture in general it seems judge ourselves way more harshly . I addressed the " realities" in another post about having things such as a year round nutrition table. Vast majority of G5 programs don't have that. HBCU administrations have a built in argument when they are questioned if they are competent or not......"How much money did you donate ? "

This is a convoluted question. Budgets are set annually and should not be confused with capital expenditures.
Sooo. Capital expenditures are not budgetary line items?
Coaching salaries are typically supplemented via private sources.
Not at TX HBCU's. Shiddd, the more you raise privately the less the State wants to give. The state of Texas likes to play hide and seek with our funding. That's what the law suits were about where pv & tsu won a big payout.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
here are well in excess of 3,240+ public & private HSs in texas. Every single one of them has a kicker, every year. What's the problem? Recruiting talented and gifted INTELLIGENT students?
Below, is a direct quote that you made in the "2023-2024 Tranfer Portal VI" thread. Post #23. In my opinion, this is part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, it is not the only problem.

"If I were a talented 18 y/o right now this very second, I would EASILY choose hcu over PVAMU AND sTu. Easily, mostly based on the unqualified and inept "coaching" at sTu AND PVAMU."

Talented athletes can make an inept coach look like a genius. But if you don't have the talent, well........

Sooo. Capital expenditures are not budgetary line items?

Not at TX HBCU's. Shiddd, the more you raise privately the less the State wants to give. The state of Texas likes to play hide and seek with our funding. That's what the law suits were about where pv & tsu won a big payout.
Not to hijack the thread , but this is the reason I've reconsidered making Su & Grambling beneficiaries ( maybe 10% )to my 401k/ insurance/ estate . I've thought about Private & relatively well run HBCU'S may be a better choice.

Below, is a direct quote that you made in the "2023-2024 Tranfer Portal VI" thread. Post #23. In my opinion, this is part of the problem. Don't get me wrong, it is not the only problem.

"If I were a talented 18 y/o right now this very second, I would EASILY choose hcu over PVAMU AND sTu. Easily, mostly based on the unqualified and inept "coaching" at sTu AND PVAMU."

Talented athletes can make an inept coach look like a genius. But if you don't have the talent, well........
A lot of these young men aren't dumb. We collectively have the wrong folk in leadership positions.

And you are right. A talented thoroughbred can make a trainer look remarkably genius when its been properly trained and bred to perform at the highest level. We have leadership positions recruiting donkeys and mules and expecting them to compete w/ thoroughbreds when tasked. So, who does the recruiting? Uncompensated alums? lol 😂

Not to hijack the thread , but this is the reason I've reconsidered making Su & Grambling beneficiaries ( maybe 10% )to my 401k/ insurance/ estate . I've thought about Private & relatively well run HBCU'S may be a better choice.
Welcome to the club. My allegiance has me at 80% all assets pro-PV exclusively but it irks my soul because we have mentally slow dummies in leadership positions. I advidly call the dummies dumb because I am a summa grad thrice over and it repulses me to be near anyone "slow." (c. Dr F Frazier) I'm bigoted & prejudiced as hell because I demand and expect the best of the best, as it once was.

I’m guess I’m still trying to understand how other stuff can still affect bad coaching decisions on gameday. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️🤷🏽‍♂️

I’m sure there’s a connection between the cheese being cold at the concession stands impacting our coaches in game decisions. I must be watching the wrong conferences lol. At some point we gotta get better and do better !!!!

Swac coaches are getting more Money than most FCS conferences and we couldn’t or wouldn’t crack the top 5 of their conferences. It’s makes no sense.

I'm sure many of you have seen this already. But explain to me if this is true, how exactly does a component administrator seriously consider raising the salary of anyone?

1000007692.jpg
Alcorn got it right. They told McNair this is what we can pay. Wha'cha gone do Playa? Even though McNair is a very good coach, the administration put the program first.

Last edited:
Through the last umteen years, a lot of SWAC schools have simply settled.

Lack of accurate and substantial vetting, simply promoting a "coach in wait" tomfoolery, et al ignorance seems to cause a lot of the current issues we see.

Some of the ridiculous playcalling, offensive "offensive" plays, ridiculous defenses, et al ignorance are a direct result of hideous "coaching" and nil leadership.

PV and sTu folk in particular should be beyond pissed as a local hcu, which started football in the year 2013, consistently outpaces, outrecruits, and outperforms both schools on the football gridiron AND they have the jr HS football venue and double-wide trailer weightroom/dressing room lol. Their current coaching staff is beyond any football coaching staff combined that PV and sTu could pretend to assemble right now, this very second.

We don't even need to look at recent start ups in HCU and Incarnate Word. PV and TSU were DI-AA/FCS back when Texas State and Sam Houston were still playing DII and both of those programs have left us in the dust. I expect the same from Tarleton State, A&M-Commerce, and ACU (who's clearly already passed us by).

We don't even need to look at recent start ups in HCU and Incarnate Word. PV and TSU were DI-AA/FCS back when Texas State and Sam Houston were still playing DII and both of those programs have left us in the dust. I expect the same from Tarleton State, A&M-Commerce, and ACU (who's clearly already passed us by).
Truth.

I'm curious now and I'd like to ask a question from another angle. Do we believe these coaches would win if they landed at some of the schools listed with less pay but more infrastructure and support? Are these issues SWAC specific?

Depends on what school they go to.

Because what you deal with at one state is NOT the same thing you deal with at say another.

Army Black Knights look at how bad those teams are. You the coach and you are at the mercy of how that school handles recruiting.
Same with SMU. Same with Binghamton University.

Mike Davis at Detroit Mercy. 4 losing seasons at Indiana, Texas Southern and UAB. What is he doing at Mercy? If he gets the ax now that would be the first time he left a school with less than 100 wins. He is still the last UAB coach to lead that team to postseason 4 straight years since 2006.

Also who are those school recruiting? South Dakota State ranked 153 in signing players. Stanford was ranked 44. How bad was Stanford this year?

How many in state players have Depaul lost? How good are you at getting local talent?

Who are you playing? Deon faced 6 ranked teams Colorado. Not one HBCU unlike at Jackson State when he faced only ONE non HBCU. Next year he's facing the Big 12. GOOD LUCK.

We have seen many coaches go to other schools and crash for reasons beyond coaching.

Univ. TX San Antonio started up their program in 2011. I don't think people fully understand how big college football is in texas. There are 25 NCAA Division 1 and 13 Division 2 colleges across the state of Texas.

True, but the impact of those enrollment numbers/student athletic fees can't be overlooked when considering the elevation of Sam or T State's program.

Last edited:
True, but the impact of those enrollment numbers/student athletic fees can't be overlooked when considering the elevation Sam or T State's program.
When acu and southwest texas state were d2, they owned PV football, which was allegedly at the i-aa level. Owned. PV never got a single victory over the d2s. shsu is up 2-1 over PV w/ a HC whose salary was at the same level as PV's (at that time).

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
When acu and southwest texas state were d2, they owned PV football, which was allegedly at the i-aa level. Owned. PV never got a single victory over the d2s. shsu is up 2-1 over PV w/ a HC whose salary was at the same level as PV's (at that time).
I wonder if PV made the same mistake my TSU did. Beginning with the year 1970, some not so smart administrators thought it was a good thing to move from NAIA to DII to then DIAA, all within a seven year period, without any significant increase in funding or scholarships during the entire time. Even if the reason was because we were moving along with the SWAC it was still bad business considering how hostile the state was towards HBCUs in the 70s.

As you said, those PWIs were DII back then, but they were also likely better funded and thereby legit DII programs while my Texas Southern pretended to be DIAA/FCS for the most part, and should have only moved up divisions in accordance with good business sense.

Last edited:
Univ. TX San Antonio started up their program in 2011. I don't think people fully understand how big college football is in texas. There are 25 NCAA Division 1 and 13 Division 2 colleges across the state of Texas.

Right. As big as high school football is in Texas, people shouldn't be surprised that it carries over to the college ranks

And none of those schools face what TxSU and PV as far as funding, etc.

I wonder if PV made the same mistake my TSU did. Beginning with the year 1970, some not so smart administrators thought it was a good thing to move from NAIA to DII to then DIAA, all within a seven year period, without any significant increase in funding or scholarships during the entire time. Even if the reason was because we were moving along with the SWAC it was still bad business considering how hostile the state was towards HBCUs in the 70s.

As you said, those PWIs were DII back then, but they were also likely better funded and thereby legit DII programs while my Texas Southern pretended to be DIAA/FCS for the most part, and should have only moved up divisions in accordance with good business sense.
PV was a then i-aa in name only. After a bevy of unqualified hires and a recruiting strategy that is akin to going to a park w/ a basketball court and asking who got next lol, the football program was in shambles. PV relied heavily on word of mouth of its alums to secure talented young men for the gridiron. I came during the Hayman years and I lmao'd at how putridly poor their "program" was ran. The same skinny little boys I saw come in w/ me were the same skinny little boys I visibly saw my senior yr. There was absolutely ZERO improvement as a program, other than a few exceptions who took it upon themselves to exercise their drive and excel individually (Lomax, Brow, and a few others).

PV didn't have a single clue about athletics, proper recruiting, and athletic administration during that time. I'm sure the period post assimilation, the ignorance was more highly evident as those PBHSs began to move their state championship runs away and out of the PVIL towards the tx uil.

Last edited:
We can talk money all day but what about player development? Isn't the coaches job to ensure player development? Weight room training? Discipline? Many of teams penalties come from not being discipline! How does funding hurt those? Isn't that the coaches job?

(I posted this in our private forum earlier this month)

The difference between us and other programs is that we pay our coaches more because our ADs and presidents know HBCU coaches have to work with less. And we expect them to do more with LESS.

The coach at South Dakota State makes $306,000. The coach at Montana State makes $214,000. The coach at Idaho makes $210,000. All of those teams are nationally ranked and would beat the holy dog shit out of any HBCU that played against them.

The difference between those coaches and our coaches isn't just about facilities. It's about the ENTIRE athletic program. Those schools don't ask their coaches to go out and find money for the program (like we did with Hue Jackson). Those coaches don't have to worry about having qualified individuals working in the athletic department of compliance or academic success (unlike Hampton or FAMU). Those coaches don't have to worry about having a proper training staff (unlike Alcorn). Those coaches don't have to worry about having enough money to go on the road to recruit players or getting reimbursed for their travel expenses. Those coaches don't have to worry about their players getting proper nutrition (unlike our athletes). Both Fobbs and Jackson have said that if there were just ONE thing they could have more than anything for the program, it would be better nutrition for the student-athletes. IN OTHER WORDS, the only thing those other coaches are responsible for when they are hired are wins and loses. HBCU coaches are responsible for wins, losses, and additional shit that other FCS PWI coaches don't have to worry about.

The problem isn't always that HBCU coaches can't coach. They can. The problem is that some of us want to overlook the bigger problems that aren't "sexy" because we know those problems can't be fixed overnight. And because of that, we called them "EXCUSES."
This

, but the impact of those enrollment numbers/student athletic fees can't be overlooked when considering the elevation of Sam or T State's prog
They loaded up with d2 talent rules, has access to whites and blacks without hesitation so they came in with an advantage and were better funded

It's gonna easy for UTRGV to go FBS when they have an enrollment of over 30k and charge athletic fees
That's why I don't oppose to a system if you can take full advantage of resources and funding - their growth was due to a combination of colleges closing which skyrocketed enrollment - plus under a system they can give you money for upgrades - not beg the state

Correct. They are two different things with two different purposes.
Again - pay coaches more but what about using that mentality for support staffs?

I'm sure many of you have seen this already. But explain to me if this is true, how exactly does a component administrator seriously consider raising the salary of anyone?

View attachment 18852
Alcorn got it right. They told McNair this is what we can pay. Wha'cha gone do Playa? Even though McNair is a very good coach, the administration put the program first.
Th deficit should be larger considering the compliance personnel she had to bring in. We gonna be alright…

Back