SU's Tillery could become SWAC career rushing leader

They didn't respect him, don't know why, but they didn't. If they did, they wouldn't be so openly talking about him. Food for thought. Chad was there Stumps last season. When Stump got fired, Chad took over the play calling. We still weren't able to run the ball that year. It wasn't until we hired Berry that next season when we were able to run. Chad is a great OC, except when he faced Alcorn lol. I'm taking the wait and see approach with Berry.
Where's your evidence of them not respecting him? He had one of the best offenses in the SWAC last year didn't he? It's a shame you folks are trying to take credit away from Germany and give it to Berry all because he abandoned su for JSU. That just ain't right.

It depends on the quality of play by su's QB. If the QB's not effective, then I say no.
Can opposing defenses stack the box and take away the run, thus forcing su to pass the ball if the QB can't accurately pass? More passes mean fewer run attempts.
As we know, anything can happen in the SWAC, but with Germany's absence as lead OC, it will be difficult for Tillery to catch Destry.
If???? Howard had one of the best completion percentages in the league. With Berry still here, the OL will still give him time to survey the field and find receivers, and the running threat of Tillery opens up the field even more. You might have a point if we had a freshman QB, but you're talking about a 2-yr starter coming into his junior season. Bottomline, everyone knows everything starts in the trenches for both the pass and run game. An OC looks much better when his OL opens up holes for the RBs and gives the QB time to find open receivers.

Where's your evidence of them not respecting him? He had one of the best offenses in the SWAC last year didn't he? It's a shame you folks are trying to take credit away from Germany and give it to Berry all because he abandoned su for JSU. That just ain't right.
I personally know players and I follow a lot of them on social media. They openly criticized him lol.

I personally know players and I follow a lot of them on social media. They openly criticized him lol.
But they still performed in spite of their complaining wouldn't you say? Perhaps he may not even make a difference, but changing an OC who had a successful system is no small thing.
I sure hope he can do at JSU what he did at su.

When did this thread turn into a referendum on Chad Germany?
Come on Journalist, this is still connected to Tillery due to the fact that his OC, the one in charge of playcalling, is gone. Of course that's going to effect him in some form or fashion. This is not apples and oranges and you know how su folks can and will complain when the play-calling stinks. I've seen it first hand.:snicker:

Last edited:
su folks are ignoring the huge elephants in the room, both on offense and defense. su lost their better and truest offensive coordinator and have a totally new defensive scheme which they have NO hint of what to expect.

Boy if you believe this....make that 4 in a row against jsu

JayRob, no joke players really didn't like Germany! Southern offense is predicated through the run and I'm glad Berry is the sole coordinator we need a guy who can preach balance and ball control and discipline (turnovers)because our offense lacked that last year. I'm sure the defense will be better and with the backs we brought in this offseason even when Tillery leave we will be in VERY good hands.

But they still performed in spite of their complaining wouldn't you say? Perhaps he may not even make a difference, but changing an OC who had a successful system is no small thing.
I sure hope he can do at JSU what he did at su.
Chad will do great. He will have Ivy balling.

Chad will do great. He will have Ivy balling.

The strength of our offense was definitely our passing game so he will be an asset there. With him at OC and our OL coach being a former running game coordinator im sure we will be just as lethal on the ground.

Yall already got Tillerys replacement with profit so I don't see a drop off

The strength of our offense was definitely our passing game so he will be an asset there. With him at OC and our OL coach being a former running game coordinator im sure we will be just as lethal on the ground.

Don't forget Devonn Benn from John Curtis! Dude can ball

JayRob, no joke players really didn't like Germany! Southern offense is predicated through the run and I'm glad Berry is the sole coordinator we need a guy who can preach balance and ball control and discipline (turnovers)because our offense lacked that last year. I'm sure the defense will be better and with the backs we brought in this offseason even when Tillery leave we will be in VERY good hands.

You guys were balanced last year and were Tops in the conference with ball control. Those turnovers were about 95% fumbles and weren't a true indicator of Chad who was Co-oc and qb coach. Had yall had a bunch of interceptions and didn't have a balance offense then I could see your point. Yall RB and WR coach need to install some fumbling drills, it's more mental than anything.

Glad you brought that up. This season will be the who will replace Tillery sweepstakes. Profit, Benn from John Curtis and Mims from Evangel Christian will make things interesting in fall camp.

How are you SURE su's defense will be better?

How are you SURE su's defense will be better?

Think about it for a second... Yes Odums was the defensive coordinator but that's impossible to run a defense during the game and be a head coach. Trust me when I say the talent is there , we just didn't have a true defensive coordinator. Now our defense will have someone to answer to on the sidelines and someone who can only solely focus on defense and hold them accountable in game. With the talent we have on that side of the ball all we was missing was a coordinator.

Our defense should of been worse than what it was if you think about it. I never heard of a defense with the head coach as the coordinator. There was times where our defense would sit on the bench while the offense on the field and no one is there to prep them for the next series. That stuff matters!

So Odoms didn't know jack about coaching defense? How does anyone know that these new defensive coaches even know what they're doing? They haven't shown anyone anything right now.
But don't let us get off task with talking about "su's defense".

Why are y'all entertaining JayRob? Coach Germany didn't become a good OC until he went to Jackson State. Now he's all of a sudden the only reason why our team was good and was the only person responsible for us getting the talent we have on the team. He gets credit for all of the SU wins, but the losses where the offense disappeared falls on someone else.(Alcorn, Grambling, Northwestern State,etc.....)

Why are there questions about Odums and he defense when this thread is about Tillery?

Man, stop diverting and answer the question: Can Tillery pass Wright?

Why are there questions about Odums and he defense when this thread is about Tillery?

Man, stop diverting and answer the question: Can Tillery pass Wright?

I think he can and I hope he does just for the simple fact I wana see these lists grow with more SWAC greats. All depends on how much SU decides to use him which should be a lot seeing as to how great of a player he is. I wana see him get as many yards as possible, except against JSU of course lol.

Forgive me, but I'm not in the habit of cheering for an su player to surpass two JSU greats in all-time rushing yardage. For some odd reason, I just can't bring myself to grasp that notion. Why another JSU fan would publicly say this is beyond me. He can be great and stop at number three.

Forgive me, but I'm not in the habit of cheering for an su player to surpass two JSU greats in all-time rushing yardage. For some odd reason, I just can't bring myself to grasp that notion. Why another JSU fan would publicly say this is beyond me. He can be great and stop at number three.

Well I posted my opinion and you posted yours, bro. At the end of the day regardless if it's SU, Valley, TxSo or whoever I want the world to see the SWAC is more than just talk. I support any athlete doing great things except against JSU as I previously stated lol. If you wana get caught up in whatever that's you, but there's a bigger picture out there and I personally don't give a dam who agrees or disagrees lol.

Back