SU's Tillery could become SWAC career rushing leader

Why are there questions about Odums and he defense when this thread is about Tillery?

Man, stop diverting and answer the question: Can Tillery pass Wright?
With a name like Journalist, it's quite odd that you'd be trying to dictate the words of another poster just because you don't like what he posts.
As far as Tillery passing Wright, I don't think so for the very reason I've been saying.
Chad Germany is not around to call the plays which will allow him too.
Even with that, I'd like to see how many carries and yards per carry he's had to do it in order to catch Destry....if he can do it.

Last edited:
Well I posted my opinion and you posted yours, bro. At the end of the day regardless if it's SU, Valley, TxSo or whoever I want the world to see the SWAC is more than just talk. I support any athlete doing great things except against JSU as I previously stated lol. If you wana get caught up in whatever that's you, but there's a bigger picture out there and I personally don't give a dam who agrees or disagrees lol.
Nothing wrong with backing the dude, but publicly cheering for a rival school's player to surpass your alma mater's famous players? Interesting indeed, but you're right, it's your prerogative. Just that I've never heard an su or Alcorn fan come near to doing anything close to this "publicly". I'm just sayin.
Just look at the "likes" button and see who agreed with you....six su folks. I'm just sayin.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I stayed pulling for Bryant Lee. He was an EXCEPTIONAL talent both as a student and an athlete. He was/is a very special young man.

B Lee was one of my favorite SU QBs. Hate his teams never got to win a championship. Blame it on coaching.

I actually had quite a bit of respect for Germany. I just didn't say it for obvious reasons. Chad was the brains behind Tillery's success. Losing that man is no small token.
It will be interesting to see if the current OC will know how to make subtle adjustments and tinkerings for running game in clutch moments.
In my opinion, Germany was the genius and calming effect behind Tillery's success.

Man, how did I miss this? You really think Chad called EVERY play at SU? You know it WAS a reason that WORM brought Chennis Berry in. Interesting our run game got so much better with him on staff and so did our OL. You can't even touch our QB since Berry been around. LOL.

They may not have liked him, but it seems to me they played hard for him and seemed to respect him by the way they played. What more can a coach ask for?

The players LOVE BIG WORM. That's who they play hard for dude. Chad is quirky and rubs folks the wrong way a lot. It aint Chad the players are crazy about. Stop thinking you know something about the SU program. You will soon see at JSU what SU folks are telling you.

It depends on the quality of play by su's QB. If the QB's not effective, then I say no.
Can opposing defenses stack the box and take away the run, thus forcing su to pass the ball if the QB can't accurately pass? More passes mean fewer run attempts.
As we know, anything can happen in the SWAC, but with Germany's absence as lead OC, it will be difficult for Tillery to catch Destry.

Put some money on it. Nobody has a vaunted DL in the SWAC that stops the run with consistency. Tillery OL is as good as they come. Unless he gets injured, he will do well running the ball. BTW, you do know Austin Howard is the MOST accurate passer in the conference right? You do realize he has his two top WRs back in Quinn and Menard ? So stack the box and pick your poison.

That simply means he's a decent offensive line coach, BUT can he teach quarterbacks the intellectual nuances of the position? Can he call the right plays at the right moment? Will he be able to properly utilize Tillery and the current QB's abilities? Those are critical questions one has to ponder.

We have a QB coach. Since he is white, maybe you will give him some respect. LOL.

Nothing wrong with backing the dude, but publicly cheering for a rival school's player to surpass your alma mater's famous players? Interesting indeed, but you're right, it's your prerogative. Just that I've never heard an su or Alcorn fan come near to doing anything close to this "publicly". I'm just sayin.
Just look at the "likes" button and see who agreed with you....six su folks. I'm just sayin.

You're still not getting it lol. It's not about rivals or what I see other folks doing. It's about supporting great SWAC athletes period dude. Nothing hard to understand about that. Don't really care what folks from other schools post or say about JSU, I post what I want. Of course I'd like to see more JSU players be great and remain at number one and fill up every list of SWAC greats but we ain't the only school in the SWAC with great talent. I'm not on this board for likes so who does and doesn't like my posts isn't a big thing to me nor can I control it. Its really not that deep dude lol.

Idc if he passes Wright. As long as he does well at the next level im straight.

Jimmy Smith told Dan not to worry about breaking jsu records because he didn't, but he broke a lot of records in the NFL so that should be his focus. I don't disagree with that statement.

Bruh, why did you then start talking about Germany and the defense?

Germany, I'll give you sort of a pass on Germany and the offense.

But Odums and the defense? C'mon mane!

However, since you wanted a tale of the tape with Tillery vs. Wright ... I have sort of a tale of the tape for you.

Destry Wright (stats from NCAA archived national stats)
1997 (47th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 163 carries; 878 yards; 8 TDs; 79.81 ypg; 5.386 ypc
1998 (12th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 267 carries; 1,528 yards; 10 TDs; 138.9 ypg; 5.72 ypc
1999 (9th in FCS in rushing): 12 games; 296 carries; 1,643 yards; 12 TDs; 136.916 ypg; 5.55 ypc
CAREER: 35 games; 726 carries, 4,050 yards, 30 TDs; 115.71 yards/game; 5.578 y/carry)

Lenard Tillery (stats from NCAA player search)

2013: (84th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 185 carries; 760 yards; 9 TDs; 69.09 ypg; 4.108 ypc
2014: (26th in FCS in rushing): 13 games; 208 carries; 1,188 yards; 9 TDs; 91.38 ypg; 5.71 ypc
2015: (16th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 197 carries; 1,192 yards; 14 TDs; 108.36 ypg; 6.05 ypc
CAREER: 35 games; 590 carries; 3,140 yards; 32TDs; 87.2 yards/game; 5.32 yards/carry)

Wright had 136 more carries over his career than Tillery has so far.
Tillery has to average 82.7 yards per game to catch Wright.

Man, how did I miss this? You really think Chad called EVERY play at SU? You know it WAS a reason that WORM brought Chennis Berry in. Interesting our run game got so much better with him on staff and so did our OL. You can't even touch our QB since Berry been around. LOL.
What up JR? Nice to have you back bruh.
Any how, you'll see what I mean. So now you're giving credit to Berry and not to Germany who was there longer? How soon folks forget.

Last edited:
Put some money on it. Nobody has a vaunted DL in the SWAC that stops the run with consistency. Tillery OL is as good as they come. Unless he gets injured, he will do well running the ball. BTW, you do know Austin Howard is the MOST accurate passer in the conference right? You do realize he has his two top WRs back in Quinn and Menard ? So stack the box and pick your poison.
Who was the lead OC last year? It's amazing how folks forget. Let's see if Berry can win a title like Germany did.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Idc if he passes Wright. As long as he does well at the next level im straight.

Jimmy Smith told Dan not to worry about breaking jsu records because he didn't, but he broke a lot of records in the NFL so that should be his focus. I don't disagree with that statement.
Guess I'll have to wait until he gets to the NFL to cheer for him. I'm a bit old-school and ain't about this lovy-dovy stuff.

Bruh, why did you then start talking about Germany and the defense?

Germany, I'll give you sort of a pass on Germany and the offense.

But Odums and the defense? C'mon mane!

However, since you wanted a tale of the tape with Tillery vs. Wright ... I have sort of a tale of the tape for you.

Destry Wright (stats from NCAA archived national stats)
1997 (47th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 163 carries; 878 yards; 8 TDs; 79.81 ypg; 5.386 ypc
1998 (12th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 267 carries; 1,528 yards; 10 TDs; 138.9 ypg; 5.72 ypc
1999 (9th in FCS in rushing): 12 games; 296 carries; 1,643 yards; 12 TDs; 136.916 ypg; 5.55 ypc
CAREER: 35 games; 726 carries, 4,050 yards, 30 TDs; 115.71 yards/game; 5.578 y/carry)

Lenard Tillery (stats from NCAA player search)

2013: (84th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 185 carries; 760 yards; 9 TDs; 69.09 ypg; 4.108 ypc
2014: (26th in FCS in rushing): 13 games; 208 carries; 1,188 yards; 9 TDs; 91.38 ypg; 5.71 ypc
2015: (16th in FCS in rushing): 11 games; 197 carries; 1,192 yards; 14 TDs; 108.36 ypg; 6.05 ypc
CAREER: 35 games; 590 carries; 3,140 yards; 32TDs; 87.2 yards/game; 5.32 yards/carry)

Wright had 136 more carries over his career than Tillery has so far.
Tillery has to average 82.7 yards per game to catch Wright.
Those stats are fine, and that's what I asked for. Thanks for posting.
What I didn't mention was the fact that we all know back in the '90's, SWAC defenses were much better than they are now against the run.
I'd take Pete's run defense over any defense in the SWAC right now. I'd take JSU's run defense under Big Daddy over any SWAC defense as well.
SWAC defenses now are flat out putrid. We all know this or at least we should.
Gramblings, Alcorn's, su's, JSU's, Prairie View's, Texas Southern, Valley's, Pine Bluff's, AAMU's, defense over the past couple seasons were nowhere near the caliber of SWAC rushing defenses during the '90's.
What do you think about present SWAC run defenses versus the defenses in the '90's?
Again, thanks for the stats.

What up JR? Nice to have you back bruh.
Any how, you'll see what I mean. So now you're giving credit to a coach who wasn't around when su won it's title? How soon folks forget.
Chennis Berry was at Southern every year we went to the championship including the one we won in 2013. Dude you don't know what you talking about. Smh

Chennis Berry was at Southern every year we went to the championship including the one we won in 2013. Dude you don't know what you talking about. Smh
Germany's system was already in place and the players were molded mostly by him before Berry arrived. We'll see what Berry can do on his own.

Those stats are fine, and that's what I asked for. Thanks for posting.
What I didn't mention was the fact that we all know back in the '90's, SWAC defenses were much better than they are now against the run.
I'd take Pete's run defense over any defense in the SWAC right now. I'd take JSU's run defense under Big Daddy over any SWAC defense as well.
SWAC defenses now are flat out putrid. We all know this or at least we should.
Gramblings, Alcorn's, su's, JSU's, Prairie View's, Texas Southern, Valley's, Pine Bluff's, AAMU's, defense over the past couple seasons were nowhere near the caliber of SWAC rushing defenses during the '90's.
What do you think about present SWAC run defenses versus the defenses in the '90's?
Again, thanks for the stats.

I don't like to compare eras. On the same token, I wouldn't comapre SWAC offenses from then to now. Rules are totally different, RBs are devalued and spread is now the way of the land.

Germany's system was already in place and the players were molded mostly by him before Berry arrived. We'll see what Berry can do on his own.
System? Them boys ain't win nothing before Chennis got there. Man you don't know Southern all you know is it's located in Baton Rouge and y'all play us every year. Pull 2010-2012 stats. Smh

System? Them boys ain't win nothing before Chennis got there. Man you don't know Southern all you know is it's located in Baton Rouge and y'all play us every year. Pull 2010-2012 stats. Smh
Whatever you say bruh. We'll see how it works out.

Good point.

It's good debate. I dig that.

But think about it, if Tillery passes Wright, that record might stay up forever because of the changes in offenses and the devaluation of the running back position.

Back