SU's Tillery could become SWAC career rushing leader

su folks are ignoring the huge elephants in the room, both on offense and defense. su lost their better and truest offensive coordinator and have a totally new defensive scheme which they have NO hint of what to expect.
Odoms is not a defensive guy, which is what su needs more than anything.
Even though SU lost a co-oc, the team returns a good combination. The good thing about the current OC, he's not new to the schemes SU has run the past 2 seasons with Tillery. And true jags know the defense is what has hampered SU the past 3 seasons. The schemes didn't help much when it came to playing passing teams. So, a new scheme.....even an "un-learned" new scheme could be an improvement over the last few seasons.

So, let's remove your diversion, there's no elephant in the room. And this is moreso about Tillery and his chance to gain yards.

Even though SU lost a co-oc, the team returns a good combination. The good thing about the current OC, he's not new to the schemes SU has run the past 2 seasons with Tillery. And true jags know the defense is what has hampered SU the past 3 seasons. The schemes didn't help much when it came to playing passing teams. So, a new scheme.....even an "un-learned" new scheme could be an improvement over the last few seasons.

So, let's remove your diversion, there's no elephant in the room. And this is moreso about Tillery and his chance to gain yards.

I don't think anyone truly expects you guys to fall off offensively. I'm sure things will continue as they were but more run oriented. And trust me you can definitely do worse on defense. We thought our defensive schemes were bad in 2014 but 2015 took the cake

Tillery will get those yards with Berry running the offense

su folks are ignoring the huge elephants in the room, both on offense and defense. su lost their better and truest offensive coordinator and have a totally new defensive scheme which they have NO hint of what to expect.
Odoms is not a defensive guy, which is what su needs more than anything.

You're ignoring the huge elephant in this room, you're clueless.

No need for a diversion. No matter how good Tillery will be, it's su's defense that will determine a winning or losing season.

No need for a diversion. No matter how good Tillery will be, it's su's defense that will determine a winning or losing season.

And yet again you divert from the topic. This post isn't about a winning or losing season. Stop trolling......

It's an accurate description as far as your knowledge goes on this subject. We could have Art Briles as our OC and you'd swear that he's the worst.
I actually had quite a bit of respect for Germany. I just didn't say it for obvious reasons. Chad was the brains behind Tillery's success. Losing that man is no small token.
It will be interesting to see if the current OC will know how to make subtle adjustments and tinkerings for running game in clutch moments.
In my opinion, Germany was the genius and calming effect behind Tillery's success.

I actually had quite a bit of respect for Germany. I just didn't say it for obvious reasons. Chad was the brains behind Tillery's success. Losing that man is no small token.
It will be interesting to see if the current OC will know how to make subtle adjustments and tinkerings for running game in clutch moments.
In my opinion, Germany was the genius and calming effect behind Tillery's success.
Dog you don't know what we're talking about. You wasn't saying this things about Chad from 2010-2012? Our offense didn't get great until Chennis Berry got there in 2013 ding ding Swac championship year. Chad was good. But will be fine at Southern.

Dog you don't know what we're talking about. You wasn't saying this things about Chad from 2010-2012? Our offense didn't get great until Chennis Berry got there in 2013 ding ding Swac championship year. Chad was good. But will be fine at Southern.
Germany built the foundation for what you're giving Berry credit for? Those players didn't even know Berry that well before he got there. They sure knew Germany though, and they trusted in his system.
Germany helped make Tillery what he is today.

Last edited:
Germany built the foundation for what you're giving Berry for? Those players didn't even know Berry that well before he got there. They sure knew Germany though, and they trusted in his system.
So, in other words, it doesn't matter who SU kept or who SU brought in, Tillery (who the thread is about) is not gonna have a good season because Germany left..... ok.

Since we are on the subject now, what exactly was Germany's role as Co-OC for SU? He seems to be doing all the right things off the field at JSU. Can't wait to see what we look like in the fall.

So, in other words, it doesn't matter who SU kept or who SU brought in, Tillery (who the thread is about) is not gonna have a good season because Germany left..... ok.
What's up J94? Haven't heard from you until now. That's interesting.

In regards to your comment, what I was saying is that it will be interesting to see what Tillery does WITHOUT the presence of Chad Germany. THAT'S what I'm hinting at.
Plus, who was there to make an MVP out of Dray Joseph? Chad Germany.

Since we are on the subject now, what exactly was Germany's role as Co-OC for SU? He seems to be doing all the right things off the field at JSU. Can't wait to see what we look like in the fall.
Mr. 06, I don't know. I hope he does well for J-State. But, I hope Tillery has a good season. I hope SU's passing game opens up opportunities for the run game and I hope the line is healthy. Those things the past 2 years has helped his success.

No, that's not the statement. It will be interesting to see what Tillery does WITHOUT the presence of Chad Germany. THAT'S what I'm saying.
Congrats to Germany. Maybe he can helped your qb soar. But, without the presence of 1 co-oc should not reduce the schemes.

Congrats to Germany. Maybe he can helped your qb soar. But, without the presence of 1 co-oc should not reduce the schemes.
Hopefully he can. Germany seemed to have a natural feel for the flow of the game and was a decent in-game-type coach. He knew how to make adjustments on the fly during critical moments of the game. He made a "star" out of Dray Joseph.
It'll be interesting to see what this Berry guy can do without Germany's presence and input.

No, that's not the statement. It will be interesting to see what Tillery does WITHOUT the presence of Chad Germany. THAT'S what I'm saying.

It makes sense for Chad Germany to make QBs successful. He was also the QB coach/"passing game coordinator" of sorts. If you would have said something about Austin Howard's chances without Chad, then I would have been with you.

I think Chad will do wonders with Ivy and whoever comes after him. However, there was a reason Southern's QBs were among the least sacked since Berry came on board.

It makes sense for Chad Germany to make QBs successful. He was also the QB coach/"passing game coordinator" of sorts. If you would have said something about Austin Howard's chances without Chad, then I would have been with you.

I think Chad will do wonders with Ivy and whoever comes after him. However, there was a reason Southern's QBs were among the least sacked since Berry came on board.
That simply means he's a decent offensive line coach, BUT can he teach quarterbacks the intellectual nuances of the position? Can he call the right plays at the right moment? Will he be able to properly utilize Tillery and the current QB's abilities? Those are critical questions one has to ponder.

Germany built the foundation for what you're giving Berry for? Those players didn't even know Berry that well before he got there. They sure knew Germany though, and they trusted in his system.
Man stick to j st. Smh

That simply means he's a decent offensive line coach, BUT can he teach quarterbacks the intellectual nuances of the position? Can he call the right plays at the right moment? Will he be able to properly utilize Tillery and the current QB's abilities? Those are critical questions one has to ponder.

It's kind of a luxury that Howard is going into year three as the starter and Shorts is three years in and backing him up. New QB coach Matt Leone will handle the QBs. I would be more concerned with Berry and the offense if we had to break in a new QB.

Now play calling, that's left to be seen. And that's a fair questioned that you asked. However, Berry inherits a veteran offensive unit with few holes to plug in. No spring practice means we will be using fall camp and the early season to really see what Berry's tendencies are.

IMO, injuries to Tillery or the o-line will be the only thing keeping him from catching Destry. Jay, what do you think? Can Tillery catch Wright?

Berry was the SUcess behind our run game. Chad is excellent with QB's. I really liked Chad, but like every coach he has weakness. The players didn't like Chad for some reason, who knows.

It's kind of a luxury that Howard is going into year three as the starter and Shorts is three years in and backing him up. New QB coach Matt Leone will handle the QBs. I would be more concerned with Berry and the offense if we had to break in a new QB.

Now play calling, that's left to be seen. And that's a fair questioned that you asked. However, Berry inherits a veteran offensive unit with few holes to plug in. No spring practice means we will be using fall camp and the early season to really see what Berry's tendencies are.

IMO, injuries to Tillery or the o-line will be the only thing keeping him from catching Destry. Jay, what do you think? Can Tillery catch Wright?
It depends on the quality of play by su's QB. If the QB's not effective, then I say no.
Can opposing defenses stack the box and take away the run, thus forcing su to pass the ball if the QB can't accurately pass? More passes mean fewer run attempts.
As we know, anything can happen in the SWAC, but with Germany's absence as lead OC, it will be difficult for Tillery to catch Destry.

Berry was the SUcess behind our run game. Chad is excellent with QB's. I really liked Chad, but like every coach he has weakness. The players didn't like Chad for some reason, who knows.
They may not have liked him, but it seems to me they played hard for him and seemed to respect him by the way they played. What more can a coach ask for?

They may not have liked him, but it seems to me they played hard for him and seemed to respect him by the way they played. What more can a coach ask for?
They didn't respect him, don't know why, but they didn't. If they did, they wouldn't be so openly talking about him. Food for thought. Chad was there Stumps last season. When Stump got fired, Chad took over the play calling. We still weren't able to run the ball that year. It wasn't until we hired Berry that next season when we were able to run. Chad is a great OC, except when he faced Alcorn lol. I'm taking the wait and see approach with Berry.

Back