Big 12 now says it will immediately consider expansion candidates

Olde Hornet

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...horns-big-12-expansion-conference-realignment

As the story goes, the Texas Longhorns are the big bully of the Big 12, forcing other schools to depart the conference out of arrogance and avarice and effectively giving the nine other members of the league a giant swirly by forcing their collective third-tier rights into the departing toilet water due to the existence of the Longhorn Network.

The thing is, if a report from the Cincinnati Enquirer is accurate, there may be some truth to the stereotype -- with a super majority of eight schools needed to vote in favor of expansion from 10 schools, Texas is pressuring TCU and Texas Tech to withhold votes, leaving the conference one vote short of reaching that necessary 75-percent threshold.

The best thing for the Big 12 and Texas is to expand to 12 teams, adding Florida St. and Clemson. In order for this to happen Texas has to give up the Longhorn Network.

West Virginia is lobbying for Cincinnati, which makes sense for them and also opens some Midwest/Rust Belt markets and potential athletes to the Big 12.

U of Houston is a really logical choice given the school's old Souhwest Conference ties to most of the current league membership and the large Houston TV market. Although they kinda sorta have in the market already, remember that there is no Big 12 member physically located in the Houston market.

SIDENOTE: no one is leaving the ACC, especially when that conference is about to renegotiate its deals and the ACC has presences in virtually every major East Coast market.

Yeah the rest of the Big 12 needs to tell Texas to screw themselves and add BYU and UH (maybe Cincy)

Location, Money and enrollment are the reasons, not past competitiveness.

That comes into my point UH isn't exactly a sleeping giant. I think it's UT trying to bully the other schools so they can keep the lions share of revenue

That comes into my point UH isn't exactly a sleeping giant. I think it's UT trying to bully the other schools so they can keep the lions share of revenue
Keeping the lions share is the main reason so many schools left the B12! The Longhorn Network has not been a major score outside of UT fans. Losing Colorado, Nebraska, and later Mizzou and A&M(due to Texas bullying) has made the B12 nearly as weak as the AAC.

The longhorn network has destroyed the conference. If I were the other teams I would look to leave the conference and strengthen another conference with shared TV revenue.

Here's the funny thing ... it wasn't like UH was destroying UT back in the SWC days. .

while they did eventually fall off, UH came into the SWC beating the brakes of everybody in multiple sports. In football, UH is currently more competitive than both Texas and A&M.

UH attendance is big draw back. Not sure abt Cincy attendance.

If Florida State and Clemson came to the Big 12 Texas would give up the Longhorn network.

The ACC is very secure! But I do admit that Notre Dame is getting on my very last.

I would trade Notre Dame to the Big 12 and then they should add BYU.

We already have 14 teams without ND.... this situation with them is so irritating.

But if they don't do that, I think it will be BYU (pretty much a lock IMO) and Cincy. UConn bball is tempting but ummmm it's in Connecticut! No Deal there... U of H is an interesting option but just like Memphis, they are not ready for the big time. They better enjoy being that big fish in the small pond....

Some people still think the ACC is a not a football conference.. YET, we have been in the national title hunt 2 of the last 3 years.

It isn't. ACC football consists of Florida State and Clemson...and it's been that way for the past 10 years. And ironically, both of them have the paths that they do exactly because they don't have to play anyone in the ACC lol. Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, North Carolina, Boston College, Syracuse, Virginia, NC State, Louisville, Pittsburgh lol. Not a single one of them is a football power. VT has sucked for a while and Miami can't buy fans to come to their games these days. If those two teams left the ACC, football wise, their games wouldnt even be worth watching.

Some people still think the ACC is a not a football conference.. YET, we have been in the national title hunt 2 of the last 3 years.
The ACC currently has 2 good programs, Florida State and Clemson. Everyone else in the conference..............

The key to getting in the Big 12 is all your attendance issues vanish overnight

You host OU, UT, Baylor, TCU and Tech every other year you don't have to market as much as that takes care of itself

Texas Tech is in the desert and and they ever got bumped out they suffer so that's why they have to ride the tails of UT

Uh fan is bandwagonish anyway so they pick up the big 12 T shirt fan is there every week plus that eliminates another recruiting excuse and that's a big hurdle

The longhorn network has destroyed the conference. If I were the other teams I would look to leave the conference and strengthen another conference with shared TV revenue.

That's not gonna happen. No one wants the other schools. OU would be the most likely but they are tied down by OSU so that eliminates that. Kansas basketball will only get them so far. Baylor, TCU, Tech, etc are non-factors when it comes to the other P5 conferences so that's why they whore themselves out for UT. Pac 12 and the Big 10 will never accept small, regional church schools and Tech's academic reputation will never make them an attractive choice.

Back