Prairie View A&M selects PBK Sports to design Football Stadium & Athletic Field House

Status
Not open for further replies.
The issues were about going over budget and later the food contracts. No actual construction issues. Oh, and a someone committed suicide at the site during construction.

Was the issue about going over budget related to construction??? If so, then it was a construction issue.

There were no construction workmanship issues. Is that better dude?

No, because that doesn't answer my question, but I do understand where you are coming from. LOL!!!! It sounds like some change orders were required to take care of some construction issues that weren't covered in the plans, which drove the project over budget. Contractors love to bid low on those projects, because they know they can make a bigger profit on REQUIRED change orders with a construction markup of anywhere between 15% to 20% on material, labor, and equipment charges. And if they have to hire a sub-contractor for a particular item, they will markup their fee too. The cost of change orders can completely go out of the roof. And on top of that they will ask for additional time to complete the project.

Last edited:
at the end of the day, there will be problems in some sort on a large scale project....UH opened the stadium at maybe 75% and then there were design flaws such as a 3rd deck with no bathrooms

at the end of the day, there will be problems in some sort on a large scale project....UH opened the stadium at maybe 75% and then there were design flaws such as a 3rd deck with no bathrooms

Sure there are construction issues on most projects, which is why most owners set aside 10% to 15% contingencies in the budget that is not included in the construction bid to take care of those issues. If a construction project goes over its bid amount plus any contingencies that were set aside, then there are major issues with the project. I do believe that most State's contract procurement laws require that the maximum amount of change orders on a single project SHALL NOT exceed 20% of the original bid amount. If the project's construction amount exceeds 20% over the original bid amount due to change orders, the owner is required to follow the State's procurement procedures in obtaining quotes or bids on any additional changes, since anything over 20% of the original bid amount is considered a drastic change to the project. Also, the owner can request for a decrease in the project, which most contractors will go against. The owner shall always have good oversight on any project, especially if the contractor goes over on his or her construction time. Once a contractor has exceeded the contract time, the owner has the right to deduct from the contractor's contract amount for every day they go over the contract time. Here's a the typical AIA document for change orders.

https://www.misronet.com/forms/change-order.htm

Last edited:
Re: Prairie View A&M selects PBK Sports to design Football Stadium & Athletic Field H

Is the pic the 30k pic or the 15k pic?

Here's the 30K pic.....

10479172_10153236796731798_395709579745891477_n.jpg

So just by closing end one endzone would double the capacity from 15k to 30k??? I would assume an increase of more like 1/2 of its current capacity, which is like an additional 7,500 seats: 15,000+7,500=22,500. Both endzones closed end: 15,000+7,500(2)=30,000.

Here's the 30K pic.....

10479172_10153236796731798_395709579745891477_n.jpg

Last edited:
So just by closing end one endzone would double the capacity from 15k to 30k??? I would assume an increase of more like 1/3 of its current capacity, which is like an additional 7,500 seats: 15,000+7,500=22,500. Both endzones closed end: 15,000+7,500(2)=30,000.

If you look at it the upper deck on the east side is also increased in size along with the size of the endzone area that will give you the additional 15K.

If you look at it the upper deck on the east side is also increased in size along with the size of the endzone area that will give you the additional 15K.

Okay, but I thought both sides would initially have upper decks. I guess the east side would be like Alabama State's visitors side. And I meant to say 1/2 of its current or initial capacity (7,500) not 1/3.

Last edited:
Okay, but I thought both sides would initially have upper decks. I guess the east side would be like Alabama State's visitors side. And I meant to say 1/2 of its current or initial capacity (7,500) not 1/3.

In a way it will but there will be just a small upper deck on the east side compared to the west side as the stadium will seat 9K on the west side and 6K on the east side in it's initial phase.

In a way it will but there will be just a small upper deck on the east side compared to the west side as the stadium will seat 9K on the west side and 6K on the east side in it's initial phase.

At least the stadium has room to expand in order to meet future demand. It would be nice if all SWAC schools could average 20k plus in attendance every year.

very nice design, the Panthers have reason to be quite proud of this facility when its done.
Is there going to be seating in the end zone? at least one end zone?

Austin, TX (September 18, 2015) - Hellas Construction will begin work at Prairie View A&M University next week for the construction of a football field, running track, and field events facility to be completed in 2016. The upcoming athletic building will be used by the NCAA Division I university’s Track and Field Program and the future United States Olympic Team for their Rio 2016 Summer Olympics training.

“I am extremely happy to be able to work with Prairie View A&M University again,” says Reed Seaton, President & CEO of Hellas Construction. “This is going to be a top-notch facility.”

The $3.72 million dollar project begins next week with the construction and installation of an epiQ TRACKS® Z5000, an IAAF certified running track that offers superior control, cushioning, energy return, and performance. The project also includes the construction of field event areas for javelin, high jump, pole vault, shot put, hammer throw, steeplechase, and others.

Hellas will switch gears in January and begin the construction of a Matrix® Synthetic Turf football field for the Prairie View A&M Panthers, a product known to enhance playability and performance by offering superior traction, increased shock absorption, minimized “fly-out”, and better foot control. The project will finish with the installation of covered bleachers that will hold 1,000 attendees at the facility.

“Working with the team at Prairie View A&M has been a pleasure for our company,” says Jim Loerwald, Hellas Construction Business Development Manager. “ [PVAMU Project Manager] Charles Brenton has been helpful and involved in the project since its origin, and working with him has been a great experience. We can’t wait for our team to start construction.”

The Panthers have announced a lineup of exciting events to be held at the facility, including the United States Olympic Training Camp during the month of July 2016. Prairie View A&M, a charter member of the Southwestern Athletic Conference, also plans to host the Prairie Relays on March 26 and a Collegiate Invite on April 16.

fill.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back