SWAC Baseball Notes: 3/20-3/23

SU is 3-14 on the year. Wow...2 years in a row? He's not able to stockpile talent like back in the day. The players he was getting in the 90s and early 2000s are now starting at SEC, B10 and other SWAC schools and also at lower level schools too. I been saying he is not as good of coach since I had multiple conversations with players from 2004-2007 teams. He's a great fundraiser though.

The rest of the teams caught up to him in the west. And this shift began in 2003 with Coach Rob when he was at PV. Heck, at TSU the first time we had the maximum 11.7 full ride scholarships in baseball was 2005. Before that, our max was 5. We were between 3-5 full schollies per year.

even the bad TSU teams with little aid still had good talent somehow but SU was still heads and shoulders better as they cherrypicked the top black kids all over...and they would go there for little aid

Somehow, Candy got those players from Atlanta, Colorado and the small Texas towns as they did just enough to hold off Grambling as UAPB and PV weren't factors then

SU is 3-14 on the year. Wow...2 years in a row? He's not able to stockpile talent like back in the day. The players he was getting in the 90s and early 2000s are now starting at SEC, B10 and other SWAC schools and also at lower level schools too. I been saying he is not as good of coach since I had multiple conversations with players from 2004-2007 teams. He's a great fundraiser though.

The rest of the teams caught up to him in the west. And this shift began in 2003 with Coach Rob when he was at PV. Heck, at TSU the first time we had the maximum 11.7 full ride scholarships in baseball was 2005. Before that, our max was 5. We were between 3-5 full schollies per year.

Don't say that TSUalum05,

You are about to get a barrage of photos of Lou Brock, Ricky Weeks and other baseball players from the historic program.

even the bad TSU teams with little aid still had good talent somehow but SU was still heads and shoulders better as they cherrypicked the top black kids all over...and they would go there for little aid

Somehow, Candy got those players from Atlanta, Colorado and the small Texas towns as they did just enough to hold off Grambling as UAPB and PV weren't factors then

Candy was amazing with the talent he was able to bring in through his connections.

Candy was amazing with the talent he was able to bring in through his connections.

And don't forget that his salary was never more than 13k per year as a baseball coach. Now that is amazing because the program was underfunded from a scholarship perspective and candy was severely under paid. And he didn't complain.

Normally SUjagTillheRigormortis would post all type of articles from their local newspaper. Must be really bad down there. Over the last two years cador is 13-40...Correct me if I'm wrong. Dammmmmmm

You mean all SU players are eligible right now... they took the #1 team in the nation into extra innings... and they were swept by a SWAC team?

Today's game between the Alcorn Braves and Memphis which was scheduled to begin at 1 P.M has been changed to a 2 pm 1stpitch due to rain .The game can be heard on wprl.org.

Top of 6
AAMU 7
ASU 7

Bases loaded with 1 out. Andrew Utterback at the plate with Julio Nunez (SWAC's leader in slugging %, on-base %, runs, hits, RBIs, doubles, HRs, and total bases) on deck.

Last edited:
Back