Women in the Pulpit

Acts 18:26

King James Version (KJV)

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

Hmmm.. sounds like women preaching to me

And what exactly are the duties of a preacher? Being a preacher is NOT just about delivering sermons on Sunday in a suit, or being over a church. That, in fact, is the easiest part of a preacher. Being a preacher is about accepting God, believing in His Son, professing and proclaiming Him, and ministering spiritually (and sometimes physically) to others......in and out of the pulpit. Bringing souls to Jesus Christ has absolutely nothing to do with being over a church, nor does it have anything to do with being a man.

And these women did more than just provide a service; because of their faithfulness and obedience they were saved and and their households were saved. It's not what they did, it's the faith and obedience they had to do it that's the message that God and His Son wants us to hear and see and spread to others.

I think that's what's wrong with a lot of folks today; too many people missing out on what God has for them because they're too focused on the messenger and not the message.

I hate to go back and forth with you because I know you're sincere and you mean well.

We're not talking about just service. We're not talking about faith and obedience. Of course, everyone can serve. Everyone can have faith. Everyone can obey. Every Christian has an obligation to "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven". Of course, that's all true - for men and women.

We're talking about authority.

The woman of Samaria had an encounter with the Master. While Jesus was very truthfully, He was also very discreet in revealing to her who He was. He discreetly told her that the time has come to worship the Father in Spirit and in truth because that's who God was looking for, true worshippers. He told her that she was who she knew who would come, the Messiah, and told her that if she were to accept Him, she would never again "thirst" for truth, righteous. This woman went back and told the Samaritans about a Man who told her all about herself and inquired as to if He were indeed the Messiah. The Samaritans then heard Jesus and asked Him to stay on, and the Lord stayed with them for 2 days and the Samaritans became Believers........

................all because a woman heard the words of the Lord and went back and told others about him. No, she wasn't a preacher, but her faith caused others to become Believers, which is the primary responsibility of the church.

I hate to go back and forth with you because I know you're sincere and you mean well.

We're not talking about just service. We're not talking about faith and obedience. Of course, everyone can serve. Everyone can have faith. Everyone can obey. Every Christian has an obligation to "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven". Of course, that's all true - for men and women.

We're talking about authority.

So, you have to have authority to bring souls to Jesus? You have to have authority to minister to others who need spiritual healing and growth? You have to have authority to go out and bring God's Word to those who don't know about the Lord and His promises? You have to have authority to go and tell others how to become heirs to the Kingdom?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you brought up the issue of "being over the church".....my point is that women don't have to be over a church to do the Master's will.

Last edited:
Galatians 3:26-29
26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

So, you have to have authority to bring souls to Jesus? You have to have authority to minister to others who need spiritual healing and growth? You have to have authority to go out and bring God's Word to those who don't know about the Lord and His promises? You have to have authority to go and tell others how to become heirs to the Kingdom?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you brought up the issue of "being over the church".....my point is that women don't have to be over a church to do the Master's will.

Not once have I disagreed with that point. Women are vessels just like everybody else and have work to do.

Really? Simply going to tell them that he had risen is preaching? What chapter and verse did he tell her to explain to them?

Since we're going the "why did" route, why didn't Jesus choose a woman to be one of the Apostles?

go google Junia

Acts 18:26

King James Version (KJV)

26 And he began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard, they took him unto them, and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly.

Hmmm.. sounds like women preaching to me

Hmmm. Really? Let's see ....

24 And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria, an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus.

25 This man was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

27 And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who, when he was come, helped them much which had believed through grace:

28 For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ.​

When you get the whole context of that scripture, it appears that Aquila and Priscilla pulled Apollos to the side and spoke to him in private. Priscilla did not get before the congregation and teach Apollos or anyone else anything.

You are correct. You were taught incorrectly that women are to be preachers and head of the church.
There is a lot of bad teaching passed down from one generation to the next concerning who can preach the Gospel message. Its amazing that Jesus never spoke against woman preaching but Paul gives young Tim some instructions to deal with a specific issue, we take it and run with to support our own belief and teaching. :read:

I dont have an issue with woman teaching, preaching or pastoring. I understand my role in Christendom and try to live and teach it daily.

go google Junia

:lol:

Man, you're trying too hard. Romans 16:7 was not saying that Andronicas and Junia were apostles. It was simply saying that the Apostles thought highly of them.

7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. - Romans 16: 7 KJV​

I'll throw this out.

There are a lot of terms being used and some being used interchangeably:

Apostle
Disciple
Minister
Pastor
Preacher
Teacher

and one that has not been mentioned, but should have Witness

When I have more time I will give the definitions from a concordance. Unless some one already has one available feel free.

Last edited:
Women were considered to be the possession of men during the first millennial. That is not the case today. Interpretation of the scriptures have changed. Slavery was once interpreted to be supported by the scripture. Change is constant, adjust or be left behind.

:lol:

Man, you're trying too hard. Romans 16:7 was not saying that Andronicas and Junia were apostles. It was simply saying that the Apostles thought highly of them.

7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me. - Romans 16: 7 KJV​

King James is the version you always use?

So you guys are looking for a woman to be leading a church in Bible days?

That's like looking for a Black man to have white slaves in MS in 1949..lol...

I will allow you smart people to engage in this theological debate. As for me I know who I serve and what he requires of me as a man. At the same time I also recogonize, as been proven throughout the old and the new testaments, that when he wants to speak he will find someone to deliever that message. I believe whole heartedly that he does intend to have man as the head but when a man won't do the job God will find another vessel be it a woman or as Luke 19:39-40 says, "...39 Some of the Pharisees in the crowd said to him, "Teacher, order your disciples to stop." 40 He answered, "I tell you, if these were silent, the stones would shout out."

I'm not smart enough to debate the bible but it is my utmost belief that God will use who or what (Numbers 22 the story of Balaam and the donkey) he wants to use to deliever his message. For me deciding on a church to attend is an important thing that I pray about. If God tells me to attend a church led by a woman, then so be it I will.

A book written by man...and you want to find something about a woman and authority? Lol good luck. PS, pay attention to the message, not the messenger. We were all created in his like-ness, who cares if it is a wo-man or man.

Women are to be silent in worship. Even if they have a question, they are to ask thier husbands at home.

That's NEW testiment. Now you can look up a multitude of scriptures detailing women serving the kingdome. But doing that to prove that women should acutally lead a worship service... That's self serving. And as for the 'change' in the world that some alluded to, the bible changes not, god changes not, we are to be in the world not of the world. Change with the world if you want to. But as for me, I can read and clearly comprehend that women are to be silent in worship, not preaching...

The historic Dexter Avenue King Memorial Church left the National Baptist Convention over this issue. Even the current Pope recognizes that the Catholic Church has to refocus its efforts on saving souls instead of getting bogged down on these debatable social issues.

So if I write a letter to a church saying how I believe that church should operate, someone
may take that letter thousands of years later, and say Tony's letter was not just for that church but he wrote it to, and for all churches?

if Paul was talking to all women everywhere, why did Paul call Priscilla his fellow workers in Christ Jesus? Acts 18:26, "He (Apollos) began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, THEY took him aside and explained to him the way of God of more adequately", and Priscilla is long thought to be the write of the book of Hebrews.

Questions: Are you using Acts 18:26 to validate that Priscilla was preaching and what reference, that Pricilla was to be the writer of the Book of Hebrews, other than what some "man" speculate.

I have no problem with women being in the pulpit. As long as they know the word of God there is no problem with me. I've heard many women preach and did a good job in doing so.

Might as well let women in th pulpit, the jack legs are there!

I do not agree with women preaching from the pulpit. But, the pulpit is full of "jack leg preachers" proclaiming to be called by God. And there are so many people that are ignorant in the word, following the jack leg preachers. Preaching has become a secondary job for some, just to make a few dollars.

Myself, preached for year. But had to step back and realized that it takes more time to study and prepare sermons than I had. The choice was to preach, full time or loose my job because I was studying at work.

This is an age old discussion and it simply comes down to everyone living according to their own convictions. Some will accept women, others will not plain and simply.

I am without a doubt the spiritual head of my home and my wife understands that! If my wife is called to pastor a church tomorrow I will support her and move my membership to her church. It still would not change the fact that I am the Spiritual head of home regardless of her calling.

In my home it's God, Me and My Wife.
In our church it's Christ, Pastor, Christains worshippers. (No gender)

I believe our mission is carrying out the teachings of Jesus Christ and not man.

If that be true, then why do you lean to the understanding of a man who decided to 'denoiminate' HIS version of church then ordain a woman minister when the BIBLE which is the word of God/Jesus is so explicitely against it? IN WRITING no doubt. Not left to interpretation at all.... "Women are to be silent in worship" "Women are not to lead men". That's very clear until MEN decide to make thier own truth and thier own way and thier own church 'demominations' and their own rules "women pastors"...
Sounds like some are intersted in the works and interests of man instead of the word of God...

Back