Women in the Pulpit

buckwheat

One of my friends that is the pastor of church here in Maryland made this comment on Facebook. Men and ladies, how do you feel about women being in the pulpit? I think we may have had this discussion many years ago on here.

"1 Corinthians 14:34 - Let your women keep silence in the churches:for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

How many women would move their membership from Paul's church and pastoral covering because his instruction is holding them back from fulfilling their calling to preach? For some, the instruction for women to keep silent in the church opposes their desire and pursuit in ministry. I guess we like to pick and choose what verses of scripture to highlight in our churches to justify what we want to do ministry-wise, but this true Apostle set guidelines for the churches, not just Corinth, even though some may have been offended by it. #cryloudsparenot "

I would never, ever attend a church with a woman at the head of it. Nope. Nada. Not gonna happen. I am amazed at the seven day folks because a woman started it. Women have a place. Sorry I know yall ain't gonna like that, but it is not to be the head of the church and house. This is one of the reasons the foundation of the AA community is in shambles now with all these soft young brothas.

One of my friends that is the pastor of church here in Maryland made this comment on Facebook. Men and ladies, how do you feel about women being in the pulpit? I think we may have had this discussion many years ago on here.

"1 Corinthians 14:34 - Let your women keep silence in the churches:for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.

How many women would move their membership from Paul's church and pastoral covering because his instruction is holding them back from fulfilling their calling to preach? For some, the instruction for women to keep silent in the church opposes their desire and pursuit in ministry. I guess we like to pick and choose what verses of scripture to highlight in our churches to justify what we want to do ministry-wise, but this true Apostle set guidelines for the churches, not just Corinth, even though some may have been offended by it. #cryloudsparenot "

some people would tell you, and use the Bible to show that this was Paul's instruction only for that specific church because of what was going on there, and not the other churches and certainly not the modern day christian church. They will then go on to quote things like where God said even the rocks will cry out if the Gospel is not preached and say if God doesn't mind rocks crying out He certainly doesn't have a problem with women and they will go on and on and on...

You have the correct answer. When churches start doing things to satisfy the members rather than obeying God, they have gone astray. That's when they become OUR church rather than God's church. OUR church is practically useless and attending OUR church is a waste of time.

In God's church, there is no such thing as a woman preacher. No such thing as a woman called to preach. If she is "called", then you might want to investigate who called her.

One of the biggest problems in this generation is men who are too weak to take a stand. Too weak to stand up for something. Too weak to tell people no. But, you can't be weak in God's church.

The Scripture is very clear:

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Timothy 2: 10 - 12 KJV​

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Matthew 15: 8 - 9 KJV​

Any justification of a woman preaching is a commandment of man. I guess it's up to the individual to determine what they want to follow, God or man. :noidea:

Last edited:
You have the correct answer. When churches start doing things to satisfy the members rather than obeying God, they have gone astray. That's when they become OUR church rather than God's church. OUR church is practically useless and attending OUR church is a waste of time.

In God's church, there is no such thing as a woman preacher. No such thing as a woman called to preach. If she is "called", then you might want to investigate who called her.

One of the biggest problems in this generation is men who are too weak to take a stand. Too weak to stand up for something. Too weak to tell people no. But, you can't be weak in God's church.

10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works. 11 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. 12 But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Timothy 2: 10 - 12 KJV​

8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. 9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. Matthew 15: 8 - 9 KJV​

Any justification of a woman preaching is a commandment of man. I guess it's up to the individual to determine what they want to follow, God or man. :noidea:

Good Information.

I prefer a male pastor. I don't anything against women pastors but I prefer having a strong male figure in charge.

if Paul was talking to all women everywhere, why did Paul call Priscilla his fellow workers in Christ Jesus? Acts 18:26, "He (Apollos) began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, THEY took him aside and explained to him the way of God of more adequately", and Priscilla is long thought to be the write of the book of Hebrews. Syntyche is called a fellow yokeman by Paul. Paul wasn't talking to women across the Christian faith but to the problems at the church in which timothy leads, he also says, refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. Many scholars believe that women were teaching culture truths than the word of God, so he tells them to be silent instead of spreading lies and untruths around the Christian community

My brothers these are the last days, and there are false Churches that are accepting things that are not in line with the word of God. I really appreciate to see that there are some real Believers that will stand up for the word God. The Devil is constantly working on a way to blind the Church into allowing ungodly things.

What Cee Dog said about men being soft is very correct. We as men are also the Spiritual leaders of our own houses. We should be strong and like Joshua and teach our children what thus say the Lord. If you are in my house you will serve the Lord.

But now in this generation, children are telling the parents that they don’t want to go to church and parents are allowing it.

Look Men, we are held accountable for the people that are under our roof. For God did not go to Eve when she bit of the fruit but he when straight to Adam because he put him in charge of that house.

NO Child should ever be allowed to tell you what God they want to serve. I have two boys myself and they WILL know the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. In the mighty name of our lord and savior Jesus Christ. I apologize for going off topic but I just could help myself I see this mess to much.

My denomination ordained the first female minister in the country back in the 1800s. They also led to the establishment of numerous HBCUs throughout the south after the Civil War. Our current pastor is a female and I have no problem with her in that capacity. Since the Armistad case, my denomination has been in the forefront of equal treatment of all people regardless of race, gender or economic status. I believe our mission is carrying out the teachings of Jesus Christ and not man. Each his own!

if Paul was talking to all women everywhere, why did Paul call Priscilla his fellow workers in Christ Jesus? Acts 18:26, "He (Apollos) began to speak boldly in the synagogue. When Aquila and Priscilla heard him, THEY took him aside and explained to him the way of God of more adequately", and Priscilla is long thought to be the write of the book of Hebrews. Syntyche is called a fellow yokeman by Paul. Paul wasn't talking to women across the Christian faith but to the problems at the church in which timothy leads, he also says, refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness. Many scholars believe that women were teaching culture truths than the word of God, so he tells them to be silent instead of spreading lies and untruths around the Christian community

Good stuff.

There is a lot of bad teaching passed down from one generation to the next concerning who can preach the Gospel message. Its amazing that Jesus never spoke against woman preaching but Paul gives young Tim some instructions to deal with a specific issue, we take it and run with to support our own belief and teaching. :read:

I dont have an issue with woman teaching, preaching or pastoring. I understand my role in Christendom and try to live and teach it daily.

There is a lot of bad teaching passed down from one generation to the next concerning who can preach the Gospel message. Its amazing that Jesus never spoke against woman preaching but Paul gives young Tim some instructions to deal with a specific issue, we take it and run with to support our own belief and teaching. :read:

I dont have an issue with woman teaching, preaching or pastoring. I understand my role in Christendom and try to live and teach it daily.

Hmmm.

Let's see what else Paul says:

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. 3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. 1 Corinthians 11:1 - 3​

"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. ... keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you." Seeing that Paul was Apostle to the Gentiles, it appears that we are supposed to take what he says and run with it.

As far as verses 2 and 3 are concerned, according to y'alls logic, if it's okay for a woman to lead men in the church then it should be okay for a man to lead Christ. We all know that's ludicrous and not possible. A woman leading a church is out of order, just as it would be out of order for a man to try to dictate to Christ. Which is what is happening when we allow women to preach and pastor churches. It's out of order. Period.

In addition, these are some things to consider: when it came time for the Lord to destroy Sisera (an evil army commander who oppressed the children of Israel), it was a woman named Deborah (a prophetess and only female judge of Israel; she judged Israel for almost 30years), who knew of God's plan to destroy Sisera; it was Deborah who told Barak that he was to go and have victory over Sisera; it was Deborah who went with Barak because he said he'd only go if she went with him; it was Deborah who told him that the honor would be given to a woman because of his apprehension

It was a woman, Jael, who slaughtered the oppressor Sisera.

With that being said, we all know that women have played pivotal roles in the Bible;it was a woman and prostitute (Rahab) that risked her life & hid God's spies in her home so they could carry out the Lord's command; it was women who wept for the Saviour while he suffered and bled at Calvary; it was women who were the first to go and embalm His body after His death, and it was a woman (Mary Magdalene), also present at the Crucifixion, that the Lord first appeared to and instructed her to go to His brothers (disciples) and tell them of His Resurrection. Even now, women in the church serve pivotal roles, as they also are adequate to teach and relay God's Word to others. You don't always have to be in a pulpit to teach or preach God's Word. And when it comes to offering Salvation to others, especially those outside the household of faith, you don't have to be a man to lead souls to Jesus Christ.

Hmmm.

Let's see what else Paul says:

1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. 2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you. 3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God. 1 Corinthians 11:1 - 3​

"Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ. ... keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you." Seeing that Paul was Apostle to the Gentiles, it appears that we are supposed to take what he says and run with it.

As far as verses 2 and 3 are concerned, according to y'alls logic, if it's okay for a woman to lead men in the church then it should be okay for a man to lead Christ. We all know that's ludicrous and not possible. A woman leading a church is out of order, just as it would be out of order for a man to try to dictate to Christ. Which is what is happening when we allow women to preach and pastor churches. It's out of order. Period.

read until at least verse five, if not the whole question, and you will see Paul is talking to married couples in ministry. He letting them know that a woman must have permission from her husband before she works in ministry, he is her covering. he is the spiritual authority of the house and she can't overstep him to minister without breaking God's order for the house, but he can release her into ministry and allow her to pray and prophesy (to proclaim God's word).
1 Corinthians 11:1-5

King James Version (KJV)
1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
2 Now I praise you, brethren, that ye remember me in all things, and keep the ordinances, as I delivered them to you.
3 But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.
4 Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.

In addition, these are some things to consider: when it came time for the Lord to destroy Sisera (an evil army commander who oppressed the children of Israel), it was a woman named Deborah (a prophetess and only female judge of Israel; she judged Israel for almost 30years), who knew of God's plan to destroy Sisera; it was Deborah who told Barak that he was to go and have victory over Sisera; it was Deborah who went with Barak because he said he'd only go if she went with him; it was Deborah who told him that the honor would be given to a woman because of his apprehension

It was a woman, Jael, who slaughtered the oppressor Sisera.

With that being said, we all know that women have played pivotal roles in the Bible;it was a woman and prostitute (Rahab) that risked her life & hid God's spies in her home so they could carry out the Lord's command; it was women who wept for the Saviour while he suffered and bled at Calvary; it was women who were the first to go and embalm His body after His death, and it was a woman (Mary Magdalene), also present at the Crucifixion, that the Lord first appeared to and instructed her to go to His brothers (disciples) and tell them of His Resurrection. Even now, women in the church serve pivotal roles, as they also are adequate to teach and relay God's Word to others. You don't always have to be in a pulpit to teach or preach God's Word. And when it comes to offering Salvation to others, especially those outside the household of faith, you don't have to be a man to lead souls to Jesus Christ.

:)

None of those women were preachers. None of them were over the church. Not a single one.

When Paul said "I suffer not a woman to teach", that's what he meant. He didn't say "I suffer not a woman to provide any service to God or the church at all". The Bible is full of stories of women providing service. The sinner woman who washed Jesus feet with her tears and hair. The entire book of Esther is so beautiful. I'm sure you know the story. But, let's not confuse providing service and being instruments of God with being a pastor or a preacher.

Let me also say there are some that are trying to equate prophesying with preaching. They are not the same thing.

Last edited:

Why did the risen Lord first apppear Mary Magdalene
and told her to go tell the others? Sounds like preaching to me.

John 20:17 Jesus said, “Do not touch me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’

John 20:17 Jesus said, “Do not touch me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’

Recounting an event is not exactly the same as preaching in the pulpit on Sundays, though.

Really? Simply going to tell them that he had risen is preaching? What chapter and verse did he tell her to explain to them?

Since we're going the "why did" route, why didn't Jesus choose a woman to be one of the Apostles?

Judges 4:4

4 Now Deborah, a prophet, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time.

Hmmmm.....

With all due respect, I don't think that's the fault of the church, but moreso a large portion of folks occupying the pews. Prime example is in the area/issue of tithing. How many times have we heard people we work with or people we go to church with or even people on this board come up with all kinds of excuses to NOT pay tithes? It's not the church picking and choosing scriptures about tithing, nor is it the church that is satisfying members or disobeying God......it's the people. There was a thread on here about a female pastor, who did pay a monetary tip at Applebee's, that refused to allow them to take out the money on her debit/credit card. Again, she had already left a tip, but there was such an outcry when she voiced that she gives her commanded portion to God rather than a waitress! Posters had a problem with this woman, who later apologized, being in obedience but felt sorry for the waitress, who chose to work a an extremely low income paying job. We've all heard people say numerous times "Passa said pay tithes....I'm not giving my money", in actuality God commanded us to pay tithes, not the pastor.

In the case of women in the pulpit, while I was raised by the same principle in the Bible, I know that women have played a major influence in a lot people's decision to come to Christ. I know that women have went out and preached God's Word with more passion and emphasis than a lot of male pastors. Again, when it comes to bringing souls to Him, Jesus did not say that you had to be a man. When we all learn to be about God's business, which is to amplify, magnify, and edify Him and His Word, we can be better Christians/Believers and do whatever it is He instructs us to do.

We need to stop trying to apply God's Word to justify and benefit our lives and instead start aligning our lives to His Word.

Judges 4:4

4 Now Deborah, a prophet, the wife of Lappidoth, was leading Israel at that time.

Hmmmm.....

Judges 4:4 KJV

4 And Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lapidoth, she judged Israel at that time.

Hmmm.

Acts 2:16-18

16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy

Hmmm..sounds like women preaching to me

Acts 2:16-18

16 But this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

17 ‘And it shall come to pass in the last days, says God,
That I will pour out of My Spirit on all flesh;
Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
Your young men shall see visions,
Your old men shall dream dreams.
18 And on My menservants and on My maidservants I will pour out My Spirit in those days;
And they shall prophesy

Hmmm..sounds like women preaching to me

Again, prophesying and preaching are two different things.

None of those women were preachers. None of them were over the church. Not a single one.

When Paul said "I suffer not a woman to teach", that's what he meant. He didn't say "I suffer not a woman to provide any service to God or the church at all". The Bible is full of stories of women providing service. The sinner woman who washed Jesus feet with her tears and hair. The entire book of Ester is so beautiful. I'm sure you know the story. But, let's not confuse providing service and being instruments of God with being a pastor or a preacher.

Let me also say there are some that are trying to equate prophesying with preaching. They are not the same thing.

And what exactly are the duties of a preacher? Being a preacher is NOT just about delivering sermons on Sunday in a suit, or being over a church. That, in fact, is the easiest part of a preacher. Being a preacher is about accepting God, believing in His Son, professing and proclaiming Him, and ministering spiritually (and sometimes physically) to others......in and out of the pulpit. Bringing souls to Jesus Christ has absolutely nothing to do with being over a church, nor does it have anything to do with being a man.

And these women did more than just provide a service; because of their faithfulness and obedience they were saved and and their households were saved. It's not what they did, it's the faith and obedience they had to do it that's the message that God and His Son wants us to hear and see and spread to others.

I think that's what's wrong with a lot of folks today; too many people missing out on what God has for them because they're too focused on the messenger and not the message.

Back