Windows Phone 7 Series

Honestly im not a fan of win phone 7... I think what they did was basically take a page from the iphone book and dumb the phone down, lock it down and try to make it a multimedia/social networking device. I mean I guess they had to do something since their marketshare is constantly slipping but I would've gone in a different direction. So far from what I hear there wont be any multitasking and even the iphone os 4 will have that.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Honestly im not a fan of win phone 7... I think what they did was basically take a page from the iphone book and dumb the phone down, lock it down and try to make it a multimedia/social networking device. I mean I guess they had to do something since their marketshare is constantly slipping but I would've gone in a different direction. So far from what I hear there wont be any multitasking and even the iphone os 4 will have that.

I agree more and more every time I look at it. I think its pretty much going to flop outside of those that want really tight Exchange and Sharepoint integration. But Apple and Google have pushed the smartphone well beyond that type of user and they will not capture much of that market like this. Ironically though I saw a mockup of it on a tablet PC and it looks to be better suited for that. But instead they are trying to push full blown Win 7 on tablets and nobody wants it....thats why HP dropped theirs.

True... microsoft sat back and basically watched while the iphone and android basically shot past them. They waited too long to try to make a change. Honestly, winmo has changed VERY little since the earlier versions. The only thing different now is that HTC was smart enough to create a more visually appealing interface to lay over the top of it so that it wouldnt be so obvious. But if you think about it, android has come further on their 2nd version of their OS than winmo has come in 6 now.

Man that HTC EVO thats coming out this summer is going to run circles around every phone on the market...

:)

Man that HTC EVO thats coming out this summer is going to run circles around every phone on the market...

:)

True... I have mine on preorder. And luckily I get damn good 4g coverage in my area so I cant wait. Only bad thing about being on an employee line is you have to wait like 2 or 3 weeks after the phone goes available to the public before you can use your upgrade to get it. Otherwise you have to pay retail. That may be what I end up doing since I got $400 off the nexus and ill probably sell the hero too and just save my upgrade.

Word has it though that htc is working on the nex gen android that'll be coming out towards the end of the year with the new 1.6 ghz tegra processor so..... I may save my upgrade for that.

<object width="364" height="280"><param name="movie" value="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50087848" /><embed src="http://www.cnet.com/av/video/flv/universalPlayer/universalSmall.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="364" height="280" allowFullScreen="true" FlashVars="playerType=embedded&type=id&value=50087848" /></object>

Word has it though that htc is working on the nex gen android that'll be coming out towards the end of the year with the new 1.6 ghz tegra processor so..... I may save my upgrade for that.

Thats gone be mighty close to being able to replace a game console which I'm waiting for. With the HDMI out and controllers being made already its a no brainer. Hell Google just demoed how you can run a game as big as Lego Star Wars right in your browser. You don't even have to download anything.

See, this is going to be what does Windows in. They aren't releasing Windows Mobile 7 until the end of this year. Meanwhile, Apple is about to release the iPhone 4G with the 4.0 OS and Google is about to roll out Android 2.2 possibly in June, too (this is after they rolled out Android 2.1 about a month and a half ago). The two main competitors to Microsoft are making moves while Microsoft is just standing still.
They way Microsoft is going, Windows Mobile 7 won't even make a ripple in the water by the time the holidays come around. The mobile phone competition is getting hotter by the moment and Microsoft is just sitting by letting it happen. Nobody will care about Windows Mobile 7 by the time it comes out.
If they have this "hot, new phone OS" that they think they do, they better get it out there before it's too late.

I mean there are still gonna be a lot of people that are devoted to winmo but they arent going to convert anyone on a mass scale. Crazy part is phones like the evo a lot of people really dont even know about but every best buy and radio shack is already sold out on pre-orders for June 4th.

Most-anticipated smartphones of 2010

Windows Phone 7

With the introduction of Windows Phone 7, people are, once again, interested in Microsoft's mobile operating system. WP7 brings with it a complete overhaul of the user interface and additional features, such as the integration of Zune and Xbox Live. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait a while for it, as devices won't be ready to ship till the holiday season.

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6452_7-10002953.html?s=0&o=10002953&tag=mncol;page

I am struggling on what phone I want to get next. I currently have an Android (G1). I mainly got the phone so that I could write apps for it. Since I purchased my G1, the Android OS has updated at a rapid pace (moving from 1.5 to 2.2).

I am looking at moving to Windows Phone 7 mostly because my development background is Microsoft based. The difference between Windows Mobile 6x and Windows Phone 7 is huge. All regular apps will be developed using Microsoft Silverlight. All games will be developed using XNA which is the same technology used to create XBOX games.

But when I think about the their marketshare, I wonder if it is worth it.

I mean its not as if they have a choice... their userbase is shrinking every quarter.. they had to do something and they saw how well the iphones sell and basically took a page out of their book.

I am struggling on what phone I want to get next. I currently have an Android (G1). I mainly got the phone so that I could write apps for it. Since I purchased my G1, the Android OS has updated at a rapid pace (moving from 1.5 to 2.2).

I am looking at moving to Windows Phone 7 mostly because my development background is Microsoft based. The difference between Windows Mobile 6x and Windows Phone 7 is huge. All regular apps will be developed using Microsoft Silverlight. All games will be developed using XNA which is the same technology used to create XBOX games.

But when I think about the their marketshare, I wonder if it is worth it.

In the end...its Microsoft...and besides Windows and Office they manage to screw up any sure fire winner. From a developers standpoint XNA should drive the phone well into the market. Thats developing games in managed code. But for some reason this hasn't proven to be big for the Xbox Live Arcade market. Otherwise I think the phone will only be interesting to Windows lovers that love things like Sharepoint. MS looks to have all the pieces to make something great but they'll screw it up one way or another. They need some younger management or somethin in key positions....they are out of touch.

Personally I'm working on Android development right now and banking on it as the way to go. I think the lack of folk that want to develop games with Java leaves a huge market to be swept up. But the REAL thing to watch out for is HTML 5 canvas. If you get a chance look for the Google I/O conference vid on HTML 5 they had the full Lego Star Wars game running in a browser. Couple that with their Google Web Toolkit and the 2d and 3d frameworks being built and it will be pretty easy to build good games that run on anything that can run an HTML 5 compliant browser. They are already working on an app market for HTML 5 applications that supposed to launch late this year.

Back