Will the SWAC be in the play-in Game again this year?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
But 83, they have only won one game in the tournament. They are one hit wonders like all the SWAC schools that have won one game in the tournament. I mean there are other schools in the MEAC who have also won in the tournament. Don't let their recent sucess fool you. In five years, you will be saying the same thing about them that you are saying now about the SWAC schools who have won. Don't believe the hype. They are not world beaters. They had a losing season this year (13-17). Their OOC record was 2-10.

Yes, they had a good year winning a tournament game but so did all those other teams from both the MEAC and the SWAC who won a tournament games in the past. The only reason they are looked at highly is because their win was most recent.

Originally posted by GRAM4LIFE
I mean there are other schools in the MEAC who have also won in the tournament. Don't let their recent sucess fool you. In five years, you will be saying the same thing about them that you are saying now about the SWAC schools who have won.

Probably will, but we are not talkin five years from now. We are talking right now.

You said it yourself ................I picked hampton as an example, but they are not the ONLY team in the MEAC to win in the tournament. WHO HAS WON IN THE TOURNAMENT BESIDES SOUTHERN FOR THE SWAC............... NOT THE NIT.

JSU wins over USA and Montona

Valley wins over TxPA, Northwestern

They've changed conference rankings. As of right now the 2 lowest conferences are the SWAC and MEAC.

The MEAC lowest ranking conference right now. (3/12/04 - 11:47 a.m.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And with that, that god for auto bids and play-in games. Without it, we wouldn't get shat.

I actually think there are some benefits to being in the play-in game.

1. The opportunity to officially win a NCAA game.

2. You have the entire college basketball watching world to yourself that night. If you don't play the play-in, you get 1/4th maybe watching you.

In men's basketball, Howard won the 1981 MEAC Tournament and became the first MEAC team to play in the Division I Basketball National Tournament. MEAC runner-up N.C. A&T was then invited to play in the 1981 National Invitational Tournament. N.C. A&T started a string of seven consecutive NCAA appearances. In 1997 Coppin State became the first MEAC team to advance to the second round and Hampton matched that feat in 2001.

The 1981 NIT trip was N.C. A&T's second, having participated in 1976. However, UMES had proceeded the Aggies by reaching the NIT second round in 1974. Also in 1974, Morgan State made the biggest splash by winning the NCAA Division II National Championship.

MEACHoops website.

The question that needs to be answered is what can the SWAC and MEAC do to earn respect in basketball.I believe the best thing to happen is for 3 or 4 teams in each conference to have 20 wins.Often we have all of our eggs in one basket ie MVSU and SCSU.The problem with having one decent team is that if they stumble in the conference tourney we send a sub .500 team that loses by 60 in the first round.The talent has been there with TXSU,JSU,,CSU,and SU in the 90's and HIU in 2001. Look at the CIAA and the success they have had.It not by dumb luck that they have become the second most successful basketball tournament in all of college basketball but it is due to the fact that they have 3 or 4 legitimate contenders every year.Look at other small conferences like the MVC,Gateway,etc...They may sneak in a second team because they have 2 or 3 20 win teams and play a reasonable out of conference schedule. The SWAC should play Southland,Sunbelt,and lower tier schools from the SEC and Big 12 to help with the RPI.The MEAC should do the same with the CAA,A-10,and lower tier Big East &ACC schools.This will help us get some quality wins and boost the conference RPI.What we need to stop doing is acting like there is some bias against HBCU's when we haven't done much to merit the respect of the NCAA.

Originally posted by BandFan
another question: Why hasnt the MEAC been in the play in games? (not hating on the MEAC)

I think FAMU has now answered your question.

Contrary to what a lot of folks think, I actually think the NCAA may go out of its way not to put the SWAC champ in the play-in game this year.

I'd be surprised if they put both HBCUs against each other in the play-in game, even though it looks like this year they deserve to be there.

I say this not knowing how the other lower conference auto bid teams stack up.

I think the bottum line to this whole argument is this: until the SWAC (as a conference) improves it's out-of-conference record against 'mid-level' programs, we'll forever be relegated to the NCAA 'Play-In' Game.....

But one thing I'm sure of, you'll never see the SWAC play the MEAC or CIAA in the 'Play-In' game. The NCAA Tourney Selection Committee prolly has an un-written, un-spoken rule somewhere, barring them from seating any of the HBCU Conferences as numbers 64 and 65. We'll prolly be 62 and 65, or maybe a 63 and 65, but never 64 and 65......Why???? Because even the PWC ADs would cry racism......

But specifically, with Valley out, and the SWAC Champ being either Annie Mae or Annie Sue...... The only way I DON'T see the SWAC Champ in the 'Play-In' Game is if two other small conference champs have worse records......

:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Taylor-Made'90

But one thing I'm sure of, you'll never see the SWAC play the MEAC or CIAA in the 'Play-In' game. The NCAA Tourney Selection Committee prolly has an un-written, un-spoken rule somewhere, barring them from seating any of the HBCU Conferences as numbers 64 and 65. We'll prolly be 62 and 65, or maybe a 63 and 65, but never 64 and 65......Why???? Because even the PWC ADs would cry racism......

But specifically, with Valley out, and the SWAC Champ being either Annie Mae or Annie Sue...... The only way I DON'T see the SWAC Champ in the 'Play-In' Game is if two other small conference champs have worse records......

:rolleyes:

The CIAA is not D1A so you won't have that problem, but like I said in the other threads the only way you won't see the Meac vs Swac play-in game is for CalState-Northridge to beat University of the Pacific in the Big West Final.

Originally posted by Fiyah
The CIAA is not D1A so you won't have that problem, but like I said in the other threads the only way you won't see the Meac vs Swac play-in game is for CalState-Northridge to beat University of the Pacific in the Big West Final.

My 'bad' about the CIAA thing.... Thanks for clearing that up, FIYA.....:tup::tup:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
This is not meant for everyone, only those who will feel gyped by the SWAC champ being in the play-in game.

Who would you have them put in it instead?

If there are two teams with losing records, shouldn't those two be the ones in the play-in?

Present your case if you feel otherwise.

RPIs above 200 still in contention or already in:
(records before conf tourneys)

205 Lehigh 17-10
236 Tex-San Antonio 13-12
253 Alabama St 13-14
285 Alabama A&M 11-15
291 FAMU 11-16

Originally posted by PNeck019
This is not meant for everyone, only those who will feel gyped by the SWAC champ being in the play-in game.

Who would you have them put in it instead?

If there are two teams with losing records, shouldn't those two be the ones in the play-in?

236 Tex-San Antonio 13-12

UTSA's record is 20-12, if 2 teams with losing records make the tourny they will be in the play-in game.

If AlSt wins they will be 16-14 RPI 253
If AAMU wins they will be 14-16, RPI 285
If CS-Northridge wins they will be 15-15, RPI 230

So it will be a hard decision to put a losing record or even a .500 record aboove a winning record. ASU's rpi won't jump any if they beat AAMU but CS-Northridges will by beating Pacific who is 22-7 and has a RPI of 70. So I will have to change my stand on this because ASU will only have a 1 game advantage over CS-N but CS-N played a tougher opponent and one with a good winning record.

Team 64 - Swac rep
Team 65 - FAMU

UTSA's record is 20-12, if 2 teams with losing records make the tourny they will be in the play-in game.

If AlSt wins they will be 16-14 RPI 253
If AAMU wins they will be 14-16, RPI 285
If CS-Northridge wins they will be 15-15, RPI 230

So it will be a hard decision to put a losing record or even a .500 record aboove a winning record. ASU's rpi won't jump any if they beat AAMU but CS-Northridges will by beating Pacific who is 22-7 and has a RPI of 70. So I will have to change my stand on this because ASU will only have a 1 game advantage over CS-N but CS-N played a tougher opponent and one with a good winning record.

Team 64 - Swac rep
Team 65 - FAMU

I believe the RPI only considers Division I games. That's why some of my records were a little off. That and the 3-0 that comes with winning your conf tourney.

Also, close but no cigar:

Pacific 75, CS-Northridge 73

So unless the NCAA goes out of its way to not match up HBCUs in the play-in game, that's what we'll have.

Well will the committee put us in the play-in game this year or not.

Here are my picks for the last 4 slots in no particular order

American *(Patriot) RPI-159 SOS-239
Lehigh *(Patriot) RPI-205 SOS-321
Alabama St(SWAC) RPI-253 SOS-302
Tx San Antonio(Southland) RPI-236 SOS-301
Florida A&M(MEAC) RPI-291 SOS-307

*Patriot Championship game is today between these 2 teams, Lehigh beat American both times in conferance play(63-58OT/86-65). It'll be hard to beat the same team 3 times, but who knows?

Here are my picks for the last 4 slots.

62 - Tx San Antonio(Southland) RPI-236 SOS-301
63 - Alabama St(SWAC) RPI-253 SOS-302
64 - Lehigh (Patriot) RPI-205 SOS-321
65 - Florida A&M(MEAC) RPI-291 SOS-307

I got the last 4 correct

#1 Kentucky vs #64/65 Lehigh/FAMU
#2 Duke vs #63 Alabama St
#3 Standford vs #62 Tx San Anotnio

Well....I am glad the SWAC got in without the play in. I like it better when we have the automatic bid and don't have to worry. It sucks how they mess things up with this play in game.

Back