Who has the #1 recruiting class this year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Since this thread is going to be all about Bell anyway...

Originally posted by HBCUs
Here's an interesting tidbit:

JSU's 2002 run-pass breakdown:
443 runs attempted, 425 passes attempted

JSU's 2003 run-pass breakdown:
377 runs attempted, 418 passes attempted
(Yep, about 80% run.) :rolleyes:

I tell ya, James Bell is the anti-Christ.

I wouldn't say he's the anti-christ but he's surly the worst coach in the SWAC and possibly of all HBCU's ;)

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: Since this thread is going to be all about Bell anyway...

Originally posted by HBCUs
Here's an interesting tidbit:

JSU's 2002 run-pass breakdown:
443 runs attempted, 425 passes attempted

JSU's 2003 run-pass breakdown:
377 runs attempted, 418 passes attempted
(Yep, about 80% run.) :rolleyes:

I tell ya, James Bell is the anti-Christ.

LOL
Looks like Hughes was more balanced than Bell. I think the perception was that Bell tried to run early in the season and couldn't so he switched back to the pass. By that time the players had quit on him. I saw open WRs drop balls against us and some other JSU games I saw on TV. Bell had everybody thinking he was running 80% of the time during the season cause he did try to do so in the first few games and everybody made a big deal about it in Jackson. 02 JSU had T. Counselor who ran pretty well so I am not shocked that Hughes had more runs than Bell.

I am sure Bell hopes not to have to pass 418 times next year and up those run attempts.

Re: Re: Since this thread is going to be all about Bell anyway...

Originally posted by JR
LOL
Looks like Hughes was more balanced than Bell. I think the perception was that Bell tried to run early in the season and couldn't so he switched back to the pass. By that time the players had quit on him. I saw open WRs drop balls against us and some other JSU games I saw on TV. Bell had everybody thinking he was running 80% of the time during the season cause he did try to do so in the first few games and everybody made a big deal about it in Jackson. 02 JSU had T. Counselor who ran pretty well so I am not shocked that Hughes had more runs than Bell.

I am sure Bell hopes not to have to pass 418 times next year and up those run attempts.

Exactly..:cool:

Originally posted by Tigerpride
Here is the thing Mike.....I could care less about your recruits. I have heard that they look good. Great.. I hope so...you need the help. But I stand by the thought that ANY athlete worth his weight, won't choose AAMU. So I could care less about what you have signed.

Also, JSU has bragged on recruits because we used to have potential NFL players on our team. More than any other team in the SWAC. Everyone wanted to see JSU's recruiting class just as I am sure that everyone could not wait to see who we signed this year. It's typical. We are JSU....the traditional MOST TALENTED TEAM IN 1-AA. Bell's 8 recruits last year would have been a upgrade over the 20+ that you signed. Bell believes in quality.

As usual when I say something you decide to attack me. Just remember this during the '04 season. When I attack you it will be because of this stupid isht that you constantly spew all over the page for the last 5 years.

I'm through with this topic, because even when you try to slow the smack down on this board. It continues because you have idiotic people constantly trying to defend their shortcomings when nothing that I have said was concerning it directly relating to this topic.

This board is about opinions and healthy disscussions. Not who can piss the farthest!

:smh:

Maybe we won't contend for a title next year. That would be nice and we would like to do it but I am more concerned with rebuilding the dynasty that is JSU football. That is what I like about Bell. If Bell wanted to be selfish and get players just to win the SWAC or make it Bham, he could have done that. He could have signed 20 JUCO players rather than using 15 scholarships on HS players. He had to even stretch them out to get that many signed because we only lost 14 seniors. Next year, Bell will be able to really recruit and by that time, the last two classes will be positioning themselves to win the SWAC.

This saddens me. :smh:

Bell wanted linemen and those are hard to get. We have about 15 already on the roster recruited by Hughes and they are not the best....Bell knows this. Bell has to build this team from ground up but unless he went total JUCO, that is not possible. I like what he did because although we need immediate help, we still need to build for the future.

I think this goes back to what I was telling you months ago about Bell being at a disadvantage when it came recruiting time this season. I'm sure every prospect saw how much Bell got malinged in the press and how all the JSU fans made him a laughing stock in 03. Add that to the fact that JSU had a dismal offense with Kent, Jones and Manning still there and how the campus still looks like a warzone with all the construction and you can see why not many blue chip prospects wanted to come to Jackson.

Without doing any indepth research on these names, I would have to give JSU's class an inital grade of C minus.

Your biggest needs in my opinion were O-line, running back, D-line and fullback, in that order.

On the O-line you got about three second teir HS players but none will probably play any time soon. That Ben Davis kid has to gain another 30 pounds before he will even see the practice field.

At running back you got that JUCO stud ...and then two smurf sized guys who are skinner than me. Please tell me how you are gonna play smash mouth football with a running back who is 5'8 160 and another injury prone back who is 5'10 180. Those two are scat backs or DBs if anything. If Hayes goes down you are back to square one.

On D-line you got a two time transfer from Ark State and a big HS kid from Arkansas who will play on the interior. Hopefully the transfer will earn a spot immediately and the HS kid will compete for PT, but Bell should have tried to get a fleet footed pass rusher from the JUCO ranks. Jsu needs an outside pass rusher bad.

At fullback all you got was a HS kid from TX and that RB/ LB transfer from ARk State. Knowing how it usually takes most freshman blockers a year to adjust to the college game, the HS guy probably won't play much this year. Therefore, it looks like you will have to take the slowest of your two running backs from last year and covert him to FB.

All in all, I say this class has some pretty big holes in it.

'thrilla,

So now a top 40 recruit is a 2nd tier HS recruit??? OK. And I guess you underestimate the Ark. State transfer that enrolled this spring. Jermain Montgomery. 6'0", 220lbs. 4.5 forty. Benches 400 lbs. Squatting 630 lbs. He's dotting the I along with Hayes. Kennebrew is back and a year older. Our original starter that went out for the season on the 3rd play of the game against NW State, Brandon Cox is back, as well. We didn't need anymore big backs. We recruited based on need. Only need we didn't fill is O-line.

And as for the campus, son you need to look again. A lot has happened since September. We are about the business of getting better all the way around.

But thanks for you uninformed anaysis, as well.:tup:

Dude, I was in Jackson two weeks ago. I had some business to do in Pearl. I went by the campus on my way back and it still looked like Iraq. I tried to call you but your number changed.

BTW: Please don't act like Cox was any better than Kennebrew. And you all still need a legitimate fullback. That skinny Morris kid is not the answer.

Aight dude. I guess all that construction is a bad thing. :rolleyes:

Anyway, you may not think Cox is better than Kennebrew, but Bell did. Which is why Cox started game 1. We'll never know how good he woulda been. And with Hayes and Montgomery, Kennebrew would make a nice FB. And that FB we signed out of Texas was rated the 5th best fullback in the state of Texas by one site/publication. There are a lot of FBs in Texas HS football. He knows the position. Maybe we'll start the true freshman. Doubt it, tho.

band fan,

Please don't tell me y'all wasted your time trying to sign the 4th best FB in Texas. Dude obviously is a reach. :rolleyes: What 'thrilla would call a 2nd tier player. :rolleyes: He's really unworthy of a scholly. Don't know why Bell would sign such a player. :smh:

You all wanted us to get on here and say that with our recruits, we would win the SWAC next year. We have never said that.
Now it don't make no damn bit of sense to lie like this. :rolleyes:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Robber.. remember Thrilla said the Mike Nicholls kid would be the best ever qb at Grambling State....that is a reach considering he is unpolished.

the kid we signed from Arlington is the real deal and Montgomery was a fullback target. We have a real running backs coach so if he liked Montgomery, he is pretty good.

Originally posted by Mr. SWAC
Now it don't make no damn bit of sense to lie like this. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Robber

Just like your team sucked like hell in 2002 and came back strong in 2003, JSU will do the same from '03 to '04.

Lynch St lies........:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back