Who can set foot in your pulpit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female : for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

I am not against female leaders in the church, but I happen to read this last week in the bible and thought about this topic. What are your thoughts on this preachers? I am curious. I also realize God used the ladies at the grave for a reason.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (New International Version)

34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.
35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

I am not against female leaders in the church, but I happen to read this last week in the bible and thought about this topic. What are your thoughts on this preachers? I am curious. I also realize God used the ladies at the grave for a reason.

1 Corinthians 14:34-35 (New International Version)

34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says.
35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.

Who do they ask if they don't have husbands?

Also, I KNOW I AM NOT A PREACHER, but I believe that scripture was referring to the women in THAT church at THAT time...read the whole chapter!

According to the Bible, what is the "woman's" role in the church?

This one is easy... "Her role in the church is the same as the man's role in the church." The hard question is what is man's role in the church?

I will tell you. Jesus told us to go out and evangelize and that is what we must to. (Matt 28:19-20).

There is a difference in evangelizing and preaching the word of God. Everybody is called to evangelize but not to preach the gospel.. Once we understand that, we will get it.

AT MY CHURCH MEN. THE PULPIT IS A PLACE FOR MINISTERS. REGARDLESS IF A WOMAN CALLS HERSELF A MINISTER OR NOT SHE WILL BE ADDRESSED AS SIS AND TREATED AS SIS. MY PASTOR WILL NOT GO INTO A PULPIT IF HE IS AT A CHURCH WITH A WOMAN IN THE PULPIT.

Co-Sign...

There is a difference in evangelizing and preaching the word of God. Everybody is called to evangelize but not to preach the gospel.. Once we understand that, we will get it.
Sensei, what is the difference between envangelizing and preaching?

The only difference is location. One is on a pulpit; the other is outside the walls of the church.
People get hung up on pulpits when they need to be worried about reaching souls and actually living the life they preach about. There are men (and women, too) out there who ain't got no business in anybody's pulpit.

28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female : for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

Gal/ 3:28 - has nothing to do with Church Leadership (Preachers, Elders, Deacons). Paul, is saying to the body od beleivers, in Christ there are no racial lines. Any man (n) in Christ is brother, and I dont care about the color of his skin. Don't care if he owns his own land or a worker for the owner.

There are men (and women, too) out there who ain't got no business in anybody's pulpit.

Amen & amen

This one is easy... "Her role in the church is the same as the man's role in the church." The hard question is what is man's role in the church?

Are you talking about the "Congregation" however, in Titus, Paul outlines the some of the responsibilities of men and women.

I am waiting for someone to show the Book, Chapter and Verse, that states the qualification of a woman can be a Bishop, Pastor, Preacher.

Yes, there is a difference...

If they do not have a husband. The preacher should be knowledgeable enough to answer most questions. When I have a question, I ask the preacher or research it for myself.

I am not against women in a leadership role in the church. However, they as some men have to remain in their place. I know some men that are great singers, but they cannot preach or teach. I am a "good" teacher and preacher, but I cannot lead songs. That's not my gift, therefore I have to stay within my designates role.

Gal/ 3:28 - has nothing to do with Church Leadership (Preachers, Elders, Deacons).

And this is what people keep skipping right over in favor of spiritual gifts that don't discriminate by gender. If you look in the new testament you can see where anyone and everyone in the congregation could receive spiritual gifts but no where does it say this places them in the role of church leadership which is whats in question.

And this is what people keep skipping right over in favor of spiritual gifts that don't discriminate by gender. If you look in the new testament you can see where anyone and everyone in the congregation could receive spiritual gifts but no where does it say this places them in the role of church leadership which is whats in question.
So, a woman can preach as long as she does not do so in a church nor is she to try to LEAD a church? Is she able to start her own GROUP and preach to them as well as lead them as long as she does not call her establishment a "church" if so, sounds easy enough.

Now you know alot of people do not follow the
New Testament. They even call their giving to the the
church "tithing", so you should already expect that the rules for the establishment of the church wouldn't
always be followed.

This is where I believe the discussion tends to fall apart.

Couple that with the fact that people believe that God today has the power to hand place the people he wants, man or woman, but didn't have the power then to keep so called "chauvinistic" bible writers from interjecting their own viewpoint and you have an argument where people will never reach common ground. The basis of the word is eroded so there is no common ground to stand on for any sort of debate. Is He all powerful, or just all powerful when we want Him to be?

Read those passages that I noted, particularly Romans 16. The Bible is not chauvinistic as most believe it to be.

As I have presented in these forums before, there were plenty of women who ministered in churches as apostles and under apostolic authority in the first century. It is the Gnostics who were rebuked and disallowed to minister as women. Read the book and do a little research. It is amazing what you can find.

...I am waiting for someone to show the Book, Chapter and Verse, that states the qualification of a woman can be a Bishop, Pastor, Preacher. ...

1 Timothy Chapter 3 is as plain is the noses on our faces.

In 1 Timothy 2:11, "gunee" is the Greek term specifically used for wife. It was used to address the problem of women shouting questions and comments across the congregation during the worship time and being disruptive. This was a by-product of the Gnostics and Paul addressed it in response to Timothy's questions. [Stop disrupting the speaker and ask your husband when you get home.] In 1 Timothy 3:3 "gunaikos" is used instead and is gender-neutral. "Eitis", in verse 1, is also gender neutral. So are "episkopees" (v.1) and "episkopon" (v.2). Consequently, the translation of the passage in English follows the English rules of grammer when referring to someone objectively in the third person and takes the masculine form. In v.8 "diakonous" is the same way and means "pastor and teacher". The same gender-neutral writing is used in Ephesians 4:11 with apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors and teachers.

So, it really is all there and not chauvinistic at all.

So, a woman can preach as long as she does not do so in a church nor is she to try to LEAD a church? Is she able to start her own GROUP and preach to them as well as lead them as long as she does not call her establishment a "church" if so, sounds easy enough.

I think the chauvinistic view is that she can not be OVER a man........:xeye::lmao:

I think the chauvinistic view is that she can not be OVER a man........:xeye::lmao:

Let's be real for a minute. Pastoring is a real grind - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Very few women have the werewithal to sustain it through the transitions of life. Women are made differently from men for a reason. One of my friends used to say, "There are several days in a month when a woman just ain't fit to pastor anyone." While that might sound sexist, there is some truth to it with women as a whole ... not that we don't have our issues as men.

Now, the Gnostics were quite different. These were very aggressive women who shaved their heads (looking like men), changed their dress (looking like men), and took over (usurped) authority in some of the early churches. Yes, feminism was a problem in the early church. Why did it arise?

Initially because there were a number of women with giftings that were suppressed in their expression. Feeling stifled, they began to assert themselves a bit, found an audience, and then ego and greed took over their spirits and they had a bunch of mess in the church. Sound familiar?

When we understand that the giftings to the Body have need of expression throughout the Body and we embrace those giftings, the Church will flourish as never before.

Let's be real for a minute. Pastoring is a real grind - physically, mentally, and emotionally. Very few women have the werewithal to sustain it through the transitions of life. Women are made differently from men for a reason. One of my friends used to say, "There are several days in a month when a woman just ain't fit to pastor anyone." While that might sound sexist, there is some truth to it with women as a whole ... not that we don't have our issues as men.

Now, the Gnostics were quite different. These were very aggressive women who shaved their heads (looking like men), changed their dress (looking like men), and took over (usurped) authority in some of the early churches. Yes, feminism was a problem in the early church. Why did it arise?

Initially because there were a number of women with giftings that were suppressed in their expression. Feeling stifled, they began to assert themselves a bit, found an audience, and then ego and greed took over their spirits and they had a bunch of mess in the church. Sound familiar?

When we understand that the giftings to the Body have need of expression throughout the Body and we embrace those giftings, the Church will flourish as never before.

I understand your view. I really, really do. Naw it does not sound familiar to me. I just think that God can choose whom HE sees fit to lead his people.

One of my friends used to say, "There are several days in a month when a woman just ain't fit to pastor anyone." While that might sound sexist, there is some truth to it with women as a whole ... not that we don't have our issues as men.

That's a B.S. statement. I'm glad that you recognize that ya'll have issues as well. Because some men act like they bleed once a month EVERY month like clockwork! And let's not talk about delicate egos and insecurities that some men tend to have.
A woman can preach, teach AND lead a church with God's backing.

Are ya'll concerned about the simple act of speaking or actually holding an official leadership role (elder, deacon) in the church? If you simply wish to speak then speak and tell everyone about God, you don't have to be a leader to do that. Tony Snow spoke for the white house but he wasn't the president. And I don't understand how you seek to lead something that you don't even agree with anyway.

And if you don't call it a church then its not a church. Who gave anyone on this Earth the authority to rename what God has created?

Now you know alot of people do not follow the
New Testament. They even call their giving to the the
church "tithing", so you should already expect that the rules for the establishment of the church wouldn't
always be followed.

Exactly. Its like folk love to say "Christ died for me..." but don't have a clue what He actually died for and continue to do things as if He didn't.

I will hopefully be back to address the other posts around lunch.

Fortitude

I only agreed that there was a difference between preaching and evangelizing.

Dac.

?The Bible is not chauvinistic as most believe it to be.?

That?s true. The problem is people want to do as they please. The bible is clear on the role of every church member. I am still waiting on someone to explain why they accept certain parts of the bible and reject other parts. ]

The only teaching a person can draw from 1 Tim. Are:

A. GENERAL QUALIFICATIONS...
1. They describe what an bishop 'must be' - 1 Ti 3:2; Ti 1:7
2. A bishop must be 'a man' - 1 Ti 3:1-2; Ti 1:6; cf. 1 Ti
2:11,12; 1 Co 14:34-37
3. A bishop must be 'blameless'- 1 Ti 3:2; Ti 1:6,7
a. One against whom no evil charge can be sustained
b. Free from accusations that can be rightly proven - 1 Ti
5:19-20

B. FAMILIAL QUALIFICATIONS...
1. The husband of one wife (i.e., married) - 1 Ti 3:1; Ti 1:6
2. Ruling his own house well - 1 Ti 3:4-5
3. Having faithful children, not accused of dissipation or
insubordination - Ti 1:6

C. SPECIFIC POSITIVE QUALIFICATIONS...

Yes, it is plain as the noise on our face. No where in this scripture does it indicate that a female can preach. So, women can stand in the pulpit and call themselves Bishop, Preachers etc. In the eyes of God they are not.

Again -

My question is point out the Book Chapter and Verse that outlines the qualification of female Bishops / Preachers.

It should read: If a woman desire the office of a bishop, the she desire a good work, the wife of one husband, etc, etc, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back