White House Is Drafting An Executive Order On HBCUs, Sources Say

President Donald Trump is expected to provide historically black colleges and universities a long-awaited boost.........

Trump will sign an executive order as early as Monday, when the schools’ presidents arrive in Washington for a visit. It’s expected to significantly strengthen the office that pushes the federal government to do business with the colleges by moving it to the White House and providing it specific goals, according to those who are helping to write the document.

The potential is huge. Federal agencies have thousands of contracts with colleges, universities and think tanks worth billions of dollars, primarily for research that includes studying everything from cancer to poverty.

“It would be truly, truly historic,” said Leonard Haynes, a longtime educator who ran the office and is helping to write the executive order. “It’s part of a long time dream...none of (the other presidents) had the courage to do it.”

Though African-Americans overwhelmingly support Democrats at the polls, many education experts credit Republican leaders for helping to improve HBCUs, the common shorthand for historically black schools.

Some black college administrators say they were disappointed in President Barack Obama for not making the schools a priority and, in some cases, harming their financial health and contributing to declining enrollment with the changes he made to loan programs.

Some campuses are struggling, suffering from budget cuts, low endowments, aging facilities and fiscal mismanagement.

The schools receive money from the federal government through grants, contracts, appropriations and student aid. They received $4.7 billion in federal financial assistance in 2013, according to the latest annual report available. The money accounted for 2.8 percent of federal funds awarded to all institutions of higher education.

In the 1980s, Ronald Reagan created the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities. In 1989, George H. W. Bush established an advisory board to advise the president and the secretary of education on HBCUs.

The White House Initiative urges 32 federal agencies, including the Defense Department, Department of Agriculture and NASA, to contract with black colleges. It was initially housed at the White House but, despite its name, it is now located at the Education Department. Many experts have been advocating for it to be moved back for years. During Obama’s tenure, the initiative had a staff of six.

Trump is also likely to give federal agencies goals for how many contracts black schools should receive according to those who are helping to write the document.

Some are pushing him to to commit to a goal that HBCUs be awarded 5 percent of total federal grant, internship and cooperative agreement funding; and 10 percent of total federal contract funding awarded to colleges and universities, which would nearly double federal support to HBCUs. They also hope he will boost funding in his budget to be released mid-March.

Rep. Alma Adams, D-N.C., co-founder of the Bipartisan Congressional HBCU Caucus, said the efforts should be moved to the White House in part because she has little faith in Education Secretary Betsy DeVos.

“Let’s put it in the White House and put somebody over it who really understands the HBCU movement and what we need for these universities,” she said. “I think it will be better off there.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article134827019.html#storylink=cpy

We need folks (University President's) to organize and hire people to be on capital hill lobbying and throwing money at these people to pass legislation in our favor.
Our past DC Grambling Alumni President worked on the hill here. She took a job back in Louisiana to work for the Governer last year. I hope she is still working to help Grambling get funding.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I really hope this was Photoshop. Now I see why a few individuals were not looking straight into the camera.

17022349_1444237669002616_5997398187060186987_n.jpg

I truly hope we don't fall for the banana in the tailpipe on this. Bannon and Trump are slowly making sure they get "their" America set. Damn near old Jim Crow laws. It's a catch 22, our HBCUs need the money but at what price.

States have been the ones killing HBCUs. Cutting funding here and there. So unless they are covering what the various states have been taking away this is all for naught.

Maybe, this will make the next democratic administration actually pay attention to our schools. I would like to see an HBCU grad lead the Department of Education again.

Well, Trump pulled the banana in the tailpipe trick. Executive order had nothing to do giving funds just moving the department of HBCU oversight in a nutshell. Again no funding given out any differently than when Pres Obama was in office.

Another dog and pony show for the media black folks.

They playing chess not checkers in the White House.

Trump signs executive order on black colleges

WASHINGTON (AP) -- President Donald Trump signed an executive order Tuesday aimed at signaling his commitment to historically black colleges and universities, saying that those schools will be "an absolute priority for this White House."

HBCU presidents are hoping Congress will bolster Trump's actions to strengthen the schools with dramatically increased funding in the upcoming federal budget. They are calling for $25 billion for infrastructure, college readiness, financial aid and other priorities. Under President Barack Obama's administration, historically black colleges and universities received $4 billion over seven years.

"The next step is the budget. You cannot have mission without money," Thurgood Marshall College Fund President Johnny Taylor told reporters outside the White House after the signing ceremony.

Many of the college presidents also went to Capitol Hill on Tuesday to lobby Congress for more funding. Taylor said the $25 billion is needed to make up for years of underfunding and would cover the country's more than 100 HBCUs.

GOP lawmakers said there were currently no concrete plans for increased funding. Several of them attended meetings Tuesday that Sen. Tim Scott, R-S.C., and Rep. Mark Walker, R-N.C., arranged with HBCU presidents, GOP officials and business leaders.

Scott said he and Walker planned to personally push for more money for black colleges, and "hopefully we will be more successful than they have been in the last few years."

Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, a member of the House Budget Committee, was more skeptical.

"There is no substance at this point," she said Monday, adding that she is waiting to see the contents of Trump's executive order, and what Congress does during the budget process.

Trump's order moves the Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities from the Department of Education into the executive office of the White House. It directs the initiative to work with the private sector to strengthen the fiscal stability of HBCUS, make infrastructure improvements, provide job opportunities for students, work with secondary schools to create a college pipeline and increase access and opportunity for federal grants and contracts.

It does not specify how much federal money the colleges should receive.

Any funding coming from the federal government will have to have Republican approval, several presidents said. "We owe it to our alumni, we owe it to our students to be at the table," said Ray Belton, president of Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.

Grambling State University President Rick Gallot pointed out that more than 90 percent of the students at his Louisiana college are eligible for the federal Pell grant, and added he would like to see the program strengthened and made into a year-round opportunity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/historic...ng-financial-support-101352568--politics.html

Last edited:
Well, Trump pulled the banana in the tailpipe trick. Executive order had nothing to do giving funds just moving the department of HBCU oversight in a nutshell. Again no funding given out any differently than when Pres Obama was in office.

Another dog and pony show for the media black folks.

They playing chess not checkers in the White House.
You know who demoted that Office right? You do know our presidents basically begged for that position to not be demoted as it basically killed the office. The reason that Trump was able to pull this stunt is because the past regime left the door open.

Last edited:
Looks like another photo op. I see Tenn. State's and Paine College's Presidents in the photo. First Talladega College now this, Trump really knows how to get black folks to come to Pennsylvania Avenue.

Looks like another photo op. I see Tenn. State's and Paine College's Presidents in the photo. First Talladega College now this, Trump really knows how to get black folks to come to Pennsylvania Avenue.

Yes he does....just wave that carrot!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Dillard President Walter Kimbrough, who had been asked to speak at the event, says in a statement posted to Medium.com that he didn't get a chance to make his full remarks on what the administration can do to help HBCUs.

Kimbrough writes that the meeting with Trump in the Oval Office was a last-minute addition to the schedule.

"I’m still processing that entire experience," Kimbrough writes. "But needless to say that threw the day off and there was very little listening to HBCU presidents today - we were only given about 2 minutes each, and that was cut to one minute, so only about 7 of maybe 15 or so speakers were given an opportunity today."

According to the White House press pool report of the meeting, Trump shook hands and made small talk with the HBCU leaders as video cameras rolled and still cameras clicked.

“I don't think we've ever had this many people in the Oval Office,” Trump said to laughter. “This could be a new record, forever."

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_ro...cle_96f2bc1c-fdda-11e6-92a3-33d548aff130.html

You know who demoted that Office right? You do know our presidents basically begged for that position to not be demoted as it basically killed the office. The reason that Trump was able to pull this stunt is because the past regime left the door open.
Bush moved it to the Dept of Ed in 2002 with Executive Order 13256.

Our past DC Grambling Alumni President worked on the hill here. She took a job back in Louisiana to work for the Governer last year. I hope she is still working to help Grambling get funding.

She is....she worked for Mary Landrieu and we grew up in the same church in Grambling.

Im glad Dr wright wasnt at that photo op

I'm glad Rick "Prez" Gallot was not in the photo op as well.

I really hope this was Photoshop. Now I see why a few individuals were not looking straight into the camera.

17022349_1444237669002616_5997398187060186987_n.jpg

Alleged black intellectual leadership evident amidst the scurge on the sofa and the blind puppet behind the desk. smh What a horrible picture. There is nothing to smile about, in that photo op.

Last edited:
Dr. Ivory Toldson's view on the move from the Dept of Ed.

The White House Initiative on HBCUs is moving from the U.S. Department of Education to the Office of the White House .

Many HBCU advocates pushed for this move because they thought that it would strengthen the administrative authority of the Initiative and elevate the stature of the executive director, but there are two important factors to consider:

1. The move could have the unintended consequence of prioritizing the political functions of the office (e.g. clarifying President Trumps positions on HBCUs and other higher education issues) over the very important administrative functions (e.g. creating and locating opportunities for HBCUs across the federal government).

2. Moving the WHI-HBCUs from the Department of Education to the White House alters the strategic position of the Initiative. The Department of Education is responsible for approximately $700 million to HBCUs annually from grants, contracts, and appropriations, and more than $3 billion annually in student aid. The Office of the President is directly responsible for $0.00 of annual revenue to HBCUs.

Dr. Ivory Toldson's view on the move from the Dept of Ed.
Toldson and Dr. Haynes have a little mini press battle I see. Interesting...

Question. Did Haynes help sink Toldson's chances at SU. I heard that but wrote it off as street gossip.

Toldson and Dr. Haynes have a little mini press battle I see. Interesting...

Question. Did Haynes help sink Toldson's chances at SU. I heard that but wrote it off as street gossip.

Jsupop33 I heard the same street gossip..But I feel until HBCUS start getting serious, nothing will really change. Its almost like most HBCUS are doing the same ole things, but we all have different names, we had a few president that have exceeded but that number is small, it is like someone said, when its time to be at the table, We are never there,, but we accept the table scraps like it's the best thing since slice bread...

Back