White House Is Drafting An Executive Order On HBCUs, Sources Say

LAW DAWG

TSU LOVE
WASHINGTON — The White House is working on an executive order regarding historically black colleges and universities, according to three sources familiar with a Wednesday morning “listening session” with President Trump in commemoration of Black History Month.

It’s not clear what the executive order will do, sources with knowledge of the executive order said. But the subject turned to HBCUs when Paris Dennard, a political commentator who works on strategic communications for the Thurgood Marshall College Fund, brought up the future of HBCUs during the meeting.

......Dennard told BuzzFeed News he told the president ....... that his support of HBCUs was badly needed — especially given how HBCUs fared under the previous administration.

Since then, two sources familiar with the matter told BuzzFeed News that something was being worked on.

Another source speculated that the White House Initiative on HBCUs, housed under the US Department of Education under Obama, might be moved to be run out of the White House.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/darrensand...n-hbcus-sour?utm_term=.wfl7JDR65J#.afxxLGYwAL

Last edited:

Obama admin didn't really give a damn about HBCU's...Let's be real here. They even tried to merge the HBCU office with a K12 office and demoted the position from SES level to GS-15.

Every time we say this on Facebook, we get criticized from capers saying stuff like "Obama can't save everyone" or my favorite "Obama wasn't just the president of black America".

There have been multiple articles with HBCU presidents and others stating how he had this snobbish attitude towards HBCUs and seemed to have this condescending attitude towards our schools. When you get a biracial black man raised by his white mother and went to Ivy league schools (along with his wife) then you see why he would have that mindset

Again. Who is lobbying for HBCU's and how much $$$ are they throwing in? The problem is we keep holding the can begging for spare change while other folks are on Capital Hill making it happen.

Bush threw money at hbcu's. They have alterior motives but they will throw us some money.
The truth is our President's are morons for the most part. The reason we get over looked is we don't have the structural procedures in place. Believe me I know. I wish I could put out there but I will leave it at this. One of my roommate's from college job is to get HBCUs on the large DoD contracts. All the feedback he gets is our President's want call back. The people they have in place are incompetent and want call back and are rude. There are a few who at least have some type system in place and they get those dollars. It's sad. We need knew leadership with 21 century thinking at all 104 HBCU'S.

The job of the white house hbcu office is to lobby for and ensure that hbcus get atleast 10% of federal research dollars. With the position downgraded, the leader is unable operate effectively.

I keep telling everyone ivy league educated whitefolks aint on our side.

We need folks (University President's) to organize and hire people to be on capital hill lobbying and throwing money at these people to pass legislation in our favor.

Congress still controls the money. Any office set up by an executive order is nothing more than a lobbying "go between" for the president and congress.

According to Ivory Toldson.

Did HBCUs suffered while President Obama was in office?

Show me the numbers.

The federal government is responsible for nearly $5 billion of revenue annually to 101 HBCUs that qualify for federal support, through grants, contracts, appropriations, and student aid. Across every indicator of federal support, revenue to HBCUs increased while President Obama was in office. This data reflects the first 6 years that President Obama was in office, because the last two years are not yet available.

HBCUs received nearly $3 billion more from federal grants, contracts, and appropriations in President Obama’s first six years in office (2009-2014) than they did in President Bush’s last six years in office (2003-2008). The worst year of federal grant revenue to HBCUs under President Obama ($1.9 billion) tops the best year under President Bush ($1.7 billion).

One of President Obama’s signature achievements was expanding the Pell Grant. When President Obama entered office, HBCUs received approximately $536 million from the Pell program to support low income college students. In his third year, HBCUs received approximately $867 million. However, Congress established a series of measures in 2010 to curb federal spending on the Pell program, including setting a 6-year cap and ending support for summer school. Consequently, HBCUs lost Pell funding every year between 2010 and 2014. When accounting for profits and losses, HBCUs netted a $200 million gain in Pell during President Obama’s years in office, with a $330 million gain in occurring in his second and third year.

Federal student loans followed a similar trend. The Department of Education took steps early in President Obama’s administration to control lending, which had immediate benefits to HBCUs. In President Obama’s second year, the total amount that HBCUs received from federal student loan programs for undergraduate increased by more than $100 million. However, changes in the Federal Direct PLUS Loan Program made tens of thousands of HBCU students ineligible. Through coordinated efforts, in October 2014, the Department of Education announced revised regulations of PLUS loans, which reversed most of the changes that had a disproportionately impacted HBCUs. During the years that the changes to PLUS loans were in place, HBCUs lost approximately $55.8 million in loans. Accounting for this loss, HBCUs’ revenue from all federal student loan programs increased by $117.8 million over the years President Obama was in office.

Notwithstanding HBCUs’ success over several generations, many HBCUs have experienced financial hardships and administrative challenges. I do not challenge the myths associated with HBCUs to minimize legitimate concerns, rather to provide the best information to HBCU advocate who are genuinely interested promoting HBCU growth and sustainability.

6 additional myths about HBCUs will be addressed in my next article for The Root.

The truth is our President's are morons for the most part. The reason we get over looked is we don't have the structural procedures in place. Believe me I know. I wish I could put out there but I will leave it at this. One of my roommate's from college job is to get HBCUs on the large DoD contracts. All the feedback he gets is our President's want call back. The people they have in place are incompetent and want call back and are rude. There are a few who at least have some type system in place and they get those dollars. It's sad. We need knew leadership with 21 century thinking at all 104 HBCU'S.
You are NOT lying...see, the problem is from the initial hire. They are hiring folks who are not used to dealing with govt contract, it's greek to them and instead of HBCUs paying appropriately for the experience, they allow these yes men to "look" like they are doinng things, accept excuses and as long as they have met the "requirements" effort to maintain status quo and keep them out hte news is rewarded in job security. Got to leave that mindset and BE WINNERS.

Let me say this since I work at an HBCU and with others from HBCUs. We have a mindset, image and marketing problem #1. WE think we are inferior and everything we do echoes this. We don't hire appropriate PR folks to put our best foot forward 24/7...we get our hookup to do the job whose degree is in English not communications. WE DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHAT STRATEGIC MARKETING IS AND HOW EFFECTIVE IT CAN BE. We don't hire marketers...and it shows. THEN we are surprised at the results--nothing. Most of the good we get right now is through sheer LUCK, in most cases.

Let me say this since I work at an HBCU and with others from HBCUs. We have a mindset, image and marketing problem #1. WE think we are inferior and everything we do echoes this. We don't hire appropriate PR folks to put our best foot forward 24/7...we get our hookup to do the job whose degree is in English not communications. WE DON'T FREAKING KNOW WHAT STRATEGIC MARKETING IS AND HOW EFFECTIVE IT CAN BE. We don't hire marketers...and it shows. THEN we are surprised at the results--nothing. Most of the good we get right now is through sheer LUCK, in most cases.

You nailed this on the head.

Then again I know at Valley, you got 1 person doing literally 2-3 jobs so social media (PR) usually gets the short end of the stick (and Valley actually won an award for best use of social media from the state of MS so that's good despite having room for improvement). I'm hoping I can continue to volunteer in the future and angle my way to a job sooner or later. My degree is in communications so I would actually kind of know what I am doing considering my experience in music and promotions

We miss key opportunities to promote our schools when they present themselves like the Super Bowl.

I asked our administration one time why do we have a MBa program and we don't use the folks we are granting degrees to do marketing for us? Wouldn't giving them the opportunity to get experience and make our program stronger be a great thing? They looked at me like I was a retard or speaking Chinese. SMH!

Why do yall always want to use students to do the jobs of professionals? I saw a comment one time about using engineering students to design athletic facility additions at an HBCU. Are you F'ing CRAZY??? LOL

'Cause they're cheap labor.

Back