Where is the $420 Billion in Tithes and Offerings the Black Church has Received

CEE DOG

Wow!! Amazing.....

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blogs/where-is-the-420-billion-in

LiveSteez research shows that Black churches, in aggregate, have collected more than $420 billion in tithes and donations since 1980. With a Senate investigation into the finances of several mega churches underway, the “Prosperity Movement†has been the target of mounting criticism from inside and outside the Black Church. Specifically, the affluent ministries of The Reverend Creflo Dollar, Bishop Eddie Long and others have drawn the attention – and ire – of some clergy and laypeople alike.

Researcher Henry E. Felder’s study of Blacks’ donation habits demonstrated per capita spending of $508 per year in 2009 dollars. Another source, Tyler Media Services, estimated that Black Church revenue approached $17 billion in 2006.

One church, the Reverend Dollar’s World Changers, reported $69 million in 2006 income, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution.

Mainstream politicians and Black community leaders are demanding a better accounting of the “return on investment†offered by churches to the communities that fund them. Meanwhile, legions of faithful churchgoers defend their pastors and accuse their detractors of applying a double standard that ignores the largesse of wealthy, white televangelists, while underplaying the economic development and social service functions provided by the Black Church.

“The church has gotten caught up in materialism and greed, a lifestyle. Many ministers today want to live like celebrities and they want to be treated like celebrities. In other words, instead of the church standing with the community, the church has become self-serving. It has strayed away from its mission†according to Dr.Love Henry Whelchel, professor of church history at The Interdenominational Theological Center in Atlanta.

Few people – not even the ongoing Congressional investigation by Senator Chuck Grassley accuse the mega church pastors of outright larceny, and congregants generally approve of their pastors’ luxurious lifestyles. However, in a blatant recent example, a father-son pastor team, 76-year-old Richard Cunningham of Moreno Valley and his son, 52-year-old Philip Cunningham of Laurinburg, N.C., pleaded guilty to felony grand theft and fraud charges. The younger Cunningham also pleaded guilty to forgery. Over five years, prosecutors say, the Cunninghams stole from Calvary Baptist Yorba Linda Church and School bank accounts and used the money to buy time shares in Hawaii and Palm Springs, golf club memberships and a Cadillac. Prosecutors say the men have paid $3.1 million in restitution to the church.

LiveSteez’s investigative series will take a forensic editorial approach to quantifying the return to Black America for the $350 billion in tax-favored donations it has given to the Black Church, examining the arguments on both sides of the pulpit. In this series we will seek answers and advisory to the following questions:

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Cee,

You don't understand. The pastor had to make a few donations too and the building fund was the only funds available at the time. Plus, a lot of the money was earmarked for the BTAM fund, the Back to African Movement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LRcNswirGUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cee,

You don't understand. The pastor had to make a few donations too and the building fund was the only funds available at the time. Plus, a lot of the money was earmarked for the BTAM fund, the Back to African Movement.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LRcNswirGUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:emlaugh:

This article is so stupid. Mega Churches have megabills. If you won't want to be in a church like that, then go join a storefront church. My mom owns a store that is the size of a school classroom and the utility cost would blow most people's minds. When you have a church that big, that needs air, heat, water, grass cut, and salaried pastors, you gonna need more money. Let black folks pay tithes and run out of tissue in the bathroom, you know how they gonna act.

Not to say i agree with prosperity preachers and not to say I would ever step a foot into Dollar's or Long's church, but this sentence tells it all.. "and ire – of some clergy and laypeople alike." Translation, some people are hating.

I don't know how I would feel about my pastor living in a huge mansion, driving a bentley, etc.. but it's for those who SUPPORT those churches to be comfortable with it, not me. I have never had a "rich" pastor so I can't relate. Even my pastor in Philly gave up his salary 25 years ago so that he could hire an assistant pastor or two to help grow his church. Now he does collect a love offering because he has to live but what he does or not get paid is not my concern as long as the board of trustees are good people and approve that allocation.

..and for those hating preachers, I hope they don't think this will help their cause because all black folks need is the smallest excuse not to go, not to pay and not to support and they good. :lol: We as a race don't need any more excuses.

Seems like Black churches don't have the means to reduce their expenditures. All the people they have in Black churches with different degrees and different skill sets, they still prefer hiring others for services that their own congregation should be able to provide, unless those different degrees and skills are not enough.

Seems like Black churches don't have the means to reduce their expenditures. All the people they have in Black churches with different degrees and different skill sets, they still prefer hiring others for services that their own congregation should be able to provide, unless those different degrees and skills are not enough.

How is the congregation going to provide those services when they have full time jobs as well? And which services are you talking about?

that's where HBCUs struggle...white folks have longer money so they can pay bills, tithe and then donate ....blacks folks will pay bills, tithe and that's it.

But its not black churches also...I went to a catholic church of mixed races and they had to appeal to the masses on several occasions just to afford things such as additional air conditioning, etc...its not just us

I too don't get the fascination people, especially Black people, have with these so-called mega churches (and Black churches) and what they are/are not doing when it comes to the area of giving. We (African Americans) are the first to point out all the negative and bad things that are happening in the church and are too quick to use it as 1) an excuse not to go to church and 2) not to tithe. While I'm not naive to know that there is and has been a lot of secular conforming going on in the church, I'm also not blind to all the good things churches (Black churches) are doing and how they do give back to the Black community. While we (African Americans) are the first to point out what's bad or wrong, we are the last to recognize and publicize what's good.

Any person who truly does love God and values their walk in Christ knows that as a Believer, we are commanded by God to pay our tithes to God (not man). Further still, a genuine Believer trusts God to be who He says He is and believes that He will do what He says He will do. This is where faith kicks in. Regardless of where the money goes or who does what with the money, it is obedience to God that matters, and it truly is "better to obey than to sacrifice". The Holy Bible is full of examples of the results of disobedience to God, with the story of Saul being one of the greatest. The Bible also tells us of how God handles those who misappropriate things honored or dedicated to Him.

Even still, in 1 Corinthians, Paul left instruction to the early churches of Galatia that they are to set aside expenses for the church. It shouldn't be baffling to anyone that it takes money to upkeep the church (mega, big, or small), nor should it be baffling that not everyone will use money appropriately (in or out of church). Again, this is where faith kicks in for those who step out on faith and trust in God. Pray that your tithe and/or offering "will be used for the purpose intended", trust in God that it will be, and keep it moving.

Last edited:
Why all this "we as a Black race"? All Black people are not the same.
Today, I wouldn't give one dime to a church. I'd rather give my money to a local help agency or help the person myself.

These preachers are getting rich hand over foot off of poor people who can barely make ends meet from month to month, yet ministers fool folks into believe they'll be even more prosperous by giving away ten percent or more of their money to the minister himself. LOL!!

How is the congregation going to provide those services when they have full time jobs as well? And which services are you talking about?

Having been a member of a Black church for most of my life and working with the Board of Trustee, one thing I know for sure, most Black churches disregard most things that have anything to do with innovated technology that would save the church money. If you have an Electrical Engineer in the church, the church should seek his or her assistance on how to reduce their monthly electricity cost, which might include using technology that could reduce the church's electrical consumption by 90 to 100%, such as solar energy. If a person does that for the church, the church shouldn't have to worry if that person gives his or her 10% in tithing on a regular basis. But in most cases, most Black preachers would consider the savings as a gift, which should not be mixed up or included as part of their 10%. This is the main reason why most people that attend Black churches would rather just pay their tithes.

I too don't get the fascination people, especially Black people, have with these so-called mega churches (and Black churches) and what they are/are not doing when it comes to the area of giving. We (African Americans) are the first to point out all the negative and bad things that are happening in the church and are too quick to use it as 1) an excuse not to go to church and 2) not to tithe. While I'm not naive to know that there is and has been a lot of secular conforming going on in the church, I'm also not blind to all the good things churches (Black churches) are doing and how they do give back to the Black community. While we (African Americans) are the first to point out what's bad or wrong, we are the last to recognize and publicize what's good.

Any person who truly does love God and values their walk in Christ knows that as a Believer, we are commanded by God to pay our tithes to God (not man). Further still, a genuine Believer trusts God to be who He says He is and believes that He will do what He says He will do. This is where faith kicks in. Regardless of where the money goes or who does what with the money, it is obedience to God that matters, and it truly is "better to obey than to sacrifice". The Holy Bible is full of examples of the results of disobedience to God, with the story of Saul being one of the greatest. The Bible also tells us of how God handles those who misappropriate things honored or dedicated to Him.

Even still, in 1 Corinthians, Paul left instruction to the early churches of Galatia that they are to set aside expenses for the church. It shouldn't be baffling to anyone that it takes money to upkeep the church (mega, big, or small), nor should it be baffling that not everyone will use money appropriately (in or out of church). Again, this is where faith kicks in for those who step out on faith and trust in God. Pray that your tithe and/or offering "will be used for the purpose intended", trust in God that it will be, and keep it moving.

You can quote scriptures all you want, but let's be real, that money isn't magically disappearing or being beamed up to heaven when they collect it, it's going in their pockets. The whole premise of it is you give it to em because it's what you're "supposed" to do and don't worry about what they do with it, basically. That's why these dummies in churches like Creflo Dollar have no issue with him riding around in Phantoms, Bentleys and having million dollar houses while they struggle to buy groceries. Because that's what they're SUPPOSED to do even if they KNOW they can't afford to do it.

You can quote scriptures all you want, but let's be real, that money isn't magically disappearing or being beamed up to heaven when they collect it, it's going in their pockets. The whole premise of it is you give it to em because it's what you're "supposed" to do and don't worry about what they do with it, basically. That's why these dummies in churches like Creflo Dollar have no issue with him riding around in Phantoms, Bentleys and having million dollar houses while they struggle to buy groceries. Because that's what they're SUPPOSED to do even if they KNOW they can't afford to do it.

All one has to do is become active in the church by attending meetings and requesting monthly financial reports of all of the church's accounts. If one does that they might be surprise to find out that a lot of their faith and trust in God stops with the preacher, trustee board, and the church's secretary.

I used phrases like "any person who truly does love God and values their walk with Christ", "a genuine Believer", and "trust and obey God" for a reason.

My point is that, again, for such people who are making a genuine effort to trust and obey God do know to give a portion of their income to God. Again, yes, there are people (in the church and in corporate areas) who don't use the money for the purpose it is intended. Should that be an excuse to disobey God? For a true Believer, no. It is my belief that anyone who chooses to obey God is not a dummy. The dummies are those that put on a form of godliness and who are not using tithes in the way God would have them used. But again, for Believers, that's where faith comes into play; God will bring those wrong doers to justice.

Real faith in God has no room for the Believer to have "an issue" with pastors/preachers who live in mansions and driving expensive cars. I know that there are those who do struggle to buy groceries or pay bills; however, the fact remains that we have to trust & depend on God. He is wise enough to know that if we are to effectively carry out His purposes, He must provide for all of our needs. Others greed shouldn't justify disobedience to God. He rewards obedience to Him and punishes those who are not.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Having been a member of a Black church for most of my life and working with the Board of Trustee, one thing I know for sure, most Black churches disregard most things that have anything to do with innovated technology that would save the church money. If you have an Electrical Engineer in the church, the church should seek his or her assistance on how to reduce their monthly electricity cost, which might include using technology that could reduce the church's electrical consumption by 90 to 100%, such as solar energy. If a person does that for the church, the church shouldn't have to worry if that person gives his or her 10% in tithing on a regular basis. But in most cases, most Black preachers would consider the savings as a gift, which should not be mixed up or included as part of their 10%. This is the main reason why most people that attend Black churches would rather just pay their tithes.

Are you an electrical engineer? Just wondering why you would use that particular example as a simple service.

Everybody knows real preachers drive Bentleys, they ain't driving no cheap Cadillacs or tired Mercedes :smh:

Are you an electrical engineer? Just wondering why you would use that particular example as a simple service.

No, I'm a civil engineer. I used that example because that's one of the main excuses used by church folks for the reason why the congregation should give 10% of their annual income BEFORE TAXES or any other deduction. I have heard preachers do complete sermons on why their congregation should give their 10%. And once you introduce them to such things as green energy to save electricity cost, they look at you like you are crazy. How can we expect our kids in the church take a serious approach on innovated technologies when our church leaders discourage such thinking. Most of us seek out a church based on how well the preacher can preach and how well the church choir can sang. We rarely seek out a church on how well the church allows its members to work for the church.

Give and it shall be given unto you pressed down and running over. LOL!! These are the kinds of words preachers LOVE to quote when they're stalking gullible folks for money, when they know those folks can barely pay their bills.:smh:

If there's a real all-powerful god, why would he need men to pay his bills? LOL!! That reminds me of a pimp or somebody on welfare.

What is even funnier to me is that Black folks will quote Malachi (would a man rob God) and quote parts of the law on tithing from the OT, but then tell you they can eat pork because that is in the OT and those laws are done away with. Even though Heb 7 says only the Levitical priest can accept a tithe. So unless that person on Sunday can trace his lineage back to Levi, he better take this free will offering (as done everywhere in the NT) and keep it moving. How much people give is their backing of the mission of the church. If you are trying to do more than people can afford to support, you are doing too much. But these churches hold the people hostage. These preachers are good at pulling the fast one on people.

I used phrases like "any person who truly does love God and values their walk with Christ", "a genuine Believer", and "trust and obey God" for a reason.

My point is that, again, for such people who are making a genuine effort to trust and obey God do know to give a portion of their income to God. Again, yes, there are people (in the church and in corporate areas) who don't use the money for the purpose it is intended. Should that be an excuse to disobey God? For a true Believer, no. It is my belief that anyone who chooses to obey God is not a dummy. The dummies are those that put on a form of godliness and who are not using tithes in the way God would have them used. But again, for Believers, that's where faith comes into play; God will bring those wrong doers to justice.

Real faith in God has no room for the Believer to have "an issue" with pastors/preachers who live in mansions and driving expensive cars. I know that there are those who do struggle to buy groceries or pay bills; however, the fact remains that we have to trust & depend on God. He is wise enough to know that if we are to effectively carry out His purposes, He must provide for all of our needs. Others greed shouldn't justify disobedience to God. He rewards obedience to Him and punishes those who are not.

Christ and the disciples worked where ever they went. Outside of the Levitical priests, please show me in the Word where someone gets to earn a living off the Bible. How can you charge for what was given to you freely? Salvation is a gift, not a commodity to be sold. Every man should have a job and preaching aint it.

What is even funnier to me is that Black folks will quote Malachi (would a man rob God) and quote parts of the law on tithing from the OT, but then tell you they can eat pork because that is in the OT and those laws are done away with. Even though Heb 7 says only the Levitical priest can accept a tithe. So unless that person on Sunday can trace his lineage back to Levi, he better take this free will offering (as done everywhere in the NT) and keep it moving. How much people give is their backing of the mission of the church. If you are trying to do more than people can afford to support, you are doing too much. But these churches hold the people hostage. These preachers are good at pulling the fast one on people.

I'm Still baffled how people give money to the church and call it tithing, completely ignoring what the Bible says about the tithe, or how
todays Christians are supposed to give. No one will read the link I posted but it's from the Bible that they claim to love and follow, maybe
they just take whatever pastor they have word for it, being to painful to understand that their pastor is wrong. :noidea:

All one has to do is become active in the church by attending meetings and requesting monthly financial reports of all of the church's accounts. If one does that they might be surprise to find out that a lot of their faith and trust in God stops with the preacher, trustee board, and the church's secretary.

LOL, you do realize that even the state here had to battle those megachurches and still weren't able to get access to their financial reports right?

Back