What Are The 5 Most Recognized Bands In Hbcu?

Originally posted by BayouBandit03
This is a matter of opinion on behalf of all of us here. This thread asked our opinion on the top 5 bands and thats what we are doing giving our opinion. Since some of you all claim to be educated why don't you do research to really find out.....Is it Southern......Grambling......FAMU...... or Jackson. Do research to find out and just becuz you are or was in the band doesn't give you the ground work to give a fact. It will still be your opinion.

I agree with JR FAMU is the most known.

I think just like Grambling/Southern match up for the Bayou Classic for braggin rights. World Famed and the Marching 100 should duke it out for who is the most well known bragging rights.
Becuz these two bands set the style for the rest to follow.

I know this is off topic, but don't get carried away, FAMU and GSU didn't set nothing for SU to follow!!! If anything most bands are following SU's lead....

Keep it real!!!

Originally posted by JR
FAMU thanks to Dr. Foster no doubt is the most recognizable HBCU band. Everybody knows about FAMUs Marching 100. They did it first for HBCU bands and got their name out there before Hutch and the World Famed along with Eddie Robinson got GSU out there.

Everybody where..Florida, South east region?

Originally posted by SUtrp96
I know this is off topic, but don't get carried away, FAMU and GSU didn't set nothing for SU to follow!!! If anything most bands are following SU's lead....

Keep it real!!!

Bruh be real if it wasn't for FAMU and GSU then none of this would be going on in my opinion. I can remember where Grambling was sent over seas as Ambassadors of Good Will

Originally posted by MACHIAVELLI
Everybody where..Florida, South east region?

Nationally. I've got some family in Cali and New York that only knew about FAMU as a black band. FAMU has a larger name. GSU is a REALLY close 2nd but EVERYONE knows about FAMU.

Originally posted by ms.sonic96
1. Grambling
2. Famu
3. SU
4. JSU
5. don't know

but if you asked a white person this question....3,4, and 5 would be really hard...

The question that I often ask of whites all over America (CA, TX, MI, IL, OH, VA, NY, GA, NC, FL, AL, MS, LA, DE, DC, MD) who watch marching bands is which 5 would they recommend a student attend. My non-scientific poll is:
  1. FAMU
  2. Jackson State
  3. NC A&T
  4. Southern
  5. BCC
    [/list=1]
    Criteria: marching, concert, jazz, theory, composition/arranging, and (opt) orchestra. The responses roll out without hesitation. I happen to agree with that order.

The original question had to do with "...NATIONALLY KNOWN THROUGH OUT AMERICA AND HAS GREAT SUPPORT NO MATTER WHAT..." I am assuming that the evaluation is restricted to marching band at this point. To that, my own answers are:
    1. FAMU
    2. Grambling
    3. Southern
    4. Jackson State
    5. BCC
      [/list=1]

BCC is only #5 because it is the only private school among the 5 and has the lowest enrollment year-to-year. Consequently, it get's knocked down a notch in the "support" area.

Hey...that's my crab year...and I DON'T REMEMBER THAT!!! You must be talking about 86!!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
They musically blew the he!! out of us in Mobile's BOTBs 87. :nod2:

I'm gettin' Old

Yeah,....you are right again!!!! That was the year we played "Word Up". That was the first time I ever saw Joe Miller in a panic. It was not his night!!!!

Originally posted by World Famed
Bruh be real if it wasn't for FAMU and GSU then none of this would be going on in my opinion. I can remember where Grambling was sent over seas as Ambassadors of Good Will
It was in 1972, the band went to Liberia, Africa as ambassadors of good will chosen by the president of that country and escourted by the first lady Mrs. Nixon to tour the country.

Originally posted by lilC
Nationally. I've got some family in Cali and New York that only knew about FAMU as a black band. FAMU has a larger name. GSU is a REALLY close 2nd but EVERYONE knows about FAMU.

What about Oregon, Las Vegas, Maine, South Dakota, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, Colorado, New Jersey, Washington state. I truly believe you think that FAMU is the most popular, nationally recogonized marching band. Nothing is wrong with thinking that way.

Originally posted by lilC
Who do you think was the first HBCU to play year after year in the Whitney Young Classic in N.Y.?????

One thing that's a fact,.... From Flatbush to the Polar Grounds and 125th street in between. NEW YORKERS know Grambling!!!!

Originally posted by Legend35
Who do you think was the first HBCU to play year after year in the Whitney Young Classic in N.Y.?????

One thing that's a fact,.... From Flatbush to the Polar Grounds and 125th street in between. NEW YORKERS know Grambling!!!!

The one's in my family and others I spoke too didn't. Dang. Is it that serious?:confused:

Back