Vowels: Legion Field Upper Deck to be torn down. Dome on the way?

Bartram said:
For the ASU-Montgomery/Alabama TSPNers who knee-jerked to my observations concerning Montgomery. Now when I entered this thread, i know your knee-jerk is because I'm a Tuskegee grad and you think I was going off on this Montgomery tangent because it is the home town of ASU, some kind of slight or slap at ASU, blah, blah, blah. you don't know how to separate the school pride stuff from strictly economic development discussions.
You are really out there!!!! Seriously!!!!
:smh:

HORNETSWARM said:
DAHILL, the city of Calera is the fastest growing city in the state period. Look at the newest census that came out about a month ago. And Bartram, since the mayor and Alvin Holmes solved the problem with the festival, this shows that the city of Montgomery is moving along with it's city council. We can work out problems in this city unlike other cities in this state. And also DAHILL, when Huntsville becomes centrally located on I-65, then H'ville can make some argurments. The state didn't think H'ville was important enough to run I-65 through it. You'll are missing a lot of money that cities like B'ham, Montgomery and Mobile takes in. Maybe, you'll need to build another downtown on I-65. :flamethro

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
by HORNETSWARM

And also DAHILL, when Huntsville becomes centrally located on I-65, then H'ville can make some argurments. The state didn't think H'ville was important enough to run I-65 through it. You'll are missing a lot of money that cities like B'ham, Montgomery and Mobile takes in. Maybe, you'll need to build another downtown on I-65.

If you had taken some time to think about the history of that North Alabama area, you would not have said that. Just think about it before you answer.

HORNETSWARM said:
DAHILL, if H'ville built I-565 going through the city disregarding Redstone. Why in the hell I-65 wouldn't do the same. Just remember that people are moving away from H'ville despite the high-tech park "hoopla". It will take you'll (17) years to catch up with even Mobile's city population. Again, the city of Calera is the fastest growing city in Bama and the second fastest city is Millbrook which is connected to growing*****Montgomery. Hell! we have toll-roads in metro Montgomery. :nod2:

moving away from Huntsville? They are moving to SUBURBS which are 2 miles outside of city limits, so what are you talking about. Put Huntsville's metro area against Montgomery's metro area.

yeah, yeah MH, yeah, yeah.

let me ask yall this seriously, especially any AAMUers who may be urban planning/economic development majors.

i looked at this Pike Road annexation in the newspaper; you don't see the map in the URL link.

,,,,,, are you kidding me??????? HOW IN THE HELL IS IT THAT PIKE ROAD PUSHED THROUGH THIS "SPOT" ANNEXATION?!!!!! I THOUGHT THERE WAS A LAW IN ALABAMA THAT SAID YOU COULD ONLY ANNEX CONTIGUOUS LAND!!!!! I REMEMBER WHEN SOME CITY IN ALABAMA WAS BLASTED FOR "LONG LASSO" ANNEXATION (where you annex a few feet of land running along a highway or railroad tracks to a location that you wanted to annex in order to annex that property.)!!! (i think it was B'ham maybe?? Courtland? i dunno,, i know it was a racial issue in that the city was predominantly black that was trying to annex and surrounding unincorporated predominantly white areas blocked it.) Look at the map in the newspaper. Pike Road has annexed "islands" of property! how can this be??!!!

to whoever that was with the "eat your heart out",,, it's not about that. please.

Oracle said:
If you had taken some time to think about the history of that North Alabama area, you would not have said that. Just think about it before you answer.

Not so fast my friend. I have to go with Hornetswarm on this one. Huntsville WAS bypassed by the interstate system when it was being designed because at the time it was thought that Decatur was going to be "the big city". Huntsville was nothing but a cotton gin town of roughly 15K in the 1950s.

Now obviously Vauhgn Braun/the Germans and the space race and then the U.S. military changed all that over night,, but by then I-65 was on paper going closer to Decatur and totally ignoring Huntsville. The worm turns though. Huntsville single-handedly got an I-65 spur and is pushing hard for and will likely get a major east-west limited access Memphis to Atlanta highway like Corridor X (errr I-22) from Memphis to Birmingham. There has been talk of an "I-65E" that would run through Huntsville (like I-35E and I-35W in the DFW area that run through Fort Worth and Dallas), but as usual being in a slow/no growth state like Alabama with relatively little clout to bring home the pork in D.C. this project never gained traction and was put on the back burner indefinitely.

Montgomery is not sitting by idlely though what with moves under way to extend I-65 west to Mississippi. This is sorely needed. there is no good route from MS/west Bama to Montgomery other than U.S. 80 which is still being 4-laned between Selma and the MS line.

DAHILL said:
moving away from Huntsville? They are moving to SUBURBS which are 2 miles outside of city limits, so what are you talking about. Put Huntsville's metro area against Montgomery's metro area.
LOL, Hornetswarm even I stayed in Madison last year. It's very nice, but I preferred having closer commute to campus. If I was out of school, I would most likely still be staying in Madison. Everybody that stays in Madison works in the city of Huntsville.

Mr. SWAC said:
LOL, Hornetswarm even I stayed in Madison last year. It's very nice, but I preferred having closer commute to campus. If I was out of school, I would most likely still be staying in Madison. Everybody that stays in Madison works in the city of Huntsville.

Most people that stay in Athens, Decatur, Madison, Harvest, Toney, Hazel Green, Limestone County, and New Market work in Huntsville. All of these cities are 15 minute and under drives from Huntsville. Madison basically starts where the Space and Rocket Center is.

DAHILL said:
Most people that stay in Athens, Decatur, Madison, Harvest, Toney, Hazel Green, Limestone County, and New Market work in Huntsville. All of these cities are 15 minute and under drives from Huntsville. Madison basically starts where the Space and Rocket Center is.

Point well taken.

cat daddy said:
What kind of thinking is this? If white people eat there, then it is not ghetto? Hell, I see white folks in the Chicken Shack here in Baton Rouge and that place is ghetto.

And lineup all the way around the corner of washington st. to eat at snowflakes. But than again this is south louisiana.:lmao:

Bartram said:
Not so fast my friend. I have to go with Hornetswarm on this one. Huntsville WAS bypassed by the interstate system when it was being designed because at the time it was thought that Decatur was going to be "the big city". Huntsville was nothing but a cotton gin town of roughly 15K in the 1950s.

You are basically right, but I would not described it as "by-passing" Huntsville. When the interstate system was designed in the early to late fifties, the State decided to run it near the largest city in North Alabama, which, at the time, was Decatur. Huntsville was nothing more that a little farming town while the area around Decatur had almost 50,000. It made sense to run the interstate nearer to that area.

Huntsville did not start any real growth until the Army located the Red Stone Arsenal there sometimes around '46. Huntsville did not really take off until the Army located other missle and command operations there, and the government created Marshall Space Flight Center, both of which occurred in the late fifties, early to mid-sixties. So, it is not correct to knock Huntsville by saying the State bypassed it with the original interstate system; Huntsville was simply too small a town to need the system at the time the interstate system was created.

If the State had to design a system through North Alabama today, it would certainly run it through Huntsville. Note: The Atlanta to Memphis Highway is slated to come near Huntsville.

Back