Vowels: Legion Field Upper Deck to be torn down. Dome on the way?

mighty hornet said:
ummm DAHILL,
So, since he can't name the area, you're actually gonna say that Huntsville doesn't have any dirt. Man, get real. :smh:

Heck, I've been to Huntsville too. What I saw wasn't all upscale either.

compare it to Montgomery.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
mighty hornet said:
so are you backing down off the Huntsville has no dirt?

Huntsville has no GHETTO areas... no run down decapitated housing areas.... nothing at all like the area around Alabama State and the area where Top Flight/The Rose and the African head shop is... nothing like Ridgecrest, Tulane Court (may be torn down now)....

we have places stuff go down, but YOU woulndt see it because they deep off in neighborhoods, not on any main streets. All I ask homeboy was what area was he in... I didnt ask for the specific name of it... hell he could say I was beside a Wal Mart.

DAHILL said:
Huntsville has no GHETTO areas... no run down decapitated housing areas....

.....we have places stuff go down, but YOU woulndt see it because they deep off in neighborhoods, not on any main streets....

First off, I'm LMAO @ "decapitated" housing. :lol:

But now I see you have backed EVEN FURTHER away from your statement that Huntsville has no bad areas. :eek: Now the bad areas are "deep off in neighborhoods". LMAO ! ! !

Give it up man. :smh:

Deuce said:
First off, I'm LMAO @ "decapitated" housing. :lol:

But now I see you have backed EVEN FURTHER away from your statement that Huntsville has no bad area. :smh: Now the bad areas are "deep off in neighborhoods". LMAO ! ! !

Give it up man. :smh:

Dope is in every city...Montgomery is full of EYESORES... you know it and I know it too. Huntsville is the opposite. Does Montgomery still have its own version of the show "COPS" called MPD Blue????

DAHILL said:
Huntsville has no GHETTO areas...
nothing ghetto huh?
:(
keep in mind it was you who reported that stuff about how at a Huntsville beauty shop, women can get a hairdo on credit and not pay until payday.

keep in mind it was you who reported that stuff about a restaurant in Huntsville serving koolaid

mighty hornet said:
nothing ghetto huh?
keep in mind it was you who reported that stuff about how at a Huntsville beauty shop, women can get a hairdo on credit and not pay until payday.

keep in mind it was you who reported that stuff about a restaurant in Huntsville serving koolaid

the beauty shop is in a NICE area... and the FAST food restaurant serves kool aid... WHAT IS YOUR POINT???? And also I said no GHETTO areas. What does kool aid or a beauty shop have to do with a ghetto area? I am sure you have kool aid at your house... does that make you ghetto? Now how many blue, red, orange, white head females do you see in Monrtgomery Mall on any given Saturday that acutally DYE their hair with kool aid... How many high top fades (yes even in this century) do you STILL see in MOntgomery... Bottom line you cant compare Montgomery to Huntsville... Montgomery is too far behind. ANOTHER reason the Governor (which resides in Montgomery) has said many times that Huntsville is a model city for every city in Alabama to live up to.

DAHILL said:
the beauty shop is in a NICE area... and the FAST food restaurant serves kool aid... WHAT IS YOUR POINT????
:smh:

Now how many blue, red, orange, white head females do you see in Monrtgomery Mall on any given Saturday that acutally DYE their hair with kool aid... How many high top fades (yes even in this century) do you STILL see in MOntgomery
I don't live in Montgomery, so I don't see any and about dyeing hair with kool aid (if that's what they do) , does that "make them ghetto" and what does Montgomery have to do with this. You were the one who said Huntsville was without dirt.
ANOTHER reason the Governor (which resides in Montgomery) has said many times that Huntsville is a model city for every city in Alabama to live up to.
so if the Governor also says that Univ of Alabama is the model school for every school in Alabama to live up to does that suppose to make it legit?

bottom line, any city, any town, any village will have some dirt. Stop trying to pass Huntsville off as if it doesnt.

DAHILL, the main thing that you need to know, is that Huntsville lost population according to the 2000 census. Montgomery gained population and became the second largest city in the state behind B'ham. According to the census report, it would take Huntsville (17) years to catch up with the third largest city which is now Mobile. It doesn't seem like people are moving to H'ville. Anytime a major city in the U.S. looses population less federal dollars are given to those cities and more money is given to those like growing ***** Montgomery. We are number one in job growth and new businesses.

HORNETSWARM said:
DAHILL, the main thing that you need to know, is that Huntsville lost population according to the 2000 census. Montgomery gained population and became the second largest city in the state behind B'ham. According to the census report, it would take Huntsville (17) years to catch up with the third largest city which is now Mobile. It doesn't seem like people are moving to H'ville. Anytime a major city in the U.S. looses population less federal dollars are given to those cities and more money is given to those like growing ***** Montgomery. We are number one in job growth and new businesses.

First of all that census number was challenged by the mayor, and it was determined that it was an undercount... Second of all, HUNTSVILLE HAS SUBURBS... something that Montgomery doesnt really have... we have nice size cities on the outskirts of Huntsville that are growing everyday... they are just like 3 minute drives from Huntsville...Madison is the fastest growing city in the state...it is a minute outside of the city limits. They just built a HUGE high school (Bob Jones) and it is already overcrowded with close to 3,000 students, there are talks of building another large high school in Madison. Same thing with Harvest/Toney where Sparkman High School is... they are about to build another high school...There are too many places around Huntsville to live and everyone wants to live in the newer communities. You have Harvest, Toney, Madison, New Market, Hazle Green, Athens. Then you have Decatur which is a 15-20 minute drive which is also a pretty nice size suburb. Put Huntsville Metro population against Montgomery Metro... Decatur is probably larger than Prattville, Wetumpka, Elmore combined.

Exhibit A and B of the beginning of the end for Montgomery

Getting back with you people who are speaking with me on the issue of Montgomery, here's is a prime example of why I contend Montgomery's days are numbered and a prime example of why I say what I say:

Mayor: Blacks invited to festivity talks

By Jannell McGrew
Montgomery Advertiser
Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright insists he asked numerous leaders of the black community to be involved in the city's 50th anniversary of the bus boycott, and he has the list of invitations to prove it.
Bright's response came a week after the city's black leaders blasted the Mont gomery mayor for "leaving the black community out" of the citywide observance.

Mayor: Blacks invited to festivity talks

Holmes, Bright settle standoff

By Jannell McGrew
Montgomery Advertiser
The fiery standoff between black elected officials and Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright concerning the city's bus boycott anniversary plans appeared over Thursday night, after a late-evening compromise ended with a written agreement between feuding parties.

Holmes, Bright settle standoff

It is non-sensical bullcrap like this always being stirred up by Holmes that will be the key in dividing Montgomery like Birmingham is divided. This is a prelude to advocating for a black mayor which will further divide Montgomery and hasten the "us against them" mindset that has beset Birmingham the last 50 years.

Now this is fine with me that Montgomery wants black leadership blah, blah, blah. i'm just saying Montgomery will go the exact same way of Birmingham PRECISELY BECAUSE of the way this will come about and this kind of political bullskit.

To me, not only the white people in Alabama are stupid and backwards, but so are the black (liberal) leadership that makes its bread and butter on stupid skit like this. (you know,,, it is AMAZING to me that Montgomery leaders, black, white, liberal, conservative, came together enought to pull off something like Hyundai!)

Are you kidding me?????? Are you telling me these people raise all this mess about something like this with a mayor, mind you, who is about the best option moderate and liberal blacks and whites in the region have?????? and you got guys like Holmes still up to his same ole BS like this??????? This guy is no better than Emory Folmar.

You mark my words, these people involved in this non-sense will be leading the effort to oust Bright for a black mayor come the next election or two and this will lead to exactly what I said originally in this thread.

This is just plain stupid non-sense. It's like these people have nothing better to do than to come up with some crap like this. I just don't understand it. Bright is a liberal mayor who blacks and enough moderate/liberal whites supported to oust Emory Folmar. The silent majority of whites will see this,, see Holmes continue to run his bully pullpit and get his way,, tail-wag the dog,, and they'll do exactly like the whites in Birmingham did; move the ellh out of Montgomery and start their own cities and battle with Montgomery about every and anything.

DAHILL, the city of Calera is the fastest growing city in the state period. Look at the newest census that came out about a month ago. And Bartram, since the mayor and Alvin Holmes solved the problem with the festival, this shows that the city of Montgomery is moving along with it's city council. We can work out problems in this city unlike other cities in this state. And also DAHILL, when Huntsville becomes centrally located on I-65, then H'ville can make some argurments. The state didn't think H'ville was important enough to run I-65 through it. You'll are missing alot of money that cities like B'ham, Montgomery and Mobile takes in. Maybe, you'll need to build another downtown on I-65. :flamethro

mighty hornet said:
nothing ghetto huh?

Man you must be talking about Soul Burger. I'm from Mobile, and that place ain't ghetto by a long shot. They are just a black owned burger joint, and about 1/2 of their customers are white. Now you know if it was ghetto the whites would stay clear, and go accross the street to the Subway.

Now with the hair shop, just seems like technology has been put to use.

HORNETSWARM said:
DAHILL, the city of Calera is the fastest growing city in the state period. Look at the newest census that came out about a month ago. And Bartram, since the mayor and Alvin Holmes solved the problem with the festival, this shows that the city of Montgomery is moving along with it's city council. We can work out problems in this city unlike other cities in this state. And also DAHILL, when Huntsville becomes centrally located on I-65, then H'ville can make some argurments. The state didn't think H'ville was important enough to run I-65 through it. You'll are missing alot of money that cities like B'ham, Montgomery and Mobile takes in. Maybe, you'll need to build another downtown on I-65. :flamethro

lmao@the state didnt think Huntsville was important enough.... ***** get for real....How in the hell are we missing money that you are getting... WHEN THERE IS MORE MONEY HERE.... Montgomery doesnt have ANYTHING Huntsville doesnt have... MANY Fortune 500 companies find Huntsville without it being on 65, we have MORE sports teams than Montgomery does (looks like it was easier for them to find Huntsville with it not being on 565. THE SECOND LARGEST RESEARCH PARK IN THE NATION behind Silicon Valley... (damn we not on I 65)....Plus the city of Huntsville has the HIGHEST average income salary than any of the 3 other major cities in the state.

I was told (Bartram may be able to jusify it)... the reason 65 doesnt run through Huntsville is because they didnt want Redstone Arsenal to be located right off of a major interstate for security porposes.... I dont know if it is true or not.... but MANY companies are finding Huntsville through 565

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Mr. SWAC said:
Man you must be talking about Soul Burger. I'm from Mobile, and that place ain't ghetto by a long shot. They are just a black owned burger joint, and about 1/2 of their customers are white. Now you know if it was ghetto the whites would stay clear, and go accross the street to the Subway.

Now with the hair shop, just seems like technology has been put to use.

What kind of thinking is this? If white people eat there, then it is not ghetto? Hell, I see white folks in the Chicken Shack here in Baton Rouge and that place is ghetto.

cat daddy said:
What kind of thinking is this? If white people eat there, then it is not ghetto? Hell, I see white folks in the Chicken Shack here in Baton Rouge and that place is ghetto.
Soul Burger aint in the hood... matter of fact its not even in NorthWest Huntsville... its in the white part of Huntsville....word is they are about to build one in NorthWest Huntsville though. So its hood because they serve Kool Aid??? They have other drinks available, I just PREFER getting the Kool Aid... it aint like it poured straight out of a kool aid pitcher, it has its on machine just like the other drinks.

cat daddy said:
No that is not what I said. Apparently we have TWO different definitions of ghetto. What's ghetto to me, I wouldn't want to be around those areas. And neither would you. I'm saying the ghetto I know, no one would want to be around. What's considered ghetto to me, white folks don't come around. Now we are talking about bad areas in Huntsville. Not fashion-sense ghetto.

Orlando could suffer same fate as Birmingham

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...904aug29,1,3173479.column?coll=tf-main-sports

Mike Bianchi

The first frightening thought that flashed through Tom Mickle's brain was, "Are we next?"

Are we on our way to becoming -- horrors! -- Birmingham?

The news last week of the University of Alabama ending its storied 75-year tradition of playing selected football games in Birmingham's dilapidated Legion Field hit home (and home stadium) with Mickle. As the executive director of Florida Citrus Sports and the Capital One Bowl, Mickle warns that Orlando is on the same football flight path as Birmingham: Nose diving into irrelevance.

"A bell rang in my head immediately when I saw the story about Birmingham," Mickle said. "The parallel between that city and ours is scary, really."

Birmingham's Legion Field was once fondly called the "Old Gray Lady," but now she's just the "Old Dead Woman." There used to be a huge banner proclaiming the stadium as "The Football Capital of the South." Now, sadly, Legion Field is the "Football Cemetery of the South." The Crimson Tide leaving was its last gasp. Every vestige of big-time football has been buried.

And, meanwhile, Orlando's aged Citrus Bowl is on life support -- along with this city's future as a viable market for big-time football games. Last week, Orlando learned its financial bid to host the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship Game was well below what other cities offered, and Jacksonville easily won the bid.

But not getting future events isn't what concerns Mickle most. He's more worried about losing the events we already have, like the highly successful Capital One Bowl and the Florida Classic -- the lucrative annual football game between Florida A&M and Bethune-Cookman.

Our city and county leaders better not sit there all cocky and complacent, thinking we can get by with the status quo. That's what Birmingham thought. Birmingham used to have a bowl game that's now in Tampa. Birmingham used to have the Southeastern Conference Championship Game that's now in Atlanta. Birmingham used to have the annual Auburn-Alabama game that's now back on the campuses of both schools. Now, Birmingham has nothing.

"Jacksonville has been aggressive in going after events, and if we don't think they're going to come after the Florida Classic, we're crazy," Mickle says. "And the Peach Bowl has already let it be known that they would love to have the [SEC-Big Ten] tie-in that the Capital One Bowl now has."

In fact, Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delaney and SEC boss Michael Slive have already given the Capital One Bowl notice: Upgrade the 68-year-old stadium or downgrade your game.

"Both commissioners told us," Mickle said, "that there has to be a renovation to our stadium to make future games viable. Our stadium doesn't have to be brand new or state of the art, but it does have to be competitive to maintain what we currently have."

Which is why Mickle is still trying to rally community support to give the Citrus Bowl a $50 million face-lift.

But why stop there? Orlando is right in the middle of the most football-fanatical state in the nation. Why not build a state-of-the-art domed stadium and go after the NFL?

"We have the best airport, we have the best hotels, we have the best convention center and the best attractions," Mickle says. "The only thing holding us back is our stadium. If we had a nice stadium, we'd get things we can't even dream about now. Maybe someday we could get an NFL team. Maybe someday we could host a Super Bowl.

"I firmly believe if we build it they will come."

And if we don't, they will leave.

Just ask the old woman buried in Birmingham.

DAHILL, if H'ville built I-565 going through the city disregarding Redstone. Why in the hell I-65 wouldn't do the same. Just remember that people are moving away from H'ville despite the high-tech park "hoopla". It will take you'll (17) years to catch up with even Mobile's city population. Again, the city of Calera is the fastest growing city in Bama and the second fastest city is Millbrook which is connected to growing*****Montgomery. Hell! we have toll-roads in metro Montgomery. :nod2:

why you cats even get into debates with this kid about which cities are better lol....next you guys will debating which air is cleaner.......

For the ASU-Montgomery/Alabama TSPNers who knee-jerked to my observations concerning Montgomery. This is what I was trying to tell you in the previous posts. I specifically pointed out how upstart cities around Montgomery would soon landlock Montgomery annexation. One of the first names I mentioned was Pike Road. I told yall this was going to happen and here is the first phase of many to come.

Governor signs Pike Road legislation

Now when I entered this thread, i know your knee-jerk is because I'm a Tuskegee grad and you think I was going off on this Montgomery tangent because it is the home town of ASU, some kind of slight or slap at ASU, blah, blah, blah. you don't know how to separate the school pride stuff from strictly economic development discussions. you pounced on me with all your "bah-humbug"s and scoffing like I'm just running smack. well,,, here it is for you just like I was saying is happening and is going to continue to happen especially as Montgomery continues to become more black/lib/dem (it's about 40-50% now right?) and soon will have a black mayor. I'm telling you,,, look for an effort from east Montgomery to de-annex and form its own city; it may fail, but look for it,, maybe in 20 or so years,, depending on how politics and social trends go.

I told you,, Montgomery would experience the SAME EXACT THING that Birmingham experienced,, and this is the first ominus signs. Now prepare to hear the same thing from Snowdoun, Hope Hull, Waugh, etc (as soon as they incorportate). suburban cities and natural obstacles will combine to choke off Montgomery's tax revenue from expanded city limits/incorporated areas (as the metro vulcanizes just like the Birmingham metro area) just as I was telling yall originally.

Here's the article:
Governor signs Pike Road legislation

Gov. Bob Riley Friday signed into law local legislation passed by the Legislature that will allow the annexation of several communities into the town of Pike Road, according to a statement released to the press by the governor's office today.

Before signing the measure into law, Riley met with area lawmakers, who voiced their unanimous support for the measure. Riley also met with Mayor Bobby Bright and members of the Montgomery City Council.

The legislation was hotly contested by Bright, who fears the annexation will stunt Montgomery's growth. The mayor had approached the governor about not signing the legislation.

Here's the complete article. Read very carefully and note the concerns of Bright. Exactly what I was saying.

Annex plan gets Riley's approval

Gov. Bob Riley signed a bill Monday allowing the annexation of several subdivisions into the town of Pike Road, but the issue is not over for Montgomery Mayor Bobby Bright and some residents who may have been annexed against their will.

Pike Road's population more than doubled on Monday with Riley's approval, but not everybody is happy about the passage of the legislation, which allows the town to spot annex several developments and communities in eastern Montgomery County.

"This mayor still feels this was an illegal annexation," said Michael Briddell, executive assistant to Bright. "He is adamant to protect the growth of the city even though that legislation is going to be signed. I doubt the issue is over."

Bright and other city officials fear the legislation will landlock the city to the east and stop Montgomery's growth, dealing a significant financial blow to the city in coming years.

Briddell said they mayor has turned the issue over to the city's legal department. City attorneys will analyze the legislation and advise the mayor on possible action, he said.

Bright talked to Riley several times, including Monday morning, and asked him not to sign the legislation. He asked state legislators to discourage Riley from approving the legislation.

Bright and Riley could not be reached for comment on Monday.

Pike Road Mayor Gordon Stone said he is excited about Riley signing the bill and the local legislators supporting it.

"They stood up for the wishes of the people of Pike Road who wanted to have the opportunity to chose which municipality they would be incorporated into," Stone said. "The local legislative committee supported self-determination and that has always been a hallmark of democracy."

Stone said they followed "every legal requirement."

"We feel like we approached this the right way," he said. "Any other representation is a misrepresentation. Everything we were trying to do was positive for the people of Pike Road."

Jane Drake, who lives on Old Pike Road, said she was annexed without her approval and is working with others to hire an attorney to fight the annexation.

"I'm so sick about it and I don't know what to do," Drake said. "This has just made me feel like passing out. I am so mad."

Drake, who has lived in the community since 1981, said three people approached her in the spring and she told them she was not interested in being annexed by Pike Road. She said she is very involved in the community, but wants to live in a rural setting.

Drake said she found out about the annexation Thursday, after both chambers of the Legislature had passed it.

"They annexed my land behind my back," she said. "I would love to stay right in the country, but the Pike Road people wouldn't leave me alone."

Stone said a resolution has already been drafted by the Pike Road City Council to take those people who did not want to be annexed out. He said some people were included because of a technical error in the legislation's description.

"Their wishes will be granted at the first possible council meeting in December," he said.

Stone said he is aware of about five people.

"We want to work with anybody who is concerned about this to try to help them understand this is not a negative, but a very positive opportunity for the people of Pike Road," he said.

Lesley Cooper, who lives in Old Pike Lakes, said she is thrilled to be annexed and was pleased the governer signed the legislation.

"It means I have some hope that the flavor of the community where I live will remain the same," Cooper said.

"I'm hopeful that some consideration will be taken into where businesses are placed and that they will be all together and not mixed with homes.

"I still believe that the Pike Road planning commission has much more interest in keeping Pike Road the way I would like for it to be, which is more rural. I don't want a Wal-Mart in my back yard."

Cooper said she believes the governor made the right decision.

"I understand he checked with legislators and the people of Pike Road and everything was above board," she said. "I am just very grateful that he signed it."

Services to the annexed areas should improve and increase, Stone said.

"We want to continue to develop our community in a way that respects our personality and also that understands that progress will occur," he said.

Back