Vanilla Funk going to Alabama State

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Where is Jefferson Davis High School? Its very name implies it is locatted in the South, as Jefferson Davis was the president of the Confederacy. But, in which Southern community is it located?

Last edited:
Where is Jefferson Davis High School? Its very name implies it is locatted in the South, as Jefferson Davis was the president of the Confederacy. But, it wjich Southern community is it located?
Why Montgomery of course. The former confederate capitol of the south. Not sure if you were trolling or not..... Same location as it's rival school R.E. Lee. Schools that were once predominantly white but are now predominately black.

No surprise though, lots of tributes to confederate pride be it schools, statues and monuments, organizations, and etc still exist throughout parts of the south.

Why Montgomery of course. The former confederate capitol of the south. Not sure if you were trolling or not..... Same location as it's rival school R.E. Lee. Schools that were once predominantly white but are now predominately black.

No surprise though, lots of tributes to confederate pride be it schools, statues and monuments, organizations, and etc still exist throughout parts of the south.

And Alabama has made it illegal to remove them. I wonder if that applies to changing the name of schools with Confederate names and mascots. With those schools being majority Black, it's like forcing Black kids to honor a person that saw Black people as property and not human.

And Alabama has made it illegal to remove them. I wonder if that applies to changing the name of schools with Confederate names and mascots. With those schools being majority Black, it's like forcing Black kids to honor a person that saw Black people as property and not human.

In my hometown of Huntsville, another school named Lee High School was being rebuilt and about to have it's name changed. That school has become majority Black as well but influential alumni protested and the name stayed.

In my present residential city of Memphis, a situation happened a few years ago where a confederate statue stood for years. Some Black lawyers got together and did a slick move in purchasing the land and got the statues removed before others could figure out what happened. It cause quite a fuss. I share all of this to say it can be done but, it won't happen without a fight.

In my hometown of Huntsville, another school named Lee High School was being rebuilt and about to have it's name changed. That school has become majority Black as well but influential alumni protested and the name stayed.

In my present residential city of Memphis, a situation happened a few years ago where a confederate statue stood for years. Some Black lawyers got together and did a slick move in purchasing the land and got the statues removed before others could figure out what happened. It cause quite a fuss. I share all of this to say it can be done but, it won't happen without a fight.

What I'm finding out is that a lot of the information placed on some of those monuments are inaccurate, which is a distortion of the actual truth/history. The State of Virginia just recently passed a bill to allow local governments to determine the fate of Confederate Monuments. I do believe Virginia has quite of few of those monuments, especially in Richmond which was the capital of the Confederacy and Richmond is now a majority Black city. It will be interesting to see once cities like Richmond start removing Confederate Monuments that have stood for over a century.

I found this YouTube video about the Lost Cause very interesting.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NfTcxeuAddc

Last edited:

That's exactly what happened here in Baton Rouge. Robert E. Lee High School became majority black then got shutdown. The school system decided to build a new $55 million state-of-the-art school in its place with the option of changing the name. For some reason they let the alumni sway them into dropping the Robert E. and call it Lee Magnet High School instead of going with the more appropriate Southdowns High School (named after the local neighborhood).

Good luck to the kid, but why do you think it'll be interesting?

I think it would be interesting because his marching style mimics JSU's drum majors more than Alabama State's drum majors, providing that they make him one of their drum majors in the future. It would have seemed like he would have picked JSU over Alabama State, but other factors might have been involved in his decision, such as academic programs and staying in-state.

I think it would be interesting because his marching style mimics JSU's drum majors more than Alabama State's drum majors, providing that they make him one of their drum majors in the future. It would have seemed like he would have picked JSU over Alabama State, but other factors might have been involved in his decision, such as academic programs and staying in-state.
Where is atl Hornet at when he's actually needed? Any other time he's all over the place in here when unwanted. lol

When he was “viral” it was stated by quite a few, who was aware of his horn skills, that he wouldn’t be at JSU although the majority assumed he’d be in the Boom and would be DM eventually based off what they saw in the videos. Had he focused on that trumpet as much as he did learning the JSU dm-style, he’d be fine....... possibly a scholarship & eventually a shot at an audition for DM at some point.

It takes alot more to be a DM than just mimicking DM moves. People who've never set foot in any band can march as if they did so i never understood why so many folks thought this kid was automatically deserving of a scholarship without ever hearing him on a horn.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Good luck to the kid, but why do you think it'll be interesting?

On two fronts....when/if he tries out for DM, does he conform to ASU's style or does ASU allow some "innovations?" Secondly, does this spur increase attendance from locals i.e. his friends, family, the curious in general?
Hill-Eley puts a good team together combined with this side show=perfect storm $$$$$

H
On two fronts....when/if he tries out for DM, does he conform to ASU's style or does ASU allow some "innovations?" Secondly, does this spur increase attendance from locals i.e. his friends, family, the curious in general?
Hill-Eley puts a good team together combined with this side show=perfect storm $$$$$
How would you describe ASU's DM style?

To answer the first question, I don't see Bama State changing up things just because of him. If he wants to eventually earn the DM spot, he's going to have to learn their style and conform to that.

To answer the second question, I'm sure if he'll garner some attention if, and that's a big if, he earns the right to be a drum major.

Hell I wish the kid luck. Black kids would rather go to Alabama and Auburn. So at least someone wants to attend our schools.

The Crackers do this shit to black people. Because, we play to much with them. They will never take us serious until "actions" are met without words.

I'm from Memphis and didn't want the statues removed. When you do that, you further allow white folks to whitewash history. Them they slowly start teaching s#!t like this to the children...

Kids need to know the truth.8-when-the-european-settlers-arrived-they-needed-land-to-30382693.png

How would you describe ASU's DM style?

Rigid, no straying from tradition.

NUMBER 1 said:
To answer the first question, I don't see Bama State changing up things just because of him. If he wants to eventually earn the DM spot, he's going to have to learn their style and conform to that.

To answer the second question, I'm sure if he'll garner some attention if, and that's a big if, he earns the right to be a drum major.

He and Oliver should've had that discussion. That said, he should know what he has signed up for. With all the hype, he'll try out...just has to be at the right time---after dues are paid and respect is earned.

Maybe I just haven't paid attention to anybody but SU. But what is so different about SWAC drum majors, besides SU being that he is one leading the band... SHRUGS SHOULDERS!!!

Back