Tyra's Country Boyz!

northern tiger said:
Yeah man, don't be airing out our jacked-up stereotypes in these parts. They are not as simple as they are perceived. Its just a slavery mentality to help boost the self esteem of southsiders. Westsiders really don't care. But man those south side negores, they will go out of their way to let you know what part of the city they reside. They can toot their horn all they want, but we still "g" all of their women. :lol:
I love the westside myself. Yeah them southside boys do go out of their way to let you know that. :lol:

this has got to be the stupidest song i have ever heard in my life, especially the melodies. :shame: i mean,, this song SUCKS!! IT'S BRUTAL TO ATTEMPT TO LISTEN TO!!! :vomit: you know,, props for down home culture and the south finally getting some love in the music world,,, but enough already with the stupid-arse stereo-typical "twangs" or banjos or whatever the mess in the medley. :rolleyes: utter non-sense. i turn to another station time i hear the crap (which ain't sayin' much as my tolerance for urban/black FM radio is at an all-time low because of the worthless rap/HH(? i guess that's what it is still called) being played now day. it's just horrible. i listen for a few seconds paralyzed before i just turn to talk radio.). it's worse than Hollywood producing The Dukes of Hazard with all the "manufactured" southern accents.

you know what, i'd rather listen to BLUES than to listen to this crap by Tyra! AT LEAST BLUES IS AUTHENTIC!!!! (,, well,, most of it,, some of it,, from the old heads.)

To sum my take up, it's the thought that counts, thanks Tyra for the effort, i'm with the concept but not the production and final product.

sincerely, Bartram Doubter

PS: Great post Pbla. :bowdown: So glad somebody finally gave me a chance to get this one out of my system without me having to do it myself and alienate mugz as usual. I swear I was going to post on this months ago,, but decided not to since all i was going to do was belly-ache, naysay and throw darts at the stupid piece of crap song.

Thanx Bartram,

But Tyra's song is an improvement from her last song. She just really need to spend some time down here in the MidSouth or other parts of the Deep South to get a feel of what's really going on.

pbla said:
Thanx Bartram,

But Tyra's song is an improvement from her last song. She just really need to spend some time down here in the MidSouth or other parts of the Deep South to get a feel of what's really going on.

Well I'll investigate some of her other music. Just on good southern run in general, i have become a huge fan of Turner South. This station is really putting a good spin on the south and celebrating the GOOD things about the south and doing a good job of using celebs (native celebs,,, i swear i didn't know that lady that played in the movie with Martin, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, is from the south.) to promote the south. It is so great to see the South finally get some positive run that includes the best of both races I might add. even a good plug about black colleges in the "My South" commercial. Just outstanding.

Bartram said:
Well I'll investigate some of her other music. Just on good southern run in general, i have become a huge fan of Turner South. This station is really putting a good spin on the south and celebrating the GOOD things about the south and doing a good job of using celebs (native celebs,,, i swear i didn't know that lady that played in the movie with Martin, Thin Line Between Love and Hate, is from the south.) to promote the south. It is so great to see the South finally get some positive run that includes the best of both races I might add. even a good plug about black colleges in the "My South" commercial. Just outstanding.
Lynn Whitfield--I know she's from Louisiana,either Baton Rouge or Shreveport I forgot which one.

I saw this video, for the very first time, last night...who is the chic? Never even heard of her, before. Wasn't impressed w/the song or video, either.

Hey Bart, in all seriousnes, do you have a south complex? Sometimes I read your post, and they read as if you're almost ashamed of being from the south. Not trying to offend, or anything like that, but just trying to get some insight.

I know some southern stereotypes are bad, but if you look at the south's history, well, it is what it is. I look at a variety of different things, and some of them are true, some are false, and some things have changed. Some changes that have been made are really good, and some have set southerner's back.

Though Tyra's song can be viewed as offensive, she's only playing off of the stereotype's she see's. For instance, you have Houston based Destiny's Child, and what are they calling themselves? Country girls, looking for a soldier. Here we have 3 multi-millionaire's, and they're singing about finding a ghetto brother. Not that they're dating those types of guys, but look at the message their sending.

For every person that tries to sell the positives of the south, some of our southern entertainer's embody those old stereotype's. Not saying that it's necessarily a bad thing, because being southern is the in thing, but it seems that you are ashamed of being southern sometimes.

Again, not trying to offend, just trying to get some insight.
NICE

D-Nice,

You went way back with that Brer Rabbit syrup or shall I say surp.

Anyway, I haven?t seen the video and haven?t really paid attention to the lyrics. I?ve heard it, but it doesn?t bother me either way. But yeah, people go by what they see on tv. Unfortunately, it?s all they know, especially if they?ve never visited. To this day, when dudes find out I?m from Louisiana, they always want to know if I?m into voodoo and always talking about how they don?t want to eat my spaghetti. So the assumption is that every woman from La. is into voodoo?

And by the way, they just started playing Tyra?s song not too long ago. And D, you know you that the ?big cities? play get these songs way before us country folk do. They JUST started playing Lyfe?s music down here, but his CD was out in August. I hate when we?re behind on stuff like that.

Anyway, I digressed. sorry.

Jag-Tig said:
D-Nice,

You went way back with that Brer Rabbit syrup or shall I say surp.

Anyway, I haven?t seen the video and haven?t really paid attention to the lyrics. I?ve heard it, but it doesn?t bother me either way. But yeah, people go by what they see on tv. Unfortunately, it?s all they know, especially if they?ve never visited. To this day, when dudes find out I?m from Louisiana, they always want to know if I?m into voodoo and always talking about how they don?t want to eat my spaghetti. So the assumption is that every woman from La. is into voodoo?

And by the way, they just started playing Tyra?s song not too long ago. And D, you know you that the ?big cities? play get these songs way before us country folk do. They JUST started playing Lyfe?s music down here, but his CD was out in August. I hate when we?re behind on stuff like that.

Anyway, I digressed. sorry.

I hate that voodoo misconception....:mad:

Ya know JT, I've heard some good things about that Lyfe brother...I have yet to hear any of his music, though. I don't believe they're playing him, here in Dallas.

I feel ya Tig. I get asked all the time if I'm in to voodoo, or if I know people who practice it. All I can do is smh.

Speaking of Lyfe, he'll be here in concert next week.

NICE

I heard this song once and only once and guess what :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

D, Tig, Finest, do you all know voo-doo? :winkgrin: Just a joke.

D-NICE said:
For instance, you have Houston based Destiny's Child, and what are they calling themselves? Country girls, looking for a soldier. Here we have 3 multi-millionaire's, and they're singing about finding a ghetto brother. Not that they're dating those types of guys, but look at the message their sending.

man,,,, do not get me started on this mess. it was all i could do NOT to post on those when i heard em. just unbelievable those efforts. :shame:

northern tiger said:
I heard this song once and only once and guess what :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit:

i couldn't believe it when i first heard this,,,, i can't come up with a word right now. i say to myself,, ",,, ya gotta be kidding me.". i thought it was some kind of joke Coke commercial or something.

CriTAUcal said:
You mean the singer is Tyra Banks???? You see how much I paid attention to the video before turning? :lol: I never looked at the face.

No it's not. It's another girl named Tyra.

....thinking somebody would've said something by now :rolleyes:

I'm with you on that one FAB5..... Get your Tyra's correct.... Even though the one inthe video is better to look at in my opinion....

FAB5 said:
No it's not. It's another girl named Tyra.

....thinking somebody would've said something by now :rolleyes:

Yeah, I know that now. I saw the video again last week. I just didn't care to come back and correct myself... 'cause the song STILL sucks! :tdown:

There was only one post that eluded to the fact that perhaps it was Tyra Banks' song.

Everybody else just said Tyra.

I saw the video this weekend. I kind of figured it was not Tyra Banks after SUfinest did not make a comment about Miss Banks after she posted that she saw the video. The sistah who told me this song was Tyra Banks song has lost all her credibility with me about the music scene.

But anyway this new girl is cute, but the video should not have been shot;they wasted film for this video.

Now this is a "gimmick" song. She even called Virginia a part of the 'Dirty South'. I got so mad when I heard that, everybody knows that VA always claimed East Coast.

I'm so tired of people trying to be something they aren't. :vomit:

My girl friend likes this song though, or she may have said that just to get on my nerves.

Brave said:
Now this is a "gimmick" song. She even called Virginia a part of the 'Dirty South'. I got so mad when I heard that, everybody knows that VA always claimed East Coast.

Just cause you claim something don't make it true. You can find an equal number of people who think VA is country. My aunt lives in VA and her neighbors are about as country as anyone from Mississippi.

:bump: :bump: :bump:

SU's Finest '93 said:
Ya know JT, I've heard some good things about that Lyfe brother...I have yet to hear any of his music, though. I don't believe they're playing him, here in Dallas.

Houston, neither...but you would not regret buying his cd. Well worth the purchase and only $7.99 at Wal-Mart.

Back