Tyler Perry’s Acrimony (2018 Movie) – Taraji P. Henson

Terry Perry's name alone kills the movie

You are probably right. And that's unfortunate, because at least Tyler Perry tries. Me personally, I usually don't like his productions. But I like the fact that he give black actors/actresses, a chance to hone their skills. He give them a chance to work when they probable would be unemployed. (Hell, now that I think about it, he puts a lot of white actors/actresses to work too.) Not to mention the people who works behind the scene.

This looks like typical Tyler Perry trash. I appreciate him putting black actors to work, but he needs to relinquish some control and hire legitimate writers. Taraji also needs to be more aware of the projects she's been taking. You can't keep taking Ls at the box office before you're losing out on bigger opportunities in the long run.

This looks like typical Tyler Perry trash. I appreciate him putting black actors to work, but he needs to relinquish some control and hire legitimate writers. Taraji also needs to be more aware of the projects she's been taking. You can't keep taking Ls at the box office before you're losing out on bigger opportunities in the long run.
Right, how you go from Hidden Figures to this? lol

So that's what the problem is. Never thought about it that way, but you might have a point.

Tyler is notorious for being an egomaniac when it comes to his projects. He wants to control everything. That's why at this point, all his movies feel as if you are watching the same movie over and over again. Plot twists that make no sense, poor character development, slow moving action/long, drawn out scenes, cringe-worthy dialogue are all signs of a Tyler's bad writing. He should be alot better by now but he's too arrogant to believe that anything is even wrong.

Tyler is notorious for being an egomaniac when it comes to his projects. He wants to control everything. That's why at this point, all his movies feel as if you are watching the same movie over and over again. Plot twists that make no sense, poor character development, slow moving action/long, drawn out scenes, cringe-worthy dialogue are all signs of a Tyler's bad writing. He should be alot better by now but he's too arrogant to believe that anything is even wrong.

You know what Storm, why don't you stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel. LOL!!! DAMN!!!!! LOL!!!!

So if he writes so bad, why do studios keep making his movies?

So if he writes so bad, why do studios keep making his movies?

Because he makes money. That doesn't change the fact that his writing is terrible. Look at Billboard. Bad music makes money....doesn't mean its good music. Fast food joints make money...doesn't mean its good food either...etc. He has a core audience that will support him no matter what.

I don't think Proud Mary was a flop. It was very entertaining and that's what I wanted.

Nah it was a commercial and critical flop. It had a production budget of 14 million and only made 21 million worldwide. That doesn't even include money spent on marketing.

OK, I'm going to have to challenge some of you know-it-alls, who seem to know the ins and outs of the movie business. If Tyler Perry's name kills the movie, whose name would be a better alternative to save it? I'll be waiting for an answer. Because last I checked, there ain't many of us with our own studio who can make whatever movie we want at any time.

Taraji also needs to be more aware of the projects she's been taking. You can't keep taking Ls at the box office before you're losing out on bigger opportunities in the long run.
What Ls has she been taking Storm? Hidden Figures was a success at the box office and got Academy Award consideration. Granted, Proud Mary may not have been a box office smash, BUT it wasn't a high budget production either. When you consider the fees the movie will make from premium movie channels and DVD sells, it will likely turn a profit. So that isn't all on Taraji. Empire (which is on TV and not a show that I watch) has for the most part been successful for FOX moneywise. So what am I missing?

But back to TP. I will be the first to admit that all of his movies aren't the best, but that's OK. Tyler Perry has enough POWER of his own that he doesn't need permission from anyone to tell him what he can and can't make. And contrary to what some will say, ALL of his movies aren't bad. I respect folks for having their own opinions about his movies but don't knock the man for trying. As far as I'm concerned we need more like him. Look at Spike Lee. The man has been reduced to making documentaries and Capital One commercials.

OK, I'm going to have to challenge some of you know-it-alls, who seem to know the ins and outs of the movie business. If Tyler Perry's name kills the movie, whose name would be a better alternative to save it? I'll be waiting for an answer. Because last I checked, there ain't many of us with our own studio who can make whatever movie we want at any time.

What Ls has she been taking Storm? Hidden Figures was a success at the box office and got Academy Award consideration. Granted, Proud Mary may not have been a box office smash, BUT it wasn't a high budget production either. When you consider the fees the movie will make from premium movie channels and DVD sells, it will likely turn a profit. So that isn't all on Taraji. Empire (which is on TV and not a show that I watch) has for the most part been successful for FOX moneywise. So what am I missing?

But back to TP. I will be the first to admit that all of his movies aren't the best, but that's OK. Tyler Perry has enough POWER of his own that he doesn't need permission from anyone to tell him what he can and can't make. And contrary to what some will say, ALL of his movies aren't bad. I respect folks for having their own opinions about his movies but don't knock the man for trying. As far as I'm concerned we need more like him. Look at Spike Lee. The man has been reduced to making documentaries and Capital One commercials.

As indicated in an earlier post I made in this thread, I totally agree with you. I think some of us needs to lighten up. I usually don't like Tyler Perry's productions, but I have to give him props: the man tries.

The L's I'm referring to deal with both commercial and critical acclaim as lead actress in her movies. As a lead actress, Taraji back-doored a very successful movie with Proud Mary; which was a flop in both metrics and the potential for a flop with Acrimony. Typically, a movie makes a profit after it makes twice its production budget. With that said, Proud Mary flopped. Tyler Perry movies always turn a profit (in large part because he lowballs those who work on his films).

I like Taraji. She's a good actress. But studios seek bankable stars to carry films and if she's not more particular about the roles she accepts and starts trending downward; then opportunities will fall into someone else's lap. That's just the way it is. I never said that Tyler didn't have power and I applaud his hustle. I just said that he is a bad writer because well, he is..LOL.

The L's I'm referring to deal with both commercial and critical acclaim as lead actress in her movies. As a lead actress, Taraji back-doored a very successful movie with Proud Mary; which was a flop in both metrics and the potential for a flop with Acrimony. Typically, a movie makes a profit after it makes twice its production budget. With that said, Proud Mary flopped. Tyler Perry movies always turn a profit (in large part because he lowballs those who work on his films).

I like Taraji. She's a good actress. But studios seek bankable stars to carry films and if she's not more particular about the roles she accepts and starts trending downward; then opportunities will fall into someone else's lap. That's just the way it is. I never said that Tyler didn't have power and I applaud his hustle. I just said that he is a bad writer because well, he is..LOL.

Damn, Storm, if every movie maker lived up to your standards, very few movies would get made. LOL!!! Come on man, lighten up. LOL!!!

Tyler Perry movies always turn a profit (in large part because he lowballs those who work on his films).
Aww...come on Storm, that ain't fair. Don't confuse "lowballing" with simply having a limited budget. I don't pretend to know anything about the movie industry, but I think it is safe to say that those who work with TP do so because they actually want to. Tyler Perry is an established brand. If you are willing to admit that folks will support him no matter what, then how is that a bad thing? It's likely do to the fact that folks know what to expect in watching a Tyler Perry movie. If Madea is involved, you know what to expect. If it is something like Acrimony, you have some idea what to expect.

Kenn from what I understand he makes a ton of money of his Tyler Perry Studios. I know AMC utilizes his studios for the Walking Dead along with a few other shows.

Honestly, I think TP has some good movies and bad movies; but the good ones really outweigh the bad ones.

Kenn from what I understand he makes a ton of money of his Tyler Perry Studios. I know AMC utilizes his studios for the Walking Dead along with a few other shows.

Honestly, I think TP has some good movies and bad movies; but the good ones really outweigh the bad ones.

I agree. And I respect the fact that everyone isn't going to agree on what is or isn't a good TP movie, and that's fine. The larger point is - like everyone else in Hollywood - TP has the ability to make movies for us to like or dislike. I think the thing that gets us in trouble is because TP's movies are (mostly) black and involve a mostly black cast or audience, that each one HAS to be good. And I think that is due to the fact that there are not a lot of black movies being made and we automatically expect the few that do come out to be great each time...which isn't going to always happen.

Back