Tubas:Why do you think your section is the best in the land

Hypothetical Question:

If BAND A blows the song "XYZ" at BAND B, and BAND B has "XYZ" in their folder but don't play it back, but then play it the next year, is it stealing?

Originally posted by s phi s
Hypothetical Question:

If BAND A blows the song "XYZ" at BAND B, and BAND B has "XYZ" in their folder but don't play it back, but then play it the next year, is it stealing?
No,....but, if Band A plays the song "XYZ", (Is that a song or just an example?) and Band B plays it with the same identical arrangement and melodic lines,... I would consider that stealing. Moreover,.....If Band A sit down and make up a song that is not on the commercial market and Band B plays the same thing a couple of seasons later,....I consider that stealing.

"XYZ" was just an example. Your last two points are valid ones, but I hear lots of people classify an arrangement, no matter how different as stolen.

Originally posted by s phi s
"XYZ" was just an example. Your last two points are valid ones, but I hear lots of people classify an arrangement, no matter how different as stolen.
I got you like: "Before I let Go?

Originally posted by C-Murder
if we had metal tubas........we would only have 10 tubas cause thats all we would need........we usually roll wit 16-20 but 10 gold wanches is all we would need:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I will be honest with you. We did do too much of the zip thing, but we are still one of the best tuba sections in the SWAC.

As for the 10 tuba thing, honestly, your best out is to run the same number as you do with the white horses. There is not that much difference in actual volume. What we hear from SU's tubas are a mellower sound than from an all brass tuba. All brass tubas have a more direct sound, and you can better detect mistakes & horn holders

Originally posted by ultramagnus2g2
As for the 10 tuba thing, honestly, your best out is to run the same number as you do with the white horses. There is not that much difference in actual volume.
Sure about that one?

Man, if the "U" ran with metal tubas....there's no way SU can carry 16, without being 200 without the tubas.

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Sure about that one?

Man, if the "U" ran with metal tubas....there's no way SU can carry 16, without being 200 without the tubas.

I am sure, I'm proficient on both kinds of horns. If you were expecting that big of a volume difference, then the actual number you should run with at this band size is 6.

I am sure, I'm proficient on both kinds of horns. If you were expecting that big of a volume difference, then the actual number you should run with at this band size is 6.
Sorry, I need more than that.

No offense....but, I don't think you're aware of the damage them white horses do. It takes way more than just playing a tuba to make those white tubas sound the way the "U" makes them sound.

Is the volume difference like a sound-barrier breaker versus a tuba? ....No. But, I think you're selling the tuba players from the "U" short.....very short.

Im willing to go as far as to say....you give me a good 16 tuba players from every other school...and, I'll put SU's 10-12 best on metal....and, see if it won't come out about even.

What people don't realize is....much like the "U's" b-tones and f-horns bring more than enough drama.....so, do those white tubas.

Originally posted by O'Bladerunner
Sorry, I need more than that.

No offense....but, I don't think you're aware of the damage them white horses do. It takes way more than just playing a tuba to make those white tubas sound the way the "U" makes them sound.

Is the volume difference like a sound-barrier breaker versus a tuba? ....No. But, I think you're selling the tuba players from the "U" short.....very short.

Im willing to go as far as to say....you give me a good 16 tuba players from every other school...and, I'll put SU's 10-12 best on metal....and, see if it won't come out about even.

What people don't realize is....much like the "U's" b-tones and f-horns bring more than enough drama.....so, do those white tubas.

I'm fully aware of the "Horse" and I'm not taking anything away from your players, it seems that you are giving them too much props. My own focus in this discussion was on the tuba, not the player. They are out standing, well rounded musicians. If you have 16 Fiberglass tubas; then you should actually have 12 brass tubas. That is about the real number of tubas, no matter the player

As for the challenge get 10 of your best "on metal", and I'll get 10 of the Hammer's best. I am not a betting man; but I will put my money on me and the other 9 from the hammer

[BIf you have 16 Fiberglass tubas; then you should actually have 12 brass tubas. That is about the real number of tubas, no matter the player

[/B]
I have to agree.

Back