TSU Closing the gap in athletics

Real Talk TXSU should be running things. They are in Huge Houston, the biggest city in the SWAC. I never understood that.

Haywood is the fist football coach who could recruit the Greater Houston Area with any success.

Haywood is that dude in the club that tries to dance with all the girls in the club. He doesn't mind getting turned down.

Last edited:
Haywood is the fist football coach who could recruit the Greater Houston Area with any success.

Haywood is that dude in the club that tries to dance with all the girls in the club. He doesn't mind getting turned down.
I saw someone with a TSU hat on at damn near every big game I was at last year. Spoke to him at the Dawson-Alief Taylor game.

the margin for error is razor thin in football as 1 loss kills you where in other sports you can make it up thanks to the tournament.

It would take studying but for the schools that won the title once and never returned to the game or just been there one additional time, why haven't they been back? That's the 1 sport on paper where everyone is utilizing the most resources.

I was at that game with TSU hat on. We need more hats in the stands. Something simple as a hat can help recruiting. That simple shows kids there is support. People , mostly our alums act surprised to see TSU hats or shirts at games. This is a sore issue with me. I played in the Wheeler Ave golf tourney last week. Had my TSU hat on. How many of those " big dollar black folks went to TSU". They owe that school some support.

I was at that game with TSU hat on. We need more hats in the stands. Something simple as a hat can help recruiting. That simple shows kids there is support. People , mostly our alums act surprised to see TSU hats or shirts at games. This is a sore issue with me. I played in the Wheeler Ave golf tourney last week. Had my TSU hat on. How many of those " big dollar black folks went to TSU". They owe that school some support.

Enough to make a real impact. Our alums, specifically our older alums are so selfish. They know better, but won't do better.

different breed of alum coming up now. They get theirs and that's it and maybe the church or something else will get whatever is left if there is some sort of social/financial/political gain attached.

the alum who was happy to attend college in the segregated era, etc. and cherished the right to earn a degree is slowly dying off. Showing up for homecoming doesn't count as support.

Well said Band Fan, i am sure you have studied this phenomenon. This new group including mine spend every dime they make therefore nothing else left. They pay to get yard cut, pay to have apartment cleaned, pay to have oil changed. no money left.

Just study all SWAC schools budgets over the last 20 plus years and you'll gain some knowledge.

This is hard for many to understand. I preach this all the time to JSU alums. Even going back to the 80s and 90s, you only had a FEW schools (well 2... lol) who really put money into their programs. Even back then, JSU only gave out 50 football scholarships but that was balling when the rest of the SWAC was giving out 25-30. You won't win without money. As our former JSU President said, "I can solve every problem at JSU with more money"

ADs can hurt too. We once had a jumping bball gym but we had an AD who told our students they cheer too loud and make the other team feel unsafe..... and moved them from the floor.. LOL We have since recovered and our students have come back.

I don't see it happening for sTu in football. The tradition isn't there and Texas kids worth anything in football stay away from there like the plague...don't shoot the messenger.....

I don't see it happening for sTu in football. The tradition isn't there and Texas kids worth anything in football stay away from there like the plague...don't shoot the messenger.....
Stay tuned........................

ADs can hurt too. We once had a jumping bball gym but we had an AD who told our students they cheer too loud and make the other team feel unsafe..... and moved them from the floor.. LOL We have since recovered and our students have come back.

I've seen that mistake made a few times. Basketball is designed for people to be on each other. We have enough country clubs already out there masking as gyms.

Back