Time to Change the conversation about college

I totally agree.. beisdes the moral issues we at the bottom of (another topic).. We are at the bottom due to a lot of politcal policy such as some of the issues you named...
I just don't we should just roll over and accept the same "system" that's been controlled by you know who since for ever.. If we going to do that.. We should take our licks and never complain...

perfect example.. the SUNO/UNO issue is over.. but they are still working on getting what they want...Yes it is a state issue.. and it is an unfair state issue that is being handled by a "wanna be" white republican... Obama stepped in on Mexico issue..."helping" he illegal imigrants... Shyt right now I would atleast settle for a few KIND words from this black man on our behalf... we both know no one can say..."WELL what did SU alums do about it"..

yes, we as black people do need to get more involved in political issues...especially the ones that directly affect us. We should do the same thing we did for the SUNO/UNO situation. We all pulled together and made those calls and sent those emails...that should be an ongoing process for all issues. Also, a lot of us still don't/won't VOTE in ALL elections...that's another big issue.

Damn.. you always find away to blame the PEOPLE! wow...

J, riddle me this. Who's responsiblity is it then. Do you believe in limited government? Well, is it the people's responsibility to determine their own fates or the government?

As far as this student loans debt, as long as jobs are scarce and this economy is the way it is, that amount is going to continue to increase. All of us are trying to go back to school now and get master's degrees just so we can attempt to grow/advance with our POE's...and that's still no guarantee. :smh:

You can't major in B.S. and expect to find jobs. Also, some folks just need to go to tech or trade school.

I agree. At one point you could. However, we are still pushing the myth that you can major in anything. You know how many miserable criminal justice/political science/mass communication/speech communication/pyschology majors I know right now.

Meanwhile Mathew, who never went to college,
but did 3 years of X-Ray tech school just signed
a contract for 70k, and he just turned 21..........

Happy Birthday Matt.

They don't get it Tony. All they wanna do is blame their skin.

I just told y'all the other day in another thread that a couple of recent college grads I was chatting with are bartenders now, making good money. Hell, I need to go to bartending school too...it's only $600bucks...I can make that one of my side hustles and make a come up. Surely I'd make good in tips. :emlaugh:

J, riddle me this. Who's responsiblity is it then. Do you believe in limited government? Well, is it the people's responsibility to determine their own fates or the government?

Naw.. if companies are not hiring.. I would never blame a 23 year old student who spent alot of money and time to do what was expected of him/her.. That's the government job to help fix the reason these companies are not hiring... How we get to the point of us blaming our "future" generations?

Last edited:
I just told y'all the other day in another thread that a couple of recent college grads I was chatting with are bartenders now, making good money. Hell, I need to go to bartending school too...it's only $600bucks...I can make that one of my side hustles and make a come up. Surely I'd make good in tips. :emlaugh:

lmao... hey.

They don't teach real estate in school.. and those folk usually retire before most college grads... So you may be on to something...

Who said anything about race bruh? I think you like just making up stuff :lol: Hell, we only make up a small % of college students and that 85% is lot more of them than us. :lol:

Tony makes a good point about Xray techs.

Who said anything about race bruh? I think you like just making up stuff :lol: Hell, we only make up a small % of college students and that 85% is lot more of them than us. :lol:

Tony makes a good point about Xray techs.

Trades in general bruh. Look the market changes. That is life. In the early 90's manufacturing and steel mills were flowing like milk and honey for engineers, accountants, business majors as supervisors, skilled labor and even clean up crews. Well the 2000's hit and that was over. Bush took the DOD and oil companies milk and honey.everyone pushed 4 year degrees, while skill labor died. Well now 4 year degrees have hit a dead wall, guess what skill labor is making a come back.

Naw.. if companies are not hiring.. I would never blame a 23 year old student who spent alot of money and time to do what was espected of him/her.. That's the government job to help fix the reason these companies are not hiring... How we get to the point of us blaming our "future" generations?
Graduates Majoring in stuff like fashion, art history, literature, etc have never been in demand.

You saying they make up the majority of the 80 or so percent? Where you get your numbers from? (pulling a J4L)

That 85% includes some who have a job also. Heck I moved home for a little bit after I graduated and got a job near my hometown.

Graduates Majoring in stuff like fashion, art history, literature, etc have never been in demand.

Yeah but folks majoring in Criminal Justice/Communications/ Business Administration/Physchology had it a lot easier a decade ago.

So my question now is "who is at fault initially?"

Do we place the initial blame on the universities for making their fees unreasonably high, to where students have to take out these big loans? I know the bills gotta be paid, and professors need their pay too...but dang man!!!!

Or, do we place initial blame on the banks for granting these big loans to students, with no guarantee that they will be paid back in a timely manner? Looking at this from the same lens I look at how banks give out home loans and how the housing market affected what happened to the banks.

Or do we place the initial blame on the companies who won't hire these grads with these outstanding loans? Don't some of these companies look at people's credit history to determine whether they will hire someone or not?

~shrugs~

Yeah but folks majoring in Criminal Justice/Communications/ Business Administration/Physchology had it a lot easier a decade ago.

Yeah after they got masters degrees. And communications majors have had a hard time since the news industry went to the web.

Depending on what field you're in, having a bachelors now is about as beneficial as having a diploma.

When? I know tons of folks who had to have options because of those majors.

I work with a bunch of Pyschology majors. I also remember a lot of companies hiring people with Bachelors in Business Administration and Marketing. I am not seeing that now. Many companies won't even blink at you without having a MBA.

Yeah after they got masters degrees. And communications majors have had a hard time since the news industry went to the web.

Those Master's Degrees are struggling to find jobs as well. I know plenty of people in DC with one or two Master's Degrees looking for work and this is the best job market in the country. I know a boatload of people with Master's Degrees back in Mississippi stuck working retail or at a restaraunt. I don't think you comprehend how bad the job market is for college grads right now unless you are coming out in, Healthcare, Engineering, IT, Accounting, or Science.

My little sister is getting a degree in Criminal Justic and I tried my best to talk her out of it.

Those Master's Degrees are struggling to find jobs as well. I know plenty of people in DC with one or two Master's Degrees looking for work and this is the best job market in the country. I know a boatload of people with Master's Degrees back in Mississippi stuck working retail or at a restaraunt. I don't think you comprehend how bad the job market is for college grads right now unless you are coming out in, Healthcare, Engineering, IT, Accounting, or Science.

My little sister is getting a degree in Criminal Justic and I tried my best to talk her out of it.

I do understand how bad the market is, but my reason for making my initial comment about choosing majors wisely is what you said in red bold. You have to choose wisely!

I do understand how bad the market is, but my reason for making my initial comment about choosing majors wisely is what you said in red bold. You have to choose wisely!

No one saw the 2008 Market crash coming. Well some did but not many. The market did not really slow down until the end of 2007. The economy has shifted and people have been caught in it. To major in those other fields was perfectly rationale when people entered college in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006.

There is also a market for International Business, International Relations right now but you got to be willing to travel. I really feel bad for the cats that came out with me and got married right away or had kids. Them cats are getting hit hard.

Back