Thursday Night Lights: Third Coast Tigers vs. Jaguar Nation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've said it time and time again if you want to run with/like the big dawgs you got to get up off the porch or don't whine about it if you're left behind.

We wanted major exposure we got it, so what's the problem?

lets get the facts straight.....you forgot to factor in the TSU crowd....they may/may not show up.....

Lets flash back to 2001 at the dome...both teams were very average and the game was boring the say the least....the game wasn't attended well...

now they want to hang out at Reliant and the game usually attracts 30,000 at most....you still got 40,000 empty seats. If the game time is moved up to accomodate an ESPN crowd, your talking about hell.

unless you got Direct TV...ESPN U isn't shown anywhere else in Houston...so who does it really benefit?

Our AD said if a Thursday night game is shown at PV, it's against a team who won't draw much on a Saturday anyway but it'll be attractive enough to catch the students who otherwise would go home on Friday.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Robber said:
JR, the day we become TRUE football fans, it won't matter what day the game is played on. True fans make it happen and get their butts to the games.

When you sign major network deals, the network makes you accomodate them.

Enough said and case close! :nod2:

if a real football fan is a teacher and short on vacation days....who do you think will win out?

most schools shouldn't depend on a road team's base anyway...

Robber said:
JR, the day we become TRUE football fans, it won't matter what day the game is played on. True fans make it happen and get their butts to the games.

:nod: EXACTLY. Count me in. I'll head to Houston on Wednesday. Be at that game on Thursday. Rest up for a Friday night high school game. Then, travel to Montgomery early Saturday morning for the Gram game. What's next? What's new? It's FOOTBALL season. :rolly: :jump:

SUjagTILLiDIE said:
ITs alright to move certain games(games with no interest.

So if its OK to move a game with no interest based on attendance, what make you think it will be of interest to viewers.

We need to keep this in perspective. True, we will lose some SU fans if it's Thursday but the success of this game rides solely on the shoulders of TSU. Their fans simply need to do a better job of supporting outside of the "happening" known as the Labor Day Classic.

Now, I still don't understand why Reliant was picked when UH football is playing away that week.

Robber said:

The fact of the matter though is that most people that come to our games ARE NOT true football fans. We can hope and wish and imagine what if but that's just the truth. And because of this, it DOES matter what day the game is played on.

I hope this Thursday night game works out but if you're banking a good attendance on only the true football fans then turn out might be pretty low for this one.

Actually, this move might give us another well attended game. Originally this would have been our homecoming game. I was totally against that, now homecoming might be moved to the Alcorn game. Total hope and speculation on my part.

Jag Voice said:
... but the success of this game rides solely on the shoulders of TSU. Their fans simply need to do a better job of supporting outside of the "happening" known as the Labor Day Classic.

No, actually it rides solely on the shoulders of Seve Wilson, Alois Blackwell and the "Team Marketing" at Texas Southern.

Alumni and fans have proven to support our Tigers when they are winning and that's how it is when you go 0-11, 5-6, 4-7, 3-7 over four consecutive years. When we were riding our six game winning streak going into the Grambling game in San Antonio, it was a great feeling to see so much Maroon & Grey in the Alamodome.

I won't go into too much detail about that anymore but that's how it's gonna be until we show progress in our football team and make it a football program.

East Tex Tiger said:
Actually, this move might give us another well attended game. Originally this would have been our homecoming game. I was totally against that, now homecoming might be moved to the Alcorn game. Total hope and speculation on my part.

Yes, Alcorn is homecoming.

the band fan said:
if a real football fan is a teacher and short on vacation days....who do you think will win out?

most schools shouldn't depend on a road team's base anyway...

A real fan manages their time off to accomodate football season. Hell the teachers are off the whole summer and can spend time with their families unless they are teaching summer school or have another job. So don't give me that poor mouth attitude. The white folks(teachers) do it. I am a Manager in an Manufacturing environment that is alot busier and demanding than some other professions and I live in Minnesota way away from the SWAC. But I found time not only to go to 5 SU games(including the SCG) last year, I flew to Ohio and Dnice and I caught the GSU/BCC game and I also have season tickets to the Vikings so I went to those not to mention I caught the Vikings/Saints game the day after SU/JSU in the dome. Still found time to visit friends and family on the holidays and have a social life. So like Robber said you will do it if you are a true fan. Now of course finances come into the picture for most folks, which is understandable. It can be done though. Especially for folks who are closer. My LB Big Thunder made alot games last year and he has a son in HS that is active in the band, a younger son and a son that is in the Jukebox now. He was able to juggle all that and he lives in the ATL. Again real fans make it happen. Others make excuses. I am not talking about folks with finance issues. Just folks who don't really put much effort to go cheer on their team. Just my 2 cents

JR would you not agree though that most HBCU fans ARENT true football fans? More people show up to our games dressed for the club rather than in school colors. Most people show up to our games and stand around underneath the stadium socializing, only to fill up the seats just before halftime and leave just after halftime. We have to market our games differently because of that and I'm not very certain that it's smart to ask those non-true football fans to take thursday and friday off work to come to a game that doesnt have a battle of the band, step-show, concert, after party, etc attatched to it. Why would they do that when it's hard enough to get them to come to a game on their day off (Sat)?

But like I said before, I'm content to wait and see how it plays out. I'm hoping for the best.

the million dollar question is

did ESPN suggest the game with another date just in case they did not comply or did TSU volunteer the game thinking the game would look great on tv?

or did the SWAC unknowingly volunteer the game without much thought?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Shid...just SU playing in Houston will be good enough...plus the novelty of playing in a NATIONALLY TELEVISED GAME will probably bring more out then expected, probably draw some people into watching the SWAC that weren't familiar with it..

Hopefully they'll move the game to Robertson and make the game look bigger...but I don't think attendance will suffer too much..C'mon y'all it's not like SU's gonna play a Thursday game in Itta Bena or Pine Bluff (no offense y'all, but i'm tryin to make a point)...Houston's our home away from home and people make excuses just to spend a couple more days in Houston...don't worry..people have already taken their vacation time off for that weekend...

Didn't Miami play UH on a Thursday last season? I DGAF about people complaining about the gate..gaining a larger audience and potentially more people interested in the SWAC is worth the fairweather fans' non-attendance...I'm more worried about Pete and the boys preparing for a game with a short week...it should be fun..

C'mon y'all..let's look at the bigger picture...We've batched and moaned and bellyached about the SWAC not getting more mainstream exposure..now that we've got some and hafta play by the rules everybody else playing...we want to complain about attendance.... Negroes are never satisfied :argue2:

Journalist said:
...I'm more worried about Pete and the boys preparing for a game with a short week...

No need to worry about that. The Jags are open the Saturday before TSU.

It may cost the players a chance to go home for that weekend, however.....

PNeck019 said:
No need to worry about that. The Jags are open the Saturday before TSU.

It may cost the players a chance to go home for that weekend, however.....

After that Thursday game..they get an extra day to prepare for the UAPB game, right...So this might work out for the better in terms of strategy..

Playing Bama Souf in Mumford East, I mean Ladd-Peebles...Bama North, J-State and Alcorn in four straight weeks before the off week...that Thursday date after the bye could do wonders...esp if we run the table in that portion of the conference schedule..

Journalist said:
C'mon y'all..let's look at the bigger picture...We've batched and moaned and bellyached about the SWAC not getting more mainstream exposure..now that we've got some and hafta play by the rules everybody else playing...we want to complain about attendance.... Negroes are never satisfied :argue2:

Wouldn't the big picture suggest that we should look for ways to generate both...good attendance and mainstream exposure?

Venom Skywalker said:
Wouldn't the big picture suggest that we should look for ways to generate both...good attendance and mainstream exposure?

(Darth Vader voice, couldn't resist :topic: ) You are most certainly right, Skywalker...

That's why I think the schools invovled should go overboard promoting the hell out of their Thursday nite games...give-a-ways, the whole 9...gotta put the arses in the seats also...just be creative, just like minor league baseball does... Bill Veeck send help

Journalist said:
(Darth Vader voice, couldn't resist :topic: ) You are most certainly right, Skywalker...

That's why I think the schools invovled should go overboard promoting the hell out of their Thursday nite games...give-a-ways, the whole 9...gotta put the arses in the seats also...just be creative, just like minor league baseball does... Bill Veeck send help

I agree...but they are facing an uphill climb. UH launched a massive marketing campaign when they played Miami. Not many people really care about UH but with Miami's name recognition, they expected WAY more than 30k at a thursday night game. With the average walk up fan usually getting off after 5pm, fighting traffic to get to Reliant will be a hard sell for people with no ties to either school. TSU alumni and students HAVE to step it up big time for this one.

Storm96 said:
I agree...but they are facing an uphill climb. UH launched a massive marketing campaign when they played Miami. Not many people really care about UH but with Miami's name recognition, they expected WAY more than 30k at a thursday night game. With the average walk up fan usually getting off after 5pm, fighting traffic to get to Reliant will be a hard sell for people with no ties to either school. TSU alumni and students HAVE to step it up big time for this one.

Arent the Thursday night kickoffs usually at 8:00 or 8:30 pm? Thats why they are later so folks can get home from work, etc.

it doesn't matter what time....ordinary Houston people will make every excuse not to attend. My point is that with the game being on thursday it's a much harder sell to walk up fans in the city. SU fans will do what they can but its on those closest to Texas Southern to really step it up.

Robber,

True!!

Bluedog,

So, true!!

Shaking My Head!!

We (fans and alums) want so much (many things), but are not willing to pay (cost, sacrifice, & etc.) to make things happen.

Are (we) ready?

Storm96 said:
TSU alumni and students HAVE to step it up big time for this one.

That's the BOTTOM line. No matter how you spin it, TSU fans, alumni and adminstrators have to step up to the plate.

You simply can't expect 20K La fans like you would have on a Sat. night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back