Thoughts of Superbowl week in Houston

And now that the festivities are over, downtown has returned to being a ghost-town. Um, try walking in downtown houston tonight with an open liquor container in your hand. They even had signs posted this weekend... "No alcoholic beverages beyond this point." Houston has a LOOOOONG way to go. And as for the crowds, now that the stars are gone, please tell me who is coming downtown to walk the streets and ride the "Train from Hell".

Man, H-Town was crunk for real this past week. Tooooooooo many events going on.

"L", I would think that it's still gonna' be crunk 4-5 weekends from now too (based on the clubs that I visited). H-Town is a lot more "party" friendly rather than the conservative area that I'm in now (D/FW). :tup:

Congrats to Houston on putting the REAL pressure on N Texas to come up w/ a new stadium. :tup:

Originally posted by Panthro
Man, H-Town was crunk for real this past week. Tooooooooo many events going on.

"L", I would think that it's still gonna' be crunk 4-5 weekends from now too (based on the clubs that I visited). H-Town is a lot more "party" friendly rather than the conservative area that I'm in now (D/FW). :tup:

Congrats to Houston on putting the REAL pressure on N Texas to come up w/ a new stadium. :tup:

You are right, Houston is getting to where it needs to. This is only the beggining. After the next 3 segments of rail are completed by 2008 things are gonna really pick up. Iv'e been out downtown on several occasions on the weekday and weekend. It doesn't dissappoint.

Is there any word on the host committee's plans for the baseball All-Star game? Although the clientele is somewhat different from that of the Superbowl, but it should get us more positive exposure as a great place to host major events. The timing for the new stadiums and basketball arena couldn't have been better.

Hats off to the city of Houston for making the D/FW metroplex look stupid yet again. :tup: 3 new state of the art stadiums in less than 2-4 years? :confused: LOL! LMAO! :lmao:

This is Dallas------> Duuuuhhhhhhhhhhhh:dead: lol

High schools here have better "state of the art stadiums" than the professional teams (and that AA center ain't about jack - to me). It looks stupid (from 35E) sitting in that part of Dallas w/ high-power power lines and railroad tracks all around it. :smh:

Why such negative comments??:rolleyes:
I don't think Houston or myself will ever have to defend the party scene downtown after this past weekend. As far as tonight, check out club "Live" on Main and Preston (Downtown).....then on Thursday night, check out the Milkshake at the M Bar (Downtown) and on Friday or Sat. check out Visions (Downtown). :eek:

I know for sure these spots are jumping...Superbowl or Not:D

LaCumba,

And now that the festivities are over, downtown has returned to being a ghost-town. Um, try walking in downtown houston tonight with an open liquor container in your hand. They even had signs posted this weekend... "No alcoholic beverages beyond this point." Houston has a LOOOOONG way to go. And as for the crowds, now that the stars are gone, please tell me who is coming downtown to walk the streets and ride the "Train from Hell".

Give it-up brother. Big Bank Texas takes little bank Louisania. Houston has already jump Atlanta and Tampa for the next Superbowl (as well as other NCAA santioned events) and will be in the Big 4/5 for the regular rotation. If San Diego does not build a new stadium by 2008. Houston may jump New Orleans in 2009 if not Houston will get it the year after New Orleans in 2010. The NFL Executives love the facility structure of the Reliant/Astro complex. It is a done deal. The owner knows his people and has quickly move up the rank and file latter of the NFL owners list. He is in the in crowd, my friend. You all better hope Dallas does not come to play, because they have more economic power and NFL brass than Houston and could really push New Orleans behind the 8 ball. They woke up the sleeping giant.

The Great State of Texas!!!!!!!!

Texas don't care rolling plates in anybodies state.

Originally posted by Jafus (Thinker)
LaCumba,

Give it-up brother. Big Bank Texas takes little bank Louisania. Houston has already jump Atlanta and Tampa for the next Superbowl (as well as other NCAA santioned events) and will be in the Big 4/5 for the regular rotation. If San Diego does not build a new stadium by 2008. Houston may jump New Orleans in 2009 if not Houston will get it the year after New Orleans in 2010. The NFL Executives love the facility structure of the Reliant/Astro complex. It is a done deal. The owner knows his people and has quickly move up the rank and file latter of the NFL owners list. He is in the in crowd, my friend. You all better hope Dallas does not come to play, because they have more economic power and NFL brass than Houston and could really push New Orleans behind the 8 ball. They woke up the sleeping giant.

The Great State of Texas!!!!!!!!

Texas don't care rolling plates in anybodies state.
WOW! I can't wait to see how many peeps flock to main street after the PV/TSU game this weekend. Should be AT LEAST 5 to 10 thousands peeps compared to the 100K that showed up for SuperBowl. I mean, Houston has been declared a "Partying City" right? Another 3 to 5 years before Houston will get krunk again? Whoop Tee Phuggin Doo!:lol:

Nobody declared Houston a party city. We are talking about the overall attractiveness of a city to host big events. Houston is finally getting the infrastructure in place to do such. The quality of entertainment downtown will only get better as more affluent people are moving downtown and into midtown.

Originally posted by LaCumba
WOW! I can't wait to see how many peeps flock to main street after the PV/TSU game this weekend. Should be AT LEAST 5 to 10 thousands peeps compared to the 100K that showed up for SuperBowl. I mean, Houston has been declared a "Partying City" right? Another 3 to 5 years before Houston will get krunk again? Whoop Tee Phuggin Doo!:lol:

:rolleyes:

So da "L" what. You hate Houston. Sheesh ... Who gives a .....
Next..

We know what Houston is, and what it has to offer.

I do a lot of Business Downtown. Most of the time Im there at night. Trust me it has a nightlife. Redcat Jazz Cafe, Sambuca, Live, M Bar, Mercury Room, Grasshopper I could go on... Perhaps these places are to classy for your taste.

Why am I defending the 4th largest city in the US to you.

Originally posted by LaCumba

Houston being a relatively recent large metro is not at the top of the list of downtown-oriented metros. Texas is big and the whole idea there is expanse for crying out loud. Houston will never be a Boston or land-locked San Fransisco for example. nobody's coming to downtown tonight, but that's because they are all spread throughout the metro/suburbs. cities like N.O. are unique due to their heritage and history and age, but generally the metros in the south are not downtown oriented.

Originally posted by lil_j
Nobody declared Houston a party city. We are talking about the overall attractiveness of a city to host big events. Houston is finally getting the infrastructure in place to do such. The quality of entertainment downtown will only get better as more affluent people are moving downtown and into midtown.

I just assumed that affluent people were already lived downtown.

Originally posted by Bartram
Houston being a relatively recent large metro is not at the top of the list of downtown-oriented metros. Texas is big and the whole idea there is expanse for crying out loud. Houston will never be a Boston or land-locked San Fransisco for example. nobody's coming to downtown tonight, but that's because they are all spread throughout the metro/suburbs. cities like N.O. are unique due to their heritage and history and age, but generally the metros in the south are not downtown oriented.

This perspective might not be popular, but it pretty much sums it up.

Back